Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MVVS/Evo 26 with Tuned Pipe

here is the final all up weight
I checked the scales then weighed the change of prop and pipe -which is 6.6 ounces difference (11.3 vs 4.7) the scales show about 6 ozs - the digital gram scales were used for the prop/pipe combos - and the two combos reflct the weights shown..
The Detecto scales are spring but very good spring scales So - 10 pounds is fair -depends on prop/pipe combo
radio batt is one , 2700ma Expert.
The CF pipe is a prototype just received from Ed today so -- next--- we run it and fly it . Either pipe fits on same sadddle and changeover will take a minute .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62187.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	365425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27129.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	365426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80632.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	365427  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How much does the CF pipe cost and if you used it with the Evolution 26 would it still be plug-n-play?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

here is the final all up weight
I checked the scales then weighed the change of prop and pipe -which is 6.6 ounces difference (11.3 vs 4.7) the scales show about 6 ozs - the digital gram scales were used for the prop/pipe combos - and the two combos reflct the weights shown..
The Detecto scales are spring but very good spring scales So - 10 pounds is fair -depends on prop/pipe combo
radio batt is one , 2700ma Expert.
Looks like you did get a light Funtana (5 pounds bare)--one that would come in at the advertised 8.2 pound weight with 1.5oz servos and a 21.5oz motor. I think that 2700ma battery is 6.7oz if it is 5cell.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The new pipe is designed to be much like the stock aluminum one -- in response /power/size - The pipes Ed does are all extremely quiet as well as light.
They are of his own design and are developed for competition use.
Price in not available yet.
As I may have mentioned - This Funtana is being used as a test bed for these pipes as well as some other items .
I had a Funtana previously -which I really liked , using a Roto25 and a pipe. This is an on going part of the earlier tests.
As you have no doubt guessed - I think the small gasser has definately arrived. This is the fourth plane we have tried so far -
Funtana, Showtime, 260 and now another Funtana . It has been an exercise in narrowing down the best size/weight combos.
The 10 lb 1000 sq in setup seems to be just about a perfect match - for really good unlimited flogging and flying with 26 cc gas.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
ben beyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know STG was saying that most Funtana's come in around 6 lbs. bare and people are getting fewer RPM's than you, but there are so many factors that affect the engine's performance. I'm going to keep my Funtana/ Evolution 26 as light as possible. I have a HItec 5945MG that i'm going to use on the rudder just simply because I have it. The rest of the servo's will probably be Hitec 5475's (1.41 oz). I'm just going to go with the MVVS/Evolution brand tuned pipe set up. I'll get some CF gear to increase prop clearance though. And if the Funtana has a 1" tube, I have one of those in CF to. It all boils down to the fact that I would like a small gasser for when I don't feel like messing with my Edge. I know someone compared all up weights for a Saito 150 vs. the 26 and the 26 would be overall 3 oz. lighter. I think I can get it to swing some good RPM's to. What an engine turns on the ground is less than what it can turn in the air.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dick,

Just for reference, the OS 160 FX with the stock muffler or a Bisson BGX will spin the APC 18X8N at over 9000 and the Mejzlik 18X6 over 9500 rpm on 10% nitro.

I have been thinking about the MVVS 160 and pipe for the Futana 90.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
STG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ben beyer

I know STG was saying that most Funtana's come in around 6 lbs. bare and people are getting fewer RPM's than you, but there are so many factors that affect the engine's performance. I'm going to keep my Funtana/ Evolution 26 as light as possible. I have a HItec 5945MG that i'm going to use on the rudder just simply because I have it. The rest of the servo's will probably be Hitec 5475's (1.41 oz). I'm just going to go with the MVVS/Evolution brand tuned pipe set up. I'll get some CF gear to increase prop clearance though. And if the Funtana has a 1" tube, I have one of those in CF to. It all boils down to the fact that I would like a small gasser for when I don't feel like messing with my Edge. I know someone compared all up weights for a Saito 150 vs. the 26 and the 26 would be overall 3 oz. lighter. I think I can get it to swing some good RPM's to. What an engine turns on the ground is less than what it can turn in the air.
Consider the JR125's that Dick is using. Only 1.6oz and full power/mg

The SA150 is 33.5oz with muffler. The EVO1.6 is 52oz with pipe and light ignition battery.
Yes you may be able to save 8oz on the weight of the fuel at most, but that is it. So all up weight with pipe is at best (without a carbon pipe not yet available) 52-8(save for fuel at most) or 44oz up against 33.5oz

This puts all up of the 1.6 at least 10oz more than a SA150.

If you have followed the Fantana threads you will see that about 10% of the planes come in as advertised. At least 75% of them are coming in at 10 pounds with a 2 pound motor.

If you have followed the MVVS 1.6 threads you will see that the typical 1.6 on pipe only turns as advertised.

Dick got a light plane and a strong motor.

