Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

In answer to someone's question as to which engine was best, I made a statement that "You can't find a negative comment on any thread about a "Taurus," engine. even though I realized at the time when I made it, I was setting myself up for controversy. Now, after a couple of months have past, I have received several PM's regarding my comments, so I'm going to respond in this way.
I would like for anyone that has owned, or had 1st hand experience with the "Taurus" engine," to give us there overall opinion of it.
In doing so, I would like for the responders to follow this simple criteria.

1: You must have owned a "Taurus," engine (or have used or observed someone else who has).

2: Give your overall, personal opinion as to it's ]Reliability, Smoothness of operation, Starting, Transition, Quality, and customer service.

Most of all, this thread is not meant to be a popularity contest to decide which engine is the best, or, who has the best customer service. There are many engines to choose from on the market today: DA, 3W, BME, ZDZ, BRISON, SACHS, QUADRA, AND ZENOAH. I own, and fly every one of them, and I like them all. Each engine has it's own particular traits that are unique to it's MFG. They also have their own following who swear by their engine. (thats called brand loyality) Let's face it, the majority of flyer's today are just "MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO." Go to any flying field today and you will see that most of the "NEWBIES," use the same kind of radio, use the same kind of motor, as the top pilot's at that field, and they assume that if the BIG BOYS are using it, it has to be the best and soon they will be telling everyone else which is best without ever having owned, or used any other make of engine, or radio and really don't any have any "usuable" knowledge about that which they speak.

It's not up to them or me to tell you which engine is the best. Just read the threads. You'll see which engine has the most complaints, and the least complaints, and it won't take very long at all. And, as to "CUSTOMER SERVICE," my feeling on that matter is "The best customer service, is no customer service."(when it comes to engine repair) Read the Threads then YOU, decide for yourself which is best. After all it's your money.

This thread is not to tell you that Taurus engines are the best (even though I think they are), but to simply respond to the statement I made. I know there will be those who respond that have never even seen a Taurus engine, much less owned one. But, Please, let's keep it on the subject.

Finally I think that when the OWNERS of these Taurus engines respond to this thread,they will determine one way or the other, if what I said was true or not. And, we may even find out that there just may be more Taurus engines being flown out there than is realized.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Bob Laine

Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

My post was lost. I rewrite it later.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:09 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Why does the Taurus run so much better then the other Sachs based gas engines?

Dave
Old 10-02-2005, 01:08 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: davewallace

Hello,
Why does the Taurus rus so much better then the other Sachs based gas engines?

Dave
That's a really good question, and nobody knows the complete answer except Taurus. It's easy to speculate though. Just because different manufacturer's start with the same OEM's cylinder/head assembly does not make those engines equal in any way. First, it would be very easy to do some simple mods on those stock cylinders to increase power, secondly, the bottomend of the Taurus is their own design, though people will argue some of those components(namely the crank) are OEMed too, so therefore they're ths same. That too is bunk. It is also easy to do minor mods to the lower-end components to make them lighter, stronger, and to make the engine run more smoothly and with more power, which is obvious what Taurus does, though the exact nature of those mods are unknown, and for good reason.

I ran a car racing spec class for years that only allowed very limited modifications, basically blueprinting(bringing all specs to their optimum setting, within manufacturer's tolerances), which by itself, made impressive power and smoothness improvements over a "stock" engine.

Even if Taurus was only blueprinting a stock chainsaw motor(which they are doing a lot more than that), the engine would be vastly superior in reliability, power and smoothness to a manufacturer that did not put the same effort into their engines.

Let's face it, the guys at Taurus really know what they're doing. It's no different than say in Nascar Nextel Cup; everyone has the same basic components to work with, and they all have access to great talents for all aspects of building their motors, but some are just more talented than others and end up with more powerful, and more reliable, engines.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

And they are just damn fine people to do business with. I just received a TS52 about 3 weeks ago and although I will not get to run it until May of '06 my impressions so far are 110%. We e-mailed and talked on the phone back and forth while I was trying to "make up my mind" and Bill made me feel like I was his only customer. I even e-mailed him some pics of where I work ( 400 miles above the Arctic Circle ) at his request. I don't know how it will run, but I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:47 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

anyone have a link to their website?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:08 PM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

anyone have a link to their website?
Hi mrbigg,

Here you go: www.taurus-engines.com

=======================

Ok Bob, now that this thread is going without a topic, how long are you going to keep us in suspense with what was really on your mind?....or did you do this on purpose.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
TOPGUN130643
My Feedback: (38)

I don't own a taurus but I'm gonna jump in here anyway. Bob allowed me to fly his KMP yak 54 with a TS 52 on it and I have to say that is the smoothest running engine I have ever seen with flawless transition. The TS 52 really impressed me so I know one day I will be showing up at the field with one.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Apparently some of you people have never seen a twin....It's a physical impossiblity to perfectly balance a single cylinder engine...Maybe Taurus has rewritten the laws of physics..
Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 PM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1
Maybe Taurus has rewritten the laws of physics..

Hey Ralph,

Hmmm, maybe we need to consider that possibility. It would explain a lot.

