Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-75 Where are you???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA-75 Where are you???

I have a friend testing one also. He was asked to put ten gallons through it as fast as he could and the amount he flies I thinks he's almost there. He'll send it back when he's done and they'll tear it down and see how it's held up to real world use. The way it's been performing seems hopeful that they should be ready for the public soon. Obviously there are many being tested as we write. I'm glad they do thier homework isntead of testing stuff on the consumer the way some companies seem to. Untill they are done people will just have to be patient. It's not like they made any promises or tried to market it and build up hype in advance.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

If the price is less than $700, then DA will kill the other manufacturers who are forced to sell at a higher price because of the strong euro.
Let's see...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:53 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

BasinBum, you have to blame me for the DA-75 discussion Your right, DA has not advertised or published anything about this engine. In fact they've done a good job of keeping it away from the general public, BUT , I was told they are real close to having it done
I want one real bad ......
Old 12-30-2005, 05:48 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Just sharing with you what I was told. I thought the same thing, but then again, it's been a long time in coming... Seems a company could have pumped out a "half 150" in a lot less time than this has taken.

My info comes from a top pilot who has helped test the 75 and is flying one now. He says it's obvious by sight that the engine isn't half a 150.

You also must realize that DA doesn't just sell to us toy-boys but also to the government for various projects. There may have been reasons why the 75 needed optimized.

Innovations? Well, I suupose there can be. Otherwise cars would still be Model T's and we'd all be flying Cox engines.

Porting, counterbalancing, weight reduction all come to mind.

Why make a 75 when everyone else makes 80's? Hmmm.. using that consideration, why not make an 85cc instead, then they make a 90... then a 100...

If DA can deliver a 75 that is close to the power as the 80's (their 50 certainly outspins MOST of the other 50's out there... at least the ones I've seen. And if they can bring it in say 1 lb lighter than the 80's... then wingloading will benefit as well. And I think it's very possible they could bring us a 3.5 lb 75.. compare that to a 5 lb 3W, a 4.25 ZDZ 80, 4.6 lb Super 80 or a 4.9 lb EVO 80.

I really don't know what the DA75 will weigh... but I suspect it will be somewhat lighter than the competition.

But in the long run... I don't know... I buy 'em I don't make 'em.

Aerobear... I would conjecture an updated 150 is more likely than keeping a 75 the same tech as the current 150... but I really don't know.

I do know I was told by the test pilot that the 75 was very powerful and smooth.

I guess we will all find out soon enough.

ORIGINAL: davewallace

Hi Maudib,
If the DA75 uses all new parts, why would DA make a 75cc, when all of the competion is bigger? This seems to me to be a handicap from the start. The only logical reason for using a 75cc displacment would be to use existing DA150 cylinders and maximize profits through quanity production. Is there such a thing as totally new innovations in a single cylinder two stroke engine?

Dave
The DA75 prototype is 3.9 pounds. (phone call to DA 3 weeks ago) Projected release date between March and June, not sure what that weight includes ie.... ignition, standoffs ect...

john
Old 12-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Flip and Fly

Do I hear 3.8, going once, going twice, sold.....................
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
zzw26n

Does anyone know when Desert Aircraft has another show or swap meet they attend and display their Engines ?? I was hoping to find out where the introduction of the DA-75 might be, Ohio Show in April would be nice
Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

It's a good likelyhood that they will have them there... hopefully for sale too!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
zzw26n

Maudib, do you have a connection with DA ??

regards, zz
Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
zzw26n

Anyone going to the Ontario, California trade show ?? DA appears to be getting ready and was wondering if someone could post their findings at the show .... DA-75 announcement

thanks .......... zz
Old 01-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Maudib

Nope... sure wish I did though.

My info comes from someone testing the 75... you can be sure there are a few out there gettin' some miles put on 'em. Field testing has been going on for some time now.

I've not laid my eyes on them... but I feel confident that the DA-75 will be a rock solid top-performing engine.

I'm just satisfied with my couple 50's performance, reliability, and DA's excellent service.

I had an older version without the updated connecting rod & carb mod. These were made available to answer issues some people were experiencing.

Though the engine performed well, my season had ended and I figured it was a good time to send it in.

