Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 110 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:03 AM
doorvp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME 110 starting problem

Has anyone had a BME 110 xtreme (brand new engine) that will only run backwards. After numerous attempts to try and start it for the 1st time, I gave it a clockwise flip and it started right up! I can't get it to even fire when flipping it CCW.

Signed,
Frustrated in Oregon
Old 11-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: BME 110 starting problem

Any problem like this is best fixed by calling the manufacturer...If it has the C&H ignition and is timed for the Falkon it will never run....
Falkon timing is 2 degrees BTDC, C&H is 28 degrees BTDC...
Take a spark plug wire off and slowly rotate the crank counterclockwise..Make a pencil mark on the hub and the case exactly where you hear the spark...Put the engine on TDC..Measure the distance between the marks...If they're realy close it's Falkon timing, if farther apart it's C&H timing...The exact distance between the 2 marks will be found by multiplying the diameter of the hub by .244..
For the Falkon ignition the distance is almost too small to worry about, a few degrees either way makes no measureable difference in performance...

Old 11-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Reed valve motors run about as well at idle forwards or backwards.
Give it a healthy flip CCW.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:50 PM
RTK

Ralph's right, timing is wrong. Mine never has run backwards.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Antique

Reed GLOW motors run backwards, not spark ignition motors (engines)
Old 11-26-2005, 03:36 PM
doorvp

This darn thing does! I've checked the timing per an earlier response and found the timing to be approx 6 deg before TDC. It came with a CH ignition module that has more than sufficient spark in both wires. Any idea how to time one of these units? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 PM
NdFrSpeed

The best way is to contact BME,,,those engines start so easy,,,couple my flying buddies have those,,sweet engines,,somebody just got the timeing off on yours..they should be able to tell you how to get it back in time fairly easy.

NdFrSpeed
Old 11-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Diablo-RCU

My buddy's new DA-100 also loves to run backwards.
It runs very well forward too.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:45 PM
doorvp

I advanced the timing (after figuring out how to do it) about 8 degrees and it started right up!!
It runs great from idle right on up to full RPM. What a sweet engine!! I can't believe the power.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Antique

Timing instructions are in post #2
Old 11-26-2005, 06:53 PM
tkg

The CORRECT TIMING for a BME 110 with a CH ignition is 28 degrees BTDC NOT 6 or 8. Use RCign instructions or go th the CH web site and down load the degree wheel and instruction Then set the timing. Its not rocket science but you have to be careful and do it right.
Sounds like you got a crossover engine set up for Falkon.

ORIGINAL: doorvp

This darn thing does! I've checked the timing per an earlier response and found the timing to be approx 6 deg before TDC. It came with a CH ignition module that has more than sufficient spark in both wires. Any idea how to time one of these units? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Modified

My 110 did the same thing the first few times I fired it up. I leaned it up about a 1/4 turn on the low end and it hasn't done it since.
The only thing I don't like about the engine is it spools up very easy on down lines and gives very little breaking from the prop.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:46 AM
doorvp

I checked the timing and I'm 28-29 degrees BTDC. The only thing I've noticed is a black exhaust. Probably just needs the carb fine tuned.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need to try a different prop. Engine spool up on a down line and braking are both a function of the propeller, not the engine.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Not with the BME twins.
You can drop the throttle to idle on landing, and it will idle down but still be running a little fast until after it is below flying speed. Never understood why but I have one and a friend has one and they both do it.
ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Sounds like you need to try a different prop. Engine spool up on a down line and braking are both a function of the propeller, not the engine.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 AM
RTK

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Not with the BME twins.
You can drop the throttle to idle on landing, and it will idle down but still be running a little fast until after it is below flying speed. Never understood why but I have one and a friend has one and they both do it.

This does not happen with my 110 Geistware, Silversurfer has flown mine a couple of times and he can verify this. It might be something with the timing or tuning.

doorvp--I would not be doing a lot of extended run ups on the ground with any large gasser. Make sure it runs reliably and put it in the air.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Geistware

Interesting,
I have one of hte older 5.8ci that was converted to the newer 102 then 105. IN both cases this happens. My friend has a 100 that was converted to a 102 evo and his does the same thing. I know of one other person on this board who has a couple of 110's I am hoping he see this and chimes in. I don't know if his does that or not. I have used a MSC, Mejzlik, NX and Menz propeller and they all do this. I will admit that the MSC does it to a larger degree and the Mejzlik which I am running now does it to a less extent.

