Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 PM
excaliber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

flyinfish44, only 10 miles away?? make a phone call.
22X10 a little too much prop(my opinion) 20x10 would be a better start.
field experts aare a dime a dozen, do yourself a big favor and call Taurus, they made the engine and will make sure you get the best out of the engine.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flyinfish44.....I concur with Excaliber. From what you say it sounds like you may be a little lean on the low end. Nothing wrong with checking it to see. It's not rocket science after all. But like you say, sometimes Bill is a little hard to get in touch with. I have a BME 44 that I prop with a 21 X 8 and It works out fine for my use. Waco UAF7 at 15.4 lb. Good Luck and you'll really like the 4.2. Bob
Old 12-19-2006, 12:01 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Welp.....i spent the last few weeks doing research on 50cc engines , and have read completely through this thread and the "taurus owner's" thread. I also did a ton of research on the DA , BME (which i almost was going to get) along with the "is it ever going to come out" BME 55 , the ZDV and a few other's...........and i have decided to go with the Taurus 52!!

I don't think i have ever read so many good compliments on a single engine or the company that makes them than all the good info i have read hear on these taurus engines. I have not even seen one run or flown in a plane. BOB......you should be a paid spokes person. you are definetly one happy customer. i have read through just about every single thread considering taurus , and you guys are right.....i couldn't find one bad thing that had been said about these motor's. in that regards , i just got done writting taurus a small email , wanting the price on the T-52 and exaust. I'm going to mounting it up onto a smaller 30% AM (sd-models) Yak.

have any of you had experince with this combo? If i remeber right , i thought i had read that someone had , but i don't remember which thread it was.

any advice you guys can give me would be great1 thanks for all the info guys.

JEFF
Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

You made a good choice. [8D]

The hardest part is done (trying to decide) now comes the FUN!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:17 AM
torqmeister

You will be very happy with your purchase. If I were buying a new 50cc engine, it would be a Taurus 52.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:33 PM
JEFFRO503

yeah from what i have read , it seems alot of guys are really happy with the performance of these engines. I wrote Bill @ taurus late last night , and by this morning i already had a reply with a price. Great response time is always a good thing. Once i get the motor , get installed and actually wait for the weather to clear up , i'll come back with a flight report as well.

JEFF
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM
T-one

We've been busy as late and not able to get here.
Thanks for the confidence in Taurus and from others the kind words.
Our goals have been and continue to be to make the best product we can and when needed provide the best service. Although there may be a time when time is our enemy and a delay might be involved. We only ask for a little consideration in that regard. No engine will go out the shop door unless it meets all the specs and we are satisfied.
Thanks to all, Our wishes to all for a Happy,Healthy Holiday season and New Year.
See you at the field
Old 12-23-2006, 05:50 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

T-one can you tell me the current price of the 52 with shippingi included . Thanks Bruce
Old 12-24-2006, 02:34 AM
dougtx

Out of curiosity, what prop are you guys running on the TS-52?

I have a TS-52 on a 17 year old RoadRunner, and so far I have only tried two different props, a Zinger 22x8 Pro / NX 23x8, even at 17lbs it will hang on the prop and under half throttle. The NX 23x8 seems to perform a little better.

I am getting ready to put the Taurus on a AirWild 29% Extra 260 and would like to pick the best prop without having to buy and try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Easy starting, very smooth, good throttle response, high power, Taurus!
Old 12-24-2006, 02:50 AM
BAS

I run the MSC 22/8 It has excellant down line braking and really pulls like a stump. I havent tried the nx 22 or 23 /8 on it but i am happy with the MSC. I have mine on a Aviation Models Edge 540 30% .
Old 12-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start out with a XOAR or Wild Hare 22-8. Your NX is of the same variety and fits easily within the power band. Eliminate the Zinger prop from your hanger. Performance planes and engines benefit from performance propellers, and the Zinger does not fall into that catagory. Using one will take the performance curve backwards.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:05 AM
dougtx

I agree about the Zinger, performance seems to fall short. I am not sure if it is flattening out or what is going on but the RPM’s seem too high with the Zinger and its bark is louder than its bite.

The reason I am curious about other props is, unfortunately, the NX was short lived, I caught it on the door frame today carrying it out to the car, only about 5 flights on it, and while I really liked the performance, I thought that this might be the time to try a 3rd type or find out if there is one better before I order another NX.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the XOAR 22 X 8 and am happy with it. Though I haven't tried many others.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 AM
camss69

I'm also running the NX 22X8 and I'm getting close to finishing my 4th gallon of GAS. What is the usual break in period for one of these engines?