....though back to reality, I think it is implied that all the vibration comparisons are to other singles and not twins.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM
TOPGUN130643

In over 35 years of living model aviation I have owned it, seen it, or flew it. I really wasn't comparing my experience with the TS52 to a twin cylinder engine but I guess more to the single cylinder engines in it's class. As I say I don't own a taurus and am not going to say what 50cc engines I own because I don't think Bob meant for this forum to be for comparisons. I will say the taurus was the smoothest running single cylinder engine that I have seen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15239.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	332886  
Old 10-02-2005, 08:36 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

It is nice to see that there are others as loyal to Taurus as to the folks that are to DA or 3W or ZDZ. At least it is a positive thing. Taurus engines are a good choice and a good option for someone looking here for options and opinions. Taurus does offer an execellent product and will stand behind what they produce, We need more...
Old 10-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Bob Laine

OK Bill, I'll get the comments I was going to make written tomorrow. I spent 1 1/2 hours writting them this morning before I went to church, only too find out that when I posted them, the only thing posted was the "Tease" Quickly though, in answer to the question about the two different engines, (SACHS & TAURUS) the asumption that the Taurus engine is "SACH's" based is incorrect. The only thing common between the two engines is the cylinder. But.....even the cylinders are different when they are closely compared one to the other. I don't think one could call a GREYHOUND, a BLOODHOUND, just because they are both dogs? But as John, (my brother) said, This thread is not meant to compare one engine against the other. It will simply be a thread to confirm, (or dis-credit) a statement that I made awhile back.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Bob Laine

What's with the arrow? Sneaky...Sneaky
Old 10-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Bob Laine

Come on Ralph, Let's not be so picky-picky. Besides, you know that it is a psyical impossibility to perfectly ballance even a TWIN engine. Because nothing is perfect except maybe your ignition.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:33 PM
TOPGUN130643

I'm sorry bob but i'm sneaky by nature
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Topgun said ENGINE..
Wish my ignition was perfect..Fact is, something is going wrong and there's no way I can figure out what it is...I will be using C&H circuits until the problem is gone..If I can't find it C&H will have me for a customer and a whole bunch of my stock components will be going in the trash can, I will NOT sell something that doesn't work....
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 AM
Bob Laine

Ralph, Thank you for you honesty. That's why you have a reputation of always giving an straight forward, honest opinion, based on fact. I have no doubt that which ever way you decide to go will be for the improvement of your product, rather than a larger profit margin.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Bob Laine

I finally got my thread to Post.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

2: Give your overall, personal opinion as to it's ]Reliability, Smoothness of operation, Starting, Transition, Quality, and customer service.

Ok, I'll play. Even though lots of people reading this will already know my opinion and experience, as it has been documented many times in the past, but here goes...

I hate Taurus......JUST KIDDING.... My primary experience was with a TS-42 in a Dave Patrick 27% Extra. I had owned at that time all of the brands Bob has mentioned in his post plus a couple more. I too had had good experiences with all of them, though I did have my favorites. I bought the Taurus because of the urging from an online friend that swore by his, and said I should try one. I certainly did not expect to become the vocal proponent I became after spending some time with that engine.

From the beginning it was a very positive experience. The engine was cosmetically attractive and appeared to be made of quality materials and constructed with care. I was not disappointed. From the first time I started it, I knew the Taurus was different. Even new, it started in a couple of flips of turning on the ignition, idled at a relatively slow(for a new engine) speed and very reliably, right from the start. It was easy to tune, with a very smooth and quick transition. Faster than any small gas engine I'd had. The next obvious thing I noticed was it was definitely smoother than any other single I'd ever owned. I had been told this, but didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

The engine continued to perform reliably, in starting and performance as long as I had it. The other thing that was amazing is that it was the most powerful engine I'd had in that size range too, and still is from what I can ascertain from the current numbers people are posting for engines that size....and 50's. That's a very difficult one to prove since there are so many variables involved, but I guarantee you it definitely was not lacking power.

I really can't see you going wrong with a Taurus. I continue to try other engines because it's my nature to experiment, but nothing has topped it yet, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to own another one.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Flip and Fly

Well I just E mailed Taurus to get some info on the 4.4. Responded back the same day. Any one else have any experience with this motor.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:09 AM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

I have owned a Taurus 52 and and fly a 62. The engines are NOT vibration free, but for single bangers they are a LOT smoother than the average engine. Bill says it's the careful balancing of the shaft and the third bearing at the back of the engine that contributes most to the smooth running. They are GREAT engines, as powerful as anything out there, totally realiable and with great service Surprise -- they ask and get a good price for them. They are really hard to buy used as people usually don't sell them.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 AM
G McIntosh
My Feedback: (9)

Flip & Fly; My buddies and myself bought 4 Taurus 4.4 ci engines a few years ago.. Two of the engines are flying in 33 lb , 100"ws Mustangs. We bought these engines site unseen after talking to Bill O., for awhile.. We've never been disappointed.. Bill is an outstanding person to deal with excellant service and support. Our 4.4's are one of the smoothest running engines one could ask for. Using CH-ignitions, they start first time everytime .. wonderfull smooth Idle and powerful to boot. Glenn M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69474.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	333847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18596.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	333848  
Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Bob Laine

Very good post Bill. That's exactly the way I feel about "Taurus" engines, and I suspect most, if not all of the others who do now or have in the past owned this engine, feel the same way. I have the same feeling for "TAURUS" engines, that I have for the "Volkswagon," automobile.(the old one) They both are as close to being perfect as one could hope for, yet they've been that way since day one. Someday I hope everyone will have an opportunity to run one of these exceptional engines, because only by seeing for themselves, will they truly understand why We, as "Taurus" owners are so loyal to this engine. Running one is an experience one won't forget, Flying one is even better. Even if you don't purchase one, I bet you still won't have anything negative to say about the engine...... I guess some may say that a few of us Myself, bpryor AJF and Excaliber, are just a "CULT" follow'ers, and I do admit I'm a sucker most all small gas engines we use for our "TOY" PLANES, and sometimes it might even hurt when I have to part with one of them. I just seem to be a magnet for this stuff, and aquire so many large airplanes, I run into storage constraints. Then, I'm forced to sell something so I can buy something. Guess it must be in the "genes," because my two brothers, John, & Ronnie, are just as bad as I am.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Bob Laine

Soon.......Bill will be introducing an INLINE twin for those Mustangs. OHH happy days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.