Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb questions

Humor me, I'm going on seventy....I just got a 4.2 FPE engine and have a couple questions, hopefully someone will help me out.

1) The way the carb is mounted, the needles will be on top meaning I will have to either put holes in the cowl or remove it every time I need to make an adjustment. Can the carb be rotated 180 degrees w/o adverse effects?

2) There is a spring on the throttle arm...seems that would put pressure on the throttle servo. Any reason to keep?

3) The arm for the choke is very small (as on my 3.2 but I work it manually) and I want to connect a servo to this. It seems awfully stiff to me and will take a very strong servo + the arm is at an awkward angle to connect coming from inside the plane. Is this thing adjustable? How do you do it? Should it be so hard to operate?

Your input is appreciated.

Larry
Old 02-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Carb questions

No big deal, I'm already there..Nobody humors me
You can rotate the carb any way that is convenient if you put a separate pulse line from a fitting on the back plate to a fitting in the case..
The spring can be disconnected but leave it there, it keeps the plate in the middle so it won't wear out at the edges...
The tension on the choke shaft is from the ball and spring detent..You could put a longer arm on it, or if using a servo the ball and spring can be taken out...Be careful, they're really small and could fall into the engine...Take the carb off if you want to remove the parts...
You might be able to route out a passage in the carb insulator block from the existing pulse passage to the other side, that way the external pulse line will not be necessary....Sometimes the mounting holes get in the way..The external line takes care of that...
Old 02-09-2006, 10:27 PM
ljones5000

Ralph, thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:42 PM
ljones5000

You know, Ralph, I was an Engineman in the Navy years ago, so I know some about engines. I went to Engineman school and later to an advanced Engineman school. I am not a total idiot although my career was in the financial services industry.

I am sorry that you chose to "speak down" to me the way you did. I don't have much respect for you.

Larry
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

WOW that was uncalled for. What are you talking about? Gawd if I get older and have a disposition like that ,please someone sh*** me.
I better stop now, but maybe you need new glasses too. You asked a question and Ralph gave a good answer.

ORIGINAL: ljones5000

You know, Ralph, I was an Engineman in the Navy years ago, so I know some about engines. I went to Engineman school and later to an advanced Engineman school. I am not a total idiot although my career was in the financial services industry.

I am sorry that you chose to "speak down" to me the way you did. I don't have much respect for you.

Larry
Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Deleted by RTK
Old 02-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)