Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

I just fired up my Taurus 52
I have owned it for over 14 months and been working/waiting on my project and electronics,so I could do a test run.
Getting it to start was simple and it sounded nice and smooth and responded very well right from start up.
I have big expectations after reading countless positive posts,and I am sure this motor will put a smile on my face.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Taurus 52 with wrap around pitts muffler in grat condition that is surplus to my needs that I woudl like to offer up for sale to any of the Taurus fans.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
nitro wing

How about some details,the muffler is stock?
How much time and fuel thru it,been crashed,been to Taurus for a check up since bought? Which ignition.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I just listed it in the classifieds

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=395643
Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
ottertok
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Rocketman612

Just wanted to give a shout about the GREAT service Bill gives his Taurus owners. I have a TS42 in my PW Extra300 and am very pleased with the performance. Sent the engine in for a checkup after a landing mishap[&o] Bill went over everything and he got the 42 back to me in fine shape.

Finally got the Cool Taurus Sticker to place on plane[8D]

Thanks,

Pete

Has anyone put a TS52 or 69 in an Exterme Flight 88in Yak???

Hi Pete, just talked to Bill yesterday and bought a 52 and a 69. The 69 will be going in my EF 88" Yak and the 52 will be going in my EF 74" Yak.

Thanks Ed.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ottertok

Just wanted to give a shout about the GREAT service Bill gives his Taurus owners. I have a TS42 in my PW Extra300 and am very pleased with the performance. Sent the engine in for a checkup after a landing mishap[&o] Bill went over everything and he got the 42 back to me in fine shape.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete, just talked to Bill yesterday and bought a 52 and a 69. The 69 will be going in my EF 88" Yak and the 52 will be going in my EF 74" Yak.

Thanks Ed.

Ed,

Please post photo's of your installation and a flight report. You better hurry summer is almost over

Pete
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheEdge

I just listed it in the classifieds

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=395643
What happened to your ad? It says inactive now.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM
ottertok

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks Ed.

Ed,

Please post photo's of your installation and a flight report. You better hurry summer is almost over

Pete

Hi Pete, these two planes are going to be my winter projects so it might be a while until something gets posted. I'm flying my Seagull Harrier for the rest of this season.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 PM
nitro wing

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks Ed.
Ottertok
I love my Taurus 52
I also own the EF Yak 54 74 inch

Please do not put the 52 in the Yak,it wont work,its way too big,too heavy,and way too powerful,never mind the throttle back attitude.
Trust me on this,it s a real bad idea,really bad.The 52 will fly the 88 inch with authority when broke in.It will destroy the 74 inch at idle.

Each item is a great product,but they will not make a sensible,safe or a flyable combination.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
ottertok

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks Ed.
Ottertok
I love my Taurus 52
I also own the EF Yak 54 74 inch

Please do not put the 52 in the Yak,it wont work,its way too big,too heavy,and way too powerful,never mind the throttle back attitude.
Trust me on this,it s a real bad idea,really bad.The 52 will fly the 88 inch with authority when broke in.It will destroy the 74 inch at idle.

Each item is a great product,but they will not make a sensible,safe or a flyable combination.
Hi nitro wing, so should I stick with my original plan of putting my Saito 220 in it? Or should I put my Saito 180 in it?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
nitro wing

Maybe wait for others to chime in on that also.I dont want to be the only source of guidance.
In my opinion the Saito 180 and 220 would power it (74 inch) to its potential,if you have these engines on hand,that would be ideal,as both motors cost a bit of funds.

The Taurus 52 would power the 88 inch very well.
The 69cc would probably be the ticket if you wanted insane/unlimited power on regular exhaust.
Take this as my educated input,I am not a know it all,just trying to help fellows to build a good performance combination that is reliable ,safe and fun
Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
ottertok

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Maybe wait for others to chime in on that also.I dont want to be the only source of guidance.
In my opinion the Saito 180 and 220 would power it (74 inch) to its potential,if you have these engines on hand,that would be ideal,as both motors cost a bit of funds.