I sent the engine in on a Thursday via USPS Priority Mail, and it came back the following Thursday UPS 2nd day (or maybe it was FedEx 2 Day).

Not only did they make the updates, but also saw the need for a front and middle bearing and a crankshaft. Don't know why, but I do know they didn't charge me a dime.

When an engine runs great, starts as easy as 3&3 cold and you get superb service and support, why wouldn't you be a happy and recommending customer?

ORIGINAL: zzw26n

Maudib, do you have a connection with DA ??

regards, zz
Old 01-12-2006, 09:07 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Today I was with Dave Johnson, Brian Hueffmijer and Bryon Gilmore. They just got to the AMA show here in Ontario CA. We had a great time as usual and lots of laughs and engine talk. Dave Johnson has the leading edge in the model engine industry with managing customer expectations in my honest opinion, bar none. I don't believe we will see the DA75 any sooner than the very moment that is it 100% ready. I'll be in line to buy one myself when they are available.
I agree with you J. David, the Desert Aircraft experience is much more than buying an engine, it is an example of american ingenuity and inventiveness, surpassed only by the personal touch of the personalities you meet on the phone. They keep me in the air, flying my airplane and learning and perfecting new things. That is what I fly model airplane engines for. They do it for me better than any company I have ever tried or heard of. They are very honest with me and I am with them. To me DA is the gold standard in gasoline model engines, period.

Future offering from desert aircraft will be of very fine quality, and I'll put my money on that!

Joe Kelley
Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
BasinBum

I was with Joe at the show today and specifically asked about the 75 with this thread in mind. I asked if I could be the first of many to ask about the 75 and Dave said I was too late someone else already asked. He said they were going to bring one just to satisfy the people who were interested but decided not to since they are still refining it. They also joked that they were gonna make a flyer that they could hand out so as not to have to answer the same questions about it over and over.

It sounded like it was still several months away and untill Dave is happy with it we won't see it for sale. The good news is they are working on it.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Well seeing how mundane the DA-50 runs in comparasion to other single engines in its class, I'll wait and see if they fix "burble burble" throtle syndrom in their singles.

I saw a DA-100 and DA-150 run and they were top notch; but the single 50 failed to impress and I have head way to many times people sending the engine back in... Ya Ya... the service is great, but thats still no reason to have so many failures..

I guess because DA sponors a lot of people and has advertisments every where people think its awesome... Will the DA-50 it self was meh and best, good power and all but I dont' like the way it accelerates; maybe some people like this in warbirds and stuff I guess..

As for the 75, if it operates like the DA-100 does, then we may have soemthing, but you can forget about having a cheap price, this engine is going to be in the 800.00 mark for sure[&o] However, if it is lightweight and has good throttle response then we may just have a winner for 30% planes like the BME Aircraft (even though its hard to beat their all their engines power for weight)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

The early problems with the 50's is the very reason that they will make sure the 75 is right before the public see's it.DA sure as heck did not want to have to deal with the 50 problems but they did and fixed them all,no questions asked.Look at other forum's and see what company's like Brison are going thru,and I don't have enough time to go thru what crap customer service I had recieved from 3W west coast rep.(Mr. Wilson).My modified DA 50 runs like a swiss watch,great power,good midrange and awsome throttle response.I am a DA customer for life because of there customer service plus there product.The way they back there stuff is not seen much anymore in this make a buck,screw them world.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Did I miss something? Did DA announce the 75?

Yes, they did.

About a year and half or so ago (plus or minus a year or two), there was a link in a thread on RCU to an interview someone had done with DA. In it, there was reference to a 75. Wish I could remember what thread that was in.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Maudib

Mentioning what's in R&D and announcing something is different.

They may have found that it wasn't a viable project or that as time went on demand for it was not.

Fortunately it looks like it'll be announced soon.

(This is in contrast to something like the BME55 which was announced and a :list" began... only to find out 2 years later it wasn't even coming.)

In a recent post, BME states the 55 will be coming in April... is that an announcement? well sort of...

ORIGINAL: P-51B

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Did I miss something? Did DA announce the 75?

Yes, they did.