If I knew I could get the same #'s out a MVVS/EVO as Dick is I would be very temped to go with one in my 6.5 pound bare weight airframe.(1/2 pound more than F90 Bare weight)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:06 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to hear from anyone using the 26 and factory pipe .
Mine is all by the book - the fuel/ oil is exactly as advised - I have been careful to never run it lean -ever -
all tach readings are straight from the LED. I don't see why it should be any better than any others .
The model does not seem particularly light -it is only a pound lighter than myZDZ40 equipped Petrol which was 1280 squares and solid foam cores on the wings THAT was a power setup
I really can't see spending a dime on carbon fiber add ons -except the pipe - it is a sizable weight savings but the gear and wing tube - won't make much difference.
if the weather goes into a hot snap (above freezing )- Iwill fly it .
Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 AM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My MVVS 26 does 8300 on the MVVS tuned silencer. It has done this since day one...it's a couple of seasons old now and still my favorite engine!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 AM
ben beyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's working for Mr. Hanson and it's a risk i'm seriously considering taking. I don't want another glow airplane, I'm done with them.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 AM
STG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ben beyer
It's working for Mr. Hanson and it's a risk i'm seriously considering taking.
I have felt like this for a while, but have not herd another good report of the 1.6GAS/Pipe producing close to a 1.6glow/pitts.

If you follow the 1.6gas thread you will see what I mean.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1079866/tm.htm

My MVVS 26 does 8300 on the MVVS tuned silencer. It has done this since day one...it's a couple of seasons old now and still my favorite engine! David_Moen
David Moen, the Canada MVVS dealer, only claims 8300 with his & he admits in the thread that he got a motor with a larger carburetor & thinks it is giving him a bit of a boost.

I don't think that Dick Hanson has got bad RMP readings as he has done thrust tests that easily justify his RPM readings.

Could it be that the new 1.6 Evolution motor has that much more power than the Red Head 1.6MVVS? Are they using a differnt pipe/carb ect than MVVS?

Old 12-06-2005, 10:27 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carb 481D-- all these little carbs seem to share same throttle plate
Are the MVVS tuned pipes that hard to come by? Judging from the prices on Pe's page they are a terrific bargain - having purchased many different exhaust systems.
It's no secret I don't care for in cowl systems - they can kill up to 50% of power available -not just my opinion -- fact.
The ignition I got with my Evolution is fixed - I can't change the advance.
I think anyone can duplicate the results I get by using the box stock setup - not screwing around with various oil/gas mixes -just use the Mobil at 32 -1 0n pump gas and propping with anything from a Zinger Pro 18x6 to 18x8
The best performance overall on 3D hover/recover is still the Skorepa 18x6--so far - that doesn't mean other props are not as good -I just have not tried one which is . i will try the 18x8 Skorepa next.
Some people are afraid to rev their engines . Actually running easily in the 9000rpm range -is not hard on the engines - What is really hard on em is letting em heat up on a big prop -in a poor air flow enviroment on a heavy plane .
I got more heat -in the H9 260 than the Showtime -simply because the engine did not have to work as hard --it unloaded more quickly in the Showtime (rev). Better breakin in the air is NOT from more airflow --it is mainly from reduced load . An engine which seats in easily and thoroughly will always produce more power than one which has been fast fried.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The engine I had with the larger carb was on my airplane for exactly 2 weeks. Someone saw me fly the airplane at a fun-fly at our field and offered to buy it right then and there. At the end of the day I unbolted it from the airplane and handed it over. I went home, put another engine on, this one with the standard carb, and it has performed exactly the same as the first, flawlessly. There was a single production run of engines that had the same carb as th 35cc engines, this was done only because they didn't receive a shipment of carbs from Walbro. At the time I thought the larger carb gave a slight performance advantage, I don't beleive this now. Evolution and MVVS engines are identical with the exception of the ignition used. I have seen readings as high as 8500 with a Menz 18x8, but that was leaned right out. The Mezjlik seems to load the engine slightly more, and it stands up to the weeds that poke up above the grass on our field better than the wood prop does.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
STG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carb 481D-- all these little carbs seem to share same throttle plate
Are the MVVS tuned pipes that hard to come by? Judging from the prices on Pe's page they are a terrific bargain - having purchased many different exhaust systems.
It's no secret I don't care for in cowl systems - they can kill up to 50% of power available -not just my opinion -- fact.
The ignition I got with my Evolution is fixed - I can't change the advance.
I think anyone can duplicate the results I get by using the box stock setup - not screwing around with various oil/gas mixes -just use the Mobil at 32 -1 0n pump gas and propping with anything from a Zinger Pro 18x6 to 18x8
The best performance overall on 3D hover/recover is still the Skorepa 18x6--so far - that doesn't mean other props are not as good -I just have not tried one which is . i will try the 18x8 Skorepa next.
Some people are afraid to rev their engines . Actually running easily in the 9000rpm range -is not hard on the engines - What is really hard on em is letting em heat up on a big prop -in a poor air flow enviroment on a heavy plane .
I got more heat -in the H9 260 than the Showtime -simply because the engine did not have to work as hard --it unloaded more quickly in the Showtime (rev). Better breakin in the air is NOT from more airflow --it is mainly from reduced load . An engine which seats in easily and thoroughly will always produce more power than one which has been fast fried.
It remains apparent to me that your motor, though stock, it is significantly more powerful that the other 1.6gas/stock pipe set ups that have been reported on RCU. I have to think that getting one that performed like yours would be a real long shot.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK- but I don't see why that should be -
Which other stock on the stock pipe on 18x6/18x8 setups are you comparing? I didn't think it was that much different .
Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A flying buddy of mine has the exact same setup on a H9 Ultra Stick Lite (wonderful combo by the way) he insists on running an APC 18x8N. The MVVS 26 turns it at 8500 on the ground, comfortably rich, and this prop uloads like crazy in the air. I'm sure its turning at least 1000 rpm faster at speed.