The Taurus 52 would power the 88 inch very well.
The 69cc would probably be the ticket if you wanted insane/unlimited power on regular exhaust.
Take this as my educated input,I am not a know it all,just trying to help fellows to build a good performance combination that is reliable ,safe and fun
Sounds great, any help is appreciated. I do have both Saito's, from what I have read they say the optimum engine would be either the OS 160 FX or the Saito 180. I got a specially made motor mount from Merle Hyde to mount the Saito 220 so I have the proper prop hub distance so I'll try that engine first and see how it balances and weighs out and if it doesn't work out I'll put the Saito 180 in it. On the 88" Yak I'll probably use the TS 69 because it will be my IMAC plane.

Thanks Ed.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 PM
ottertok

Well things have changed since my last post. Crashed the Harrier, sold the 74" Yak and never got delivery of the 88" Yak, so my plans have changed. The 52 will go on the shelf for now and the 69 might find a home in a Comp-Arf 2.3 Extra 300L I just picked up. Let me know if you think the TS 69 will be enough engine for the Comp. Most posts I've read on the 2.3 engine installs are ZDZ 80, 3W 75iUS, ZDZ 80B2, BME 110 and DA 85. Sounds like a lot of power guys are putting in this plane.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you watch the accessories you put in the 2.3 the 69 will be good. You don't need redundant batteries, switches, choke servos, power boxes, or cut offs if you use good stuff for everything. A simple 4.8v, 1,000mAh nicad pack for the ignition and an A123 2,300 mAh pack for the flight battery will do well. Agreed you will need to field charge the A123 every few flights but it only takes about 15 minutes. Plus ou get more voltage delivered to the servos without concern for a regulator. Faster and stronger!! Keep the added wood to a minimum, the structure is plenty strong as it is. A lot of people need more power to carry the excess weight they added during assembly
Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 AM
ottertok

Thanks for the great advise, I plan on building it as light as possible and your way sounds the best.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
T-one

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the glowing remarks.. Been awhile since Iwas here.
This time it is because of one of our friends. Its an opportunity to help and possibly get a good deal.
We have been asked to help with an estate to help with final expenses.
One of the great things of our hobby is helping one another. Maybe someone out there will be interested.
for openers.
1) TS 72, 72cc 4.4cu.in pitts muffler C/H auto ignition, radial mount LIKE NEW W/3yr.warrany ret, $768.00 $600 OBO this one may be sold
1) Bully 2.2 new in box never run complete with factory ignition $325.00 OBO
1) Sachs Dolmar 45cc 2.6cu.in magneto ignition newer run w manual $275.00 OBO

please address all inquiries to [email protected]

I personally know these engines.
thanks hope some can help out.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
T-one

If anyone is interested in the above engines check the classifieds.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
T-one

Just an update to my previous post asking for help of a former customer.
the 4.4cu.in. TS 72 has been sold.
The Bully 35 and the Sachs 45cc are still available.Both new.
Just FYI
Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

hi t-one, i'm the man who bought the 72cc. have'nt run it yet though. bill i bought it and the one the 52cc the edge had posted in ads. i talked to bill one day after i bought eng and was appalled the fact he is not building these great engs any longer!!!! 9correct me if i'm wrong). he said he would'nt or could'nt compete with the cheap imports. what a travisty!!!!!!!!! just about everyone in us is working for the chinese. we have done it to ourselves again!!!!! if his company is indeed not building taurus eng anymore then we have lost possilby the best bang for the buck eng out there. what a shame and shame on us!!!! i read thru whole taurus thread, threads on the chines engs. and i just shake my head. just about everyone moahing and groaning about all there whoes and probs. when all we had to do was make sure bill stayed in bus. by just supporting him and his company!!! WELL WE'VE DONE IT TO OURSELVES!!!!!! mayb if we stop buying all those crap imports and be willing to spend a reasonable amount of money for a really good eng. we could talk him into coming out of moth balls and start producing for us a line of eng that we can use, and not be burnt any longer. so let's hear boys WE WHAT A QUALITY ENG AGAIN BUILT IN AMERICA!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried, man, Lord knows I tried, but most everyone only saw the difference in dollar amounts.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:11 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