I'm wondering if I should move to a different size prop or stick with what i have. 23X8? I almost hate to change it because I'm happy with what I have now.

Bill what say you?

3D/IMAC type flying..
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 AM
BAS

If you like the performance of the nx why change?? i have about 4 gallons thru mine now and it runs stronger all the time. They are tight when new i would say your getting close to break in .
Old 12-24-2006, 11:44 AM
camss69

Really my question should have been... Is this the best prop to continue to use now after break-in for my type of flying. Can I gain performance moving to a different prop, I'm completely overpowered now but hey if there's more available why not use it! I would probably stay with NX since they are locally available.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to load up the engine a bit more and even out the rpm spread then an MSC 22-8 would fir in pretty good. More rpm from one of the carbon fiber variety will provide more rpm, but lower hover performance. You'll have to spend a few bucks to find the prop that works best for you all the time. I've come to like the MSC for all around performance on the stronger 50cc engines.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:53 PM
T-one

Happy Holidays, Prop selection also depends on where you fly and what type of plane.
Of the props we have tested we feel the XOAR, MSC, NX and some Menz work well. The TS 52 is quite happy with anything from the 20X10 (3) blade on up, most flatlanders prefer the XOAR 23/8 (2) blade for aerobatics. In our opinion the Zinger is to flexible and does not utilize the full power of the TS 52 torque range.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:26 AM
dougtx

I have a question regarding the TS-52 and spinners.

I know I know it’s not a Tru-Turn, (even if it were a Tru-Turn I think the issue would be the same) but I purchased a 4” Dave Brown Vortech Spinner.

The TS-52 (6 bolt hub) has the center shaft threaded for a 10-32 bolt, which is all fine and dandy, however, due to the length of the spinner, it looks like I will need a 10-32 bolt that is approximately 4” long in order to reach, and properly thread into, the prop shaft.

Is this correct, or am I suppose to use some sort of adaptor?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Nothing special about a 4 inch 10-32 allen bolt...McFadden-Dale hardware in Corona, CA, has 10-32s at least 6 inches long..
Old 01-19-2007, 02:22 AM
dougtx

RCIGN1

4 inches seems a little long for a spinner bolt, maybe this is normal, but do you see an issue in using such a long bolt?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

No problems...We use 6 inch Tru Turn spinners on our race planes turning 10,000 rpm...All the bolt does is hold the spinner against the backplate, there's not much stress there....
Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

any of you guy's running a canister or tune pipe on th 52, if so what rpm's are you getting.i just got mine from Bill with his pitts muffler, and by the way it looks to be one of the best built pitts i have seen.he told me that he will have pipes and canister and headers at Toledo show this year but didn't have them ready when i place the order.
thanks for any info.
ENJOY!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 AM
camss69

ORIGINAL: dougtx

I have a question regarding the TS-52 and spinners.

I know I know it’s not a Tru-Turn, (even if it were a Tru-Turn I think the issue would be the same) but I purchased a 4” Dave Brown Vortech Spinner.

The TS-52 (6 bolt hub) has the center shaft threaded for a 10-32 bolt, which is all fine and dandy, however, due to the length of the spinner, it looks like I will need a 10-32 bolt that is approximately 4” long in order to reach, and properly thread into, the prop shaft.

Is this correct, or am I suppose to use some sort of adaptor?
I'm running the same setup with no problems, I had them drill and cut it for me also.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:18 AM
JEFFRO503

ORIGINAL: closetguy

any of you guy's running a canister or tune pipe on th 52, if so what rpm's are you getting.i just got mine from Bill with his pitts muffler, and by the way it looks to be one of the best built pitts i have seen.he told me that he will have pipes and canister and headers at Toledo show this year but didn't have them ready when i place the order.
thanks for any info.
ENJOY!
I too am also curious on the cannister setup on one of these engines and if there would be any power gain at all. I love the sounds of a canned muffler anyways , and i think i am going to end up getting one of the new QQ yak 86" planes when they come out and it's set up for a single can install.

T-BOB have to done much testing on the cannister set up , and if so , do you have any numbers on PRM and such. I have made my ind up for sure and am going to get one of these T-52's , but am curious on the can set ups and how they can affect power............and would it be worth it to gain a slight amount of power but be a heck of a lot quiter than the pitts.

JEFF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.