About a year and half or so ago (plus or minus a year or two), there was a link in a thread on RCU to an interview someone had done with DA. In it, there was reference to a 75. Wish I could remember what thread that was in.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Maudib
In a recent post, BME states the 55 will be coming in April... is that an announcement? well sort of...
And the Easter Bunny is coming in march and Santa is coming in December....I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 PM
zzw26n

Joe,

Thanks a million, that's exactly what I was looking for. It appears they are real close to making it production ready, but I'm sure they have a benchmark they're working too and time is the only way to get there. My hope is the Toledo show in April will be the unveiling of the DA-75, and I would be willing to give them a deposit for serial #0010

thanks again, zz

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

Today I was with Dave Johnson, Brian Hueffmijer and Bryon Gilmore. They just got to the AMA show here in Ontario CA. We had a great time as usual and lots of laughs and engine talk. Dave Johnson has the leading edge in the model engine industry with managing customer expectations in my honest opinion, bar none. I don't believe we will see the DA75 any sooner than the very moment that is it 100% ready. I'll be in line to buy one myself when they are available.
I agree with you J. David, the Desert Aircraft experience is much more than buying an engine, it is an example of american ingenuity and inventiveness, surpassed only by the personal touch of the personalities you meet on the phone. They keep me in the air, flying my airplane and learning and perfecting new things. That is what I fly model airplane engines for. They do it for me better than any company I have ever tried or heard of. They are very honest with me and I am with them. To me DA is the gold standard in gasoline model engines, period.

Future offering from desert aircraft will be of very fine quality, and I'll put my money on that!

Joe Kelley
Old 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM
zzw26n

Anybody have any updates?? Seen it run?? I was told the April show in Toledo was possibly the time of introduction, anybody else??

thanks, zz
Old 02-06-2006, 07:34 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Anybody have any updates?? Seen it run?? I was told the April show in Toledo was possibly the time of introduction, anybody else??

thanks, zz

I heard today they scraped the 75
Old 02-06-2006, 09:04 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: DENNIS C

thanks, zz

I heard today they scraped the 75
where did you hear that?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:42 PM
zzw26n

John, DENNIS C has no clue on what's going on with the DA-75, he's just trying to pull my chain.

zz
Old 02-07-2006, 01:03 PM
jrjohn

John, DENNIS C has no clue on what's going on with the DA-75, he's just trying to pull my chain.

zz
I figured as much

John
Old 02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Maudib

Just had a nice long conversation with Dave Johnson at DA.

He didn't tell me anything he didn't want repeated so don't PM me for anything other than I can share here.

Of course the 75 is coming and fairly soon. I discussed with him the various comments people have made regarding Like:

"Why come out with a 75 when there are already powerful 80's"
"When will they be available"
"Is there a list?"

And here's what he said (and I am paraphrasing)

"In the past, when DA released a product, it set new standards of lightweight and power output. Keep in mind that we know what the competition has brought to market, we've had them to test and know what they are capable of. It has become an exepctation that when we release the 75, it will set new standards in it's class. The 75 will do that."

"The reason we don't create waiting lists or announce products before we are ready to deliver is that it only serves to create more problems of anticipation and phone calls... people put off projects because they want the new thing, and we don't want to participate in holding your money hostage. When we announce the 75 as a formal prodcut in our line, you willbe able to pick up the phone and order one... and assuming your order fall within the first allocation will have one within a few days."

Basically what he meant was the only thing worse than NOT knowing when the engines are coming, is to KNOW you have one on order and NOT know when they are coming.

It was easy to tell that Dave was very confident in the weight/performance of the new 75 and was going to ave no problems setting it side by side with other 75-80 class engines.

It's all good.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Maudib

I also got another figure that blew me away.

We discussed the issues the 50 had and that a lot of online dudes were bashing it. He said basically that the issue was not all the connecting rod, but the pins connecting them. Seems the manufacturer of those pins (top pin manufacturer for Kawasaki and other leading engine manufacturers) has a "bad day" and did not harden the pins correctly. I toook this to mean that they were soft and over time COULD cause enough play to let the conncting rod bend.

Anyhow... he stated that one of the reason people heard so much about it was the sheer numbers of DA50's out there. Something I expected.

How many DA50's are there out in the RC land? Nearly 6,000!

I think a fella could ask the other manufacturers of RC specific engines how many 50cc engines they have out there and not get a figure anywhere close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.