thanks tired old man, i'm not rich, i pinsh pennys like most everyone. i remember a saying i heard years ago: "if you by the very best quality products you can (shoes, suits, cook whare, etc.), you most always will be satisfied with them and quality will last." well i'm afraid we have shot ourselves in the foot. bought cheap imports we cry when they break. well too, too, bad we have do it ourselves. if ya go cheap, it breaks keep it to yourself. we have lost some really good engine people and companys to the all mighty cheap imports. gentlmen the s....t has yet to hit the fan. i just hope no one gets hurt or injured when these cheap engines let go and an airplane crashes into a crown!!!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's true that Bill is no longer building engines, it's not because of competition from cheap imports. DA sells plenty of engines and they compete in the same market. I own 2 taurus engines, Bill's the best engine builder there is; He's also one of the worst marketer's there is.

If you didn't read about his product on here, you'd never know about it unless you came across his tiny booth at the Toledo show.

His web site is way out of date, has very little information, it even asks you to call him for a price, doesn't have a shopping cart, yada yada yada... and it's been that way for years.

It's not enough to produce a great product, you have to let everyone know you produce a great product!

Many people like myself will pay to get the best and wouldn't even consider a chinese made engine. Bill has not been able to reach enough of those people.

In all the years of flying my Taurus's , I have never come across another one at the field or events, when I'm asked what's in it for power because it runs so good, no one ever recognises the brand. This includes IMAC and giant scale circles who should know this brand.

The chinese have done a very good job of marketing their product. It's readily available on line and they have quickly built a distribution network.

So before jumping on the buy American , anti import band wagon and blaming the chinese for all the woes, take a look at the business model and you'll find your answers there. The people buying these cheap engines would not be Taurus customers any how; the one's who would buy them, don't know about them.

Mike

Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

yep i still have my 52 and to date it's the best engine i have!
don't know what i will do now if i ever need parts,because i am going to run this engine till it dies.
is Bill totally out of business now,not working at all?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
T-one

Mike, there is some truth in what you say.Only this. We felt when we started that since the engine wasn't made for the masses, if we did want to sell it would be by word of mouth.
We did that and it worked. We also had a booth that also worked. We advertised in IMAA HIGH FLIGHT for years. But when you look at what our manufacturing costs were and the advertising costs were, something had to go. The engine wasn't.
Marketing is a wonderfull word,if you have the $$$$$. Taurus didn't in spite of selling all over the world, not many but world wide.
We will not sacrifice quality, performance or service to try to lower our price. Our machinests work for U.S.dollars not vegetables. If you are a working stiff yourself I'm sure you don't work for pennies either.
Anyway,Taurus is still alive doing repairs from mishaps and selling an engine or two.
One nice thing about a Taurus is you won't hear the traditional CRANK RATTLE like heard from from some other engines after a few gallons because the rear en of the crank is unsupported.

If you run the engine the way it was designed it will outlast the owner. I'm still running the first ones made, 14 years. So far replaced one piston ring in one, and a front seal because of sand between the hub and case. Dumb thumbs.
Thanks to all the Taurus supporters. Because of you, we are still here.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey guys, I have a taurus 52cc engine too so I am going to jump in here.
Yes, it is the best gasser that I have had and I love it. I have it on my DP extra 330L. The firewall is built to the max for it and needs it because this engine is a real stump puller. Greatest thing about it is it's smooth range from idle to full throttle. No burping, no hesitation.
I was running premium unleaded in it with amsiol 100-1 and it ran pretty good. But after flying hard for about 15 minutes or so, it would get hot (in the summer) and would start being less consistent. I changed to 112 octane racing fuel and ran between 80-85:1 amsoil and it ran cooler, had more power and the engine run from start to finish is as smooth as silk. I never looked back and now that is what I run all the time. Oh, it smells really good too (like a dragster)! I am not a really great 3D pilot or anything but I am learning. I fly mostly IMAC stuff right now and practice the 3d stuff as often as I can.
Yes, support this company - these guys really know what they are doing.

here is a video of me flying my DP extra.
P.S. don't make fun of my shady flying LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukUIP_Jt-y8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQboS...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.