Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New .90 gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New .90 gas engine

Why not OS, add another $100 to an already outrageously priced engine for the same performance
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
evertsenb
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting experience with this one. I purchased the G90 intending to install it in a Graupner Extra 300. Short story was I got a tremendous amount of RFI and was not able to use it on a short fuselage plane. So I decided to install it in a 60 size stick. No RFI, plenty of power, BUT.... I was completely unable to tune the carb to idle or run at top end. During the carb struggle I noticed that with enough prop wash past the carb and over the CHOKE that it was actually sucking gas out of the back side of the carb. It was blowing it all over the lower half of the right wing, and to my surprise it ran even worse in the air. I decided to remove the CHOKE and test it. I was able to use something, even my thumb, to choke the carb and get an initial pop from the engine. When I was finally able to get her running, the settings needed to leaned out considerably at both high end and low but it corrected all of the problems. I was surprised that this has not been noticed by anyone else, but the choke may need to be removed and the holes closed up in order for the engine to run as advertized. I was finally able to run her with a 13x8 MasterAirScrew prop at just over 10,600 RPM. Not unlimited verticle but certainly a strong showing.

I do wish that BME would have gotten back to me and helped. I was getting seriously pissed for a while.
That's my story, hope it will help someone, I believe it is a strong engine for a 60 size plane.

Good Luck Folks.....
Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your input. I am looking into buying one of these and you read so much negative stuff from guys who don't even own one that it is nice to hear from someone with actual experience. It is also nice to get some feedback on prop size and performance with those props. Makes my decision a little easier.[8D]
Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: BME

Guys, this engine was built by us to run as a gasoline engine at 50:1 mix. It produces more power than when run as the stock version on glow. The rod has a needle bearing and the crankshaft utilizes a hardened pin for use with a needle bearing. This is not the worthless conversions you may have seen in the past and has been tested for countless hours without failure. The reasons for an engine like this are endless. They are for sale at 369.00 with supertigre muffler and electronic ignition

1. Economical to operate will run up 30 minutes on ten ounces of fuel at 50:1 mix
2. No oily mess to clean up
3. All components are custom built for gasoline operation
4. Pump style carburetor so place the fuel tank where you like
5. Superior idle and throttle transistion with no deadsticks
6. Electronic ignition so hand starting is easy with no need for glow plugs and glow drivers or field
support equipment
7. No weight penalty the engine weighs 26 ounces and the ignition and battery weight is offset by the
reduced fuel capacity.
8. No rusty bearings due to the hydroscopic glow fuel
9. More power than the glow version all in .60 size case and weight.
10. Some countries cant get glow fuel or nitro and are begging for a small gas engine.
11. Fuel savings will pay for extra cost of the engine.
I am seriously looking at this engine for a new build. I was looking at the YS110, but this may have a better power/wt ratio. Does the mount orientation matter in this engine and what are your thoughts about comparing this to the YS110?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: winglift

ORIGINAL: BME

Guys, this engine was built by us to run as a gasoline engine at 50:1 mix. It produces more power than when run as the stock version on glow. The rod has a needle bearing and the crankshaft utilizes a hardened pin for use with a needle bearing. This is not the worthless conversions you may have seen in the past and has been tested for countless hours without failure. The reasons for an engine like this are endless. They are for sale at 369.00 with supertigre muffler and electronic ignition

1. Economical to operate will run up 30 minutes on ten ounces of fuel at 50:1 mix
2. No oily mess to clean up
3. All components are custom built for gasoline operation
4. Pump style carburetor so place the fuel tank where you like
5. Superior idle and throttle transistion with no deadsticks
6. Electronic ignition so hand starting is easy with no need for glow plugs and glow drivers or field
support equipment
7. No weight penalty the engine weighs 26 ounces and the ignition and battery weight is offset by the
reduced fuel capacity.
8. No rusty bearings due to the hydroscopic glow fuel
9. More power than the glow version all in .60 size case and weight.
10. Some countries cant get glow fuel or nitro and are begging for a small gas engine.
11. Fuel savings will pay for extra cost of the engine.
I am seriously looking at this engine for a new build. I was looking at the YS110, but this may have a better power/wt ratio. Does the mount orientation matter in this engine and what are your thoughts about comparing this to the YS110?