I don't think Dick's results are unusual at all.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
STG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK- but I don't see why that should be -
Which other stock on the stock pipe on 18x6/18x8 setups are you comparing? I didn't think it was that much different .
http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=452

The MVVS 1.60 IFS-W does not come with a muffler, we offer several options, but we recommend the MVVS 3266 Tuned Silencer. This quiet tuned pipe extracts the best performance from the 1.60. How powerful is it? Our customers report at least 7,500 rpm using an APC 18x8 prop and this pipe.

--------------

According to http://www.mvvs.nl/ and

Typical rpm figures: 3266 is MVVS tuned pipe.

Prop-dimension-rpm-muffler
APC 16/12 7300-7400 3266
APC 16/10 8100-8300 3266
APC 18x8N 8100-8200 3266 with tuned pipe
Mejzlik 18/8 8100-8200 3266 with tuned pipe
Mejzlik 18/8 7200-7300 3270 MVVS large volume in cowel
Mejzlik 18/8 6700-6800 3298 compact silencer

---------------------

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1079866/tm.htm

preivers - MVVS DEALER

3 hp @ 8200 rpm with APC 18x8N (personal measurement)
The 8200 was with the tuned pipe after rpm have settled.

some serious test, done together with other IMHO trustworthy fliers all over the world obtained comparable results as I did, so continent influence can be neglected.

-------------------

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...18/key_/tm.htm

David_Moen –MVVS DEALER

I finally got a chance to fire up my 1.60! I am running this engine with the tuned pipe on an Ultra Stick Lite. My flying partner has the exact same setup, his engine has about 1.5 hours on it. My engine fired up on the 5th flip after getting it primed, very impressive. Running Amsoil sythetic at 32:1, I let it run just below hatlf throttle for about 5 minutes then started giving it short bursts of more throttle. This engine runs very nice, it's going to be a good powerplant for the Stick.

While we were making noise, we thought we'd tach a few different props. We also hooked a fish scale to the tail of the airplane to give us some relative measurements of thrust. No this is not going to be accurate in absolute terms, but as all the tests were run back to back under identical conditions, the thrust measurements are a reasonable indicator of how the props performed in relation to each other.

18x8 Dynathrust - 7950 rpm, 14.5 lbs pull
18x8N APC - 8350 rpm 14.75 lbs pull
18x8S Menz 8350 rpm 16.5 lbs pull
18x6 Master Aiscrew - 9100 rpm 14.5 lbs pull

There are others in this 45 page thread and other places.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

All this data suggests that the typical MVVS on pipe weighs .75pounds more than the 1.6FX on pitts and is comparatively less on power.

No other readings I can find match the power that you are getting with yours @ 4,5XX feet. Would you like to sell yours?

Old 12-06-2005, 01:07 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

8500 on the ground- --on that plane - check the in flight level full unloaded rpm - I bet it is about 9500.
I use this feature --a lot---- to see what the hell is REALLY going on.
The max thrust I get is on the prop turning the fastest on the ground . Also best hover n jump up n down
My ZDZ's are same - best 3D=best rpm on the ground.
I originally turned my ZDZ's in the 6000 range -till I started trying for best 3D
in EVERY case - the piped engines on a prop which wound up -delivered best performance not just a little bit - a lot.
My new 80j (black) on 26x10 Skorepa will hover and easily move up down in a one foot controlled elevation change with just tiny throttle inputs . Using larger props the precise altitude changes are not as easy to do .
Same on the Showtime/ 260 -with the 26-- a fast revving setup is more precise in picking hover /recover.
They all recovered vertically easily.
If you play with 3D -you will see what I mean about precise altitude changes . The power setup has to be right
Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please keep in mind that the numbers I quoted were on the very first runs. I usualy do not reccomend running them this hard right out of the box. All figures have improved with use.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

new pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22463.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	365902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89414.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	365903  
Old 12-06-2005, 01:35 PM
STG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

new pictures
Nice. Thanks for posting. A picture is worth 1000 words. Very helpful.

Dick, how do you see the carbon pipes doing as far as durability in a set up such as you have on the Funtana compared to an aluminum pipe?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:43 PM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's pretty sweet! I may have to get a new "demonstration" airpcraft!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 PM
ben beyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave, I saw your thrust results above and I was wondering if you think you could get more thrust with a MenzS 18x6. I see that you did the test with a MA 18x6, but i've found that the MenzS produces more thrust.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 AM
barchiola
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all, Sorry to dig up the old thread but I'm looking for a good used pipe for an Evolution 26cc gas engine. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:12 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

barchiola, go to RC Groups and post a "wanted post" on the engine classified page there

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service