Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Randy-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Saying a comment about walking at water does not make a person sponsered by anyone

Just the facts

And if your gonna make comments like your doing atleast you can sign your real name

Randy

Originally posted by fryfly
well sounds like all you guys are getting a darn good back scratching from somewhere, I don't know where but as far as I know 3-W was around before D.A.,I've never had problems of a major concern,not like broken cranks and such,that's alright you guys can fly what you wan't I don't have to live with it you do!!!! and Randy it sounds like at one time or another you might have been sponsored, I don't know but it sounds like it,if I'm wrong I appologies.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:10 PM
Randy-RCU

Default Re: 3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Originally posted by KLOTZ
It is funny just how far the responces to some questions go.
No kidding Walt
Old 11-20-2002, 10:17 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

uh. . "Backscratching" from engine suppliers?????

I think not. . but I do support the products I find to be worthy of my time and money, and those that disappoint me get the axe . . and a few well-deserved acerbic comments whenever possible.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:08 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

that''s cool I agree whole heartedly,I spend my money where I think it is best used too!!! yah 3-W had problems in the past with probably the same things as D.A. but as far as my info is concerned those problems are long gone all the problems at this years TOC pretty much brought out the best of all 3-W and D.A.so sounds like you like D.A. I LOVE 3-W, now everyone is happy!
Old 11-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Kris^
Banned

I guess I just have a much higher expectation of what an engine should do, and how long it will last before having problems, than you do. I plunk down that kind of money, I expect PERFECTION...I never got it with 3W..and a lot of promises were made that never happened.

Zero tolerance!!! if it's messed up. FIX IT. . and don't lie to me in the process.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:03 AM
fryfly

well I'm sorry for your luck ,and everyone should learn from their own experiences too bad yours with 3-W was bad.I personally have had nothing but good luck and good service they have actually bent over backwards with everything I have ever needed I do know everyone has their favorites when it comes to motors but we are still all here for one reason !!!!!!!!! we love to fly model airplanes, wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-21-2002, 12:25 AM
Diablo-RCU

Say Kris:
It seems that you have had more than your share of bad luck or quality with your 3W motors. Around here, things haven't been so bad for 3W, or universally wonderful for BME and DA. My 3W-100 still runs fine (about 600 flights) using the stock manifold and 3W ignition (with DA caps). The ignition cap failure seems to be the most common problem with the older 3Ws. I also had a DA ignition failure as have others around here. I have also seen several CH ignitions fail (BME and Brison).

Perhaps your problems of warped manifolds is a result of overheating during hovering. I don't do much hovering. Maybe the DA motors run cooler? We checked the temp on a new DA-100 running without baffles in a Sukhoi and the thing was cold as ice (around 130F) on a 50 degree day.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:42 AM
fryfly

hovering is the worst thing you can do to heat an engine I'll agree with that,thanks Diablo glad to see I'm not the only one having good luck with 3-W. The temp on the D.A. sounds good
Old 11-21-2002, 02:05 AM
Kris^
Banned

you know guys, I'd agree. . except that I seldom used to hover, and flying my TOC100 in a 260 in IMAC competition the block warped inside 25 flights. . never has seen 3D flying. teh first time my 150b2ss gave symptoms of a bad carb block was after about 35-40 flights in a 43% Extra. . again strictly pattern style flying withthe occasional bout of 3D thrown in but very good ducting and cooling, never exhibitting overheating symptoms, yet the engien mysteriously flamed out one day in the middle of a flat spin, then became hard to start, and eventually flamed-out way upwind of the field at 50 feet, resulting in total aircraft loss in a bean field. 6 months later the same motor, pulled off the shelf after a thorough checkout, cost me two days at Joe Nall trying to get it to run, then fried a cylinder on the 2nd flight when the carb block finally FINISHED cracking bad enough to make the motor go super-lean. It had probably bee cracked all along, I just never saw it. Both TOC140's I got, from reputable people and less than 10 minutes of run time per motor, had warped blocks. My Twin spark 150 warped inside 50 flights in my DR109.

Guess what. . after swapping on a DA carb block and ignition, my 150b2ss runs like a fine Swiss watch and has great power and tractability again!!. . . Dittos for my Twin Spark and remaining 140 and the 100. I don't believe in coincidences.

BTW. . with every engine it was intimated that it was MY fault something went wrong. . improper needle settings, wrong battery pack, not taking the plug caps off properly, etc etc etc. I got tired of the blame game. . and certainly of the failures. . the failures are gone, thanks to MY efforts. . I won't play the blame game anymore, and the outright subterfuge about power numbers and dependability have totally turned me off. .