I'm no expert on the 110, but I bet it has more power than the .90 when both are on glow.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 AM
greedy

Sorry to tell you but I dont think these engines are available any longer. I emailed Keith a while ago and have had no reply. If you search the BME discussions you will find that no-one has heard form him for a while
Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 PM
winglift

ORIGINAL: greedy

Sorry to tell you but I dont think these engines are available any longer. I emailed Keith a while ago and have had no reply. If you search the BME discussions you will find that no-one has heard form him for a while
I would be disappointed if it is no longer available. Thanks for the info. Do you know that they are not available or is it because there have been no responses from Keith?

Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:44 AM
greedy

I don't know, I'm living in hope that they will be back as I want a g90 too. As your in The US you could try calling him direct, his contact details are as follows.
BME Engines
325 Whitetail Creek
China Spring, TX 76633
Phone: 254-836-0835
Fax: 254-836-0837
email: [email protected]
Please let me know if you get him
Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 PM
evertsenb
My Feedback: (23)

Hi guys, One other possibility is the 1.40 gas from RCShowcase.
www.rcshowcase.com does have smaller engines that could possibly work.
Give that a look also,
Bruce Evertsen in NJ
Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Hans Meij

as I want a g90 too.
Webra has a 15cc gasser too.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 PM
greedy

I just looked at the Webra site , more to think about. heres the info and site. http://www.webra-austria.at/neu2007/...07.php?lang=EN
We are proud to present the 91-P5i (ignition) Aero engine, which is a petrol-driven two-stroke power plant of the 15 cc capacity class, primarily intended for model aircraft with a wingspan of 1400 to 1800 mm. The engine is designed to run on petrol instead of conventional (methanol-based) model fuel. The steel connecting rod features needle roller bearings, while the piston / liner is the proven Webra AAR*) system consisting of aluminium cylinder liner with an extremely hard surface coating, light alloy piston and rectangular-section piston ring. The motor is similar to a conventional glowplug unit to handle, and is therefore very simple in operation. The ignition spark is provided by the Webra "Spark II" Thyristor ignition system, which draws energy from a 3.6 - 8 Volt battery, preferably conventional LiPo cells. The ignition system is integral with the engine, but can be removed and mounted remotely if that is more convenient. We recommend the use of an oil / petrol mixture at a ratio of 1 : 25. This engine enables the cost-conscious pilot to reduce his operating costs substantially simply by using petrol as fuel, without any significant power loss. Since petrol liberates more energy than methanol, fuel consumption is also lower (by up to 50%) - i.e. you can reduce the size of the fueltank by around half. A further consideration is environmental compatibility: many methanol fuels have a very high nitromethane content, and petrol is much kinder to the environment
Old 01-28-2008, 01:52 AM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.lambertsrc.com
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
winglift

Are these engines available now? I am talking about the ST90 conversion.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the "like New" .90 can be had. Just snap up a good used .90 Tiger...and with the help of Ken Lambert....you too can have one. Or if your handy...convert one yourself. Capt,n
Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

This makes no sense to me.

Whats the point of a gas engine in .90 size? Can't be fuel economy. A 90 doesn't use that much fuel anyway.

Another thing:
I asked a question about putting needels on the rods. The consensus was that it would wear out the crank pin if you put needles in the rods. Wasn't worth the extra $3 to put bearings on the rods. People had done it before and it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Now we see this little bitty .90 engine and people are speculating that it's got needles on the rod.

If it DOESN'T have needles on the rodsthen it's pointless. The methanol in glow fuel isn't the expensive ingredient. Nitro ain't too bad either. It's all the darned OIL that makes glow fuel so expensive.

Soif there are NOT needles on the rodthen you'll be running 10% oil or more. There goes the price of your fuel again. Might as well be running it on glow and save the weight and cost of the ignition.

I am real interested to know if it has needles. Also interested to knowWhats the point of it? A .90 size gasser?

Read this Guys post ...........Yesterday I flew my Great Planes Tiger Moth with BME .90 gas installed. I am very impressed. This engine has more that enough power to fly the Moth scale like plus some. Very smooth, idles well and sounds great. Most of the flight can be at about half throttle. I am using a 14/6 K series Master Screw prop. Before all you 3 D fanatics have a stroke because this airplane won,t hover, let ,me ask you when was the last time you saw a full scale aircrat hover inches above the ground in a vertical attitude? You guys should stick to your toy-like electric foamies.
Anyway the BME .90 is a keeper!
Now that sounds to me like it is worth coverting a .90 Supertiger to gas! Capt,n