Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ansoil mix for DA 100

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:08 PM
T Howard
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ansoil mix for DA 100

Finally picked up A DA 100 on A 36% edge 540 and need to know the mixture.My first giant airplane. What mix for ansoil for DA 100.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 PM
3DFix
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: ansoil mix for DA 100

DA recommends 100:1. The mixture for the 100:1 is on the Amsoil bottle. I think it is 1.3 oz. of oil to 1 gallon of gas. Use the middle grade (89 octane gas).
Old 12-10-2005, 05:13 PM
3dbob37n

I'd like some comments on the oil/fuel ratio.
Lately, I've been hearing more and more folks are going to 30 or 40 to 1 oil mixes, even with the 100 to 1 oils.
Apparently, this is a little added insurance in the event of a lean run.
What do we hear from some of the fellas that fly constantly and really work these engines like the 3W and DA's? DA told me that lots of folks are using Lawn Boy (petroleum, not synethetic) oil in their engines at a 32-1 mix and he saw no problem with it.
Personally, I'd rather be on the safe side and especially since some of those exotic oils are very expensive.

So what is the concensus?

3dbob
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 PM
rcbill

There are a lot of comments about the fuel ratio on the engine thread farther back dated 12/04/05 under "running in new engines". It seams to me that the majority of the guys figured that the gas engines for airplanes was not "light duty" which is the 100 to 1 ratio for Amziol so "not all" but "some" of the guys figured that about 80:1 ratio was the best bet. That was after the break in period which "most" of the guys thought the regular oils should be used untill breakin is complete. It is a very hot topic and a lot a varied ideas. The trouble is that a lot of the ideas sound logical and you have to sort it out yourself. As for me I have a DA 50 and I will break the engine in on the plane in the air. I fired it up in a stand just to make sure it was reliable. I will run Penzoil for air cooled engines until the breakin is complete and then probably switch to Amziol or something similar. I have a G62 and a FPE 3.2 which I have been running the Penzoil on with no problems but after reading many comments about oil I will be switching to the synthetics in the spring. Lots of Luck Bill
Old 12-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

A lot depends on the size propeller used if the engiene is light duity or not. Oversized propellers will require more lubrication as well as cooling. Normal or undersized propellers will be light duty and a lean run will be minimized.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 PM
tkilwein

Hi,

I bought a new DA100 and called them up and discussed the amsoil 100:1.
They said run no less than 80:1 they prefer 100:1.

With more oil you will tend to build up residue inside the heads.

This was straight from DA themselves.

On a breakin they recomended 32-40:1 lawnboy, penzoil or comparible oil, for the first 3 to 5 gallons.
When broken in they said the black residue from the exhaust would turn to a ~clear brown color.

Hope this helps,

Tony
Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Amsoil schmamsoil!!

Run left-over bacon grease at 20:1 and your engines will outlast your grandkids.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 PM
rcbill

I'll have to agree with RCPilet. With any kind of decent care these engines should run for years. I bought an old plane with a G62 and I don't know how many flights it has on it but it has been run for several years and I have been flying it for 2 more years and it still runs strong with no signs of giving up. I know I have never run Amzoil through it. I am seriously considering getting my lubrication from the hamburger stand down the street. I know the way that the grease coats my stomach that it just has to protect an engine from wear. The parts couldn't possibly touch one another or rust.
Seriously though good ventilation is just as good as good lubrication. I would rather be in error on the rich side rather than the lean side of both. Just my 2 cents worth. Bill