Sorry. . fool me once, shame on you. . after that only my own stupidity is at fault.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:20 AM
fryfly

again I never have had a problem so I can't back you on that one I have had excellent motors especially in my warbird had one problem but it WAS my fault I'll take the blame for that one.I'm so sold on 3-W I'll never change motors. With everyone around me flying everything else,brison,zenoah,ZDZ,RCS,BME,I'm sold!!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:18 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Carb Blocks

Although I haven't had the problems mentioned with the 3W engines I currently own, I am interested in the DA carb blocks that might fit the 100 TOC and STD 140 I have? Are the blocks interchangable with Wallbro or Tilotson, or doesn't it matter? What makes them different, or work better? Any pictures or part numbers? Thanks_bob
Old 11-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Charles Thomas
My Feedback: (43)

Default Carb Blocks?

That goes for me too....... I have a TOC100 and a new style 100, would also like to know about the DA carb blocks.

Charles
Old 11-21-2002, 07:52 PM
fryfly

not really sure on the carb interchanging with each other, best thing to do is call Cactus Aviation or Aircraft international,pretty sure they will but better call to make sure,I know the tillotson has a hole in one spot between carb and block not sure if the walbro has hole in same spot.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Randy-RCU

The best manuf engine in the whole wide world was shipped to me today

DA
DA
DA
DA -100
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36876_1823.gif
Views:	36
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	22665  
Old 11-21-2002, 11:35 PM
fryfly

YAH Buddy !!! Them engines are so good they deserve another spotlight photo! this is also from this years TOC. in case you don't notice this is a differen't aircraft than the other.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36881_7904.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	22666  
Old 11-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Kris^
Banned

I am REALLY holding back from using a lot of insulting terms aimed at your lineage, lack of brain activity, sexual activities and possible physical idiosyncracies. . . . .

THAT plane is Peter Goldsmiths Cap, that had a blade on the Mejzlik prop DELAMINATE. . it ran for about 20 seconds, shaking the plane to pieces as the prop disintegrated the bad blade, leading to only one blade left on the prop. . THEN the crankshaft failed ! ! this OBVIOUS overstressing of the engine and airframe is NO indication of any bad engineering, weak cranks, or other problems designed in by Desert Aircraft. IMO, it speaks volumes of what these motors can go through before they will fail.

NOW. . get a LIFE!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:39 AM
fryfly

Yah whatever! A picture says a thousand words!!!!!!!!!!!!! you know that if you put up a pic of a 3-W like that It wouldn't bother me a bit because I know things happen but you take things a little tooooooo! personal,and anyone that reads this thread can tell your feelings have been really hurt so I will leave ya alone for a while,I wouldn't want you to lose any sleep!
Old 11-22-2002, 01:20 AM
Randy-RCU

Originally posted by fryfly
YAH Buddy !!! Them engines are so good they deserve another spotlight photo! this is also from this years TOC. in case you don't notice this is a differen't aircraft than the other.
Your a true winner

That airplane of Peters had a prop failure, it has 1400 flights on the mezlick prop when the prob let go

And a matter of fact, my good friend was there when it happen.. oh yea if you click on your photo you will see my freind Bert lets in the picture putting peters wings back in the wing bags. Since he is Peters pit man

Randy
Old 11-22-2002, 01:28 AM
fryfly

cool!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:07 AM
Diablo-RCU

1400 flights on the prop is cool. How many flights on the same motor?

I'm like to know how the DA, 3W, and BME motors are holding up long term. Do they make it to 1,000 flights, 2,000 flights etc. before expensive problems set in? How are the crank pins holding up for wear?

If anyone has some good experiences (or bad) on some long term mule motors, please post 'em.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:39 PM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

dont want to start any controversey here HA!
but I have 3 -3w100s and aside from the typical ign. woes -which were fixed for free they have been damn good running engines
my oldest -5years is thesmoothest running twin at our field
just cranks out power consistantly . this year alone I have run about 25 gallons of 80to 1 amsoil threw it .
onething that I would like to this fourm is that desert aitcraft used to sell 3w
they stopped because 3w went to rear induction and decided to market their ownengine
now being in their position they can improve their product from expearance learned from working on the compititions
more power to them
and guess who benifits from this ?
us the buying public -we enjoy the benifits of a better made product from both companys
so theres my 2cents worth
Old 11-22-2002, 02:57 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

desert aircraft used to sell 3w but they stopped because 3w went to rear induction
Better check their site. If I'm not mistaken, they are advertising 3W as we speak_bob
Old 11-22-2002, 03:19 PM
ballistic1

not new -used
Old 11-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Randy-RCU

Actully the statement you made is far from why Dave got into his own line of engine, I no why but its not realy anyones buisness to no the reason except for Dave so I am not about to say why, but I can tell you I was with him when he got HOT HOT HOT over the reason

Randy

Originally posted by ballistic1
onething that I would like to this fourm is that desert aitcraft used to sell 3w
they stopped because 3w went to rear induction and decided to market their ownengine
now being in their position they can improve their product from expearance learned from working on the compititions
more power to them
and guess who benifits from this ?
us the buying public -we enjoy the benifits of a better made product from both companys
so theres my 2cents worth
Old 11-22-2002, 04:01 PM
ballistic1

so whatever the reason , the point still stands
they improved their product
and we benifit
everyone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.