ORIGINAL: RTK

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Not with the BME twins.

This does not happen with my 110 Geistware, Silversurfer has flown mine a couple of times and he can verify this. It might be something with the timing or tuning.

doorvp--I would not be doing a lot of extended run ups on the ground with any large gasser. Make sure it runs reliably and put it in the air.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:06 PM
RTK

Geist----I have never owned a 102/105. How pronounced is this high idle?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geistware,

I can indeed verify that RTk's 110 drops to idle as soon as the stick is pulled. There is no "spool down" period of transition. However, RTK made a small modification to the jets of the carb on his per a suggestion from Kieth. The engine could not be richened up no matter what the needle settings were, so it was assumed that the engine rquired more fuel than the stock jets would provide. I believe the jets were drilled out to .56 using a numerical sized bit and fingers without any type of mandrel.

In thinking this thing through, an engine a bit on the lean side would have the possibility of not coming to idle as quick as it should. BTW, the elevations of the fields that RTK and I usually fly at are 1,300 and 100 feet, respectively.

Pat
Old 11-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Geistware

RTK & Silversurfer,
Very interesting, It is not very pronounced but is noticable.
To overcome it I changed my landing technique. I use to come in at 3-4 clicks above idle and when I was ready to touch down, I would drop the throttle to idle. The plane would slow touch down and then I had to wait until the engine speed dropped to idle before the plane would stop. Now I drop to idle and just bump my throttle every few seconds until I am ready to touch down. I learned this from another guy with a 3W who flys at a field close by.

If I had to guess, I would say that the difference is 200-400 RPM. It is very repeatable and just causes you to go around if it doesn't drop soon enough. I will say that my engine is on the rich side up until saturday where I leaned it enough that after 6 flights, all soot and carbon is gone from the exhaust except around the outlet nipple.

I am going to attribute it to the fact that my engine/ignition is different from everyone else and it is a condition that only I have. It is interesting that I have had people at competitions ask me why I land on high idle. Instead of going through the long discussion I just say because I don't want the engine to shut off. They just smile and figure they will leave the idiot alone <lol>
Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Dave A

My 110 does the same thing ... takes a little bit to idle down that is. It's still running a bit on the rich side, which may have something to do with it. I either lenghten my approach so it will slow down or I slip it in, which is a lot more fun to do. I was figuring it would stop doing it when I leaned it out. I think it has just finally broken in after 5 gals. Tuning has been a bit unpredictable up to this point. Nice light enging though and it pulls well.

Dave A
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

I'd just line it up, cut the throttle, and land it dead stick. Thats what I had to do with my DA100 when the low needle was set too lean. BTW my BME110 idles down perfectly, everytime, no problems at all.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Geistware

I had thought about landing deadstick.
A lot of guys here do that with the big planes.
I like to have the ability to go around.
A long landing ends in a crash at my field.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 PM
RTK

Geistware---There must be something different in our set-up that would cause some people's to do it and others not.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Geistware

I had an interesting discussion last night with a guy who use to fly ultralights. (He called after seeing my plane flying around saturday and wants to get into RC) He told me that my carb was too lean (I was thinking it was too rich) what he said is that the increased pressure in the cowl was making the engine run rich, and when the airspeed decreased to the point where the cowl pressure was below a certain level, then the carb pumped less fuel at idle (do to decreased pressure differential) and the engine would slow down.

I believe my engine is rich because if I let it run long enough 2-3 minutes at idle, it will load up and when I advance the throttle, it smokes bad and finally picks up RPM. I have been running lawnboy 32:1 and on my very next flight will be running Belray MC-1 at 50:1. I will see if this continues, but I know it happens. I also know that the 3 engines I have seen doesn't constitute all, but it is interesting some do it and some don't!

ORIGINAL: RTK
Geistware---There must be something different in our set-up that would cause some people's to do it and others not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.