Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ES Composites CF tuned pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ES Composites CF tuned pipes

I noticed ES Composites http://www.escomposites.com/ has a carbon fiber tuned pipe for the 40cc engines. Shortly they will have a pipe for the 50cc engines. Has anyone tried one? How do they hold up to the normal engine/airframe vibration? I have an EF 87" Yak and plan to add a tuned pipe with my DA50 engine. Looks like I could save a fair amount of weight over the KS 1060 pipe.

Steve
Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ES Composites CF tuned pipes

they work just fine - I have been using various ones -some prototypes -and they holdup well -no problems at all -
you must treat them properly - but not unusually - that is - they must be anchored fore and aft in a manner which will not crush or cut - and airflow around them is necesary - of course.
I don't have a DA50- but on the ZDZ40 and the Evolution 26 -they work great - I will likely get one to use on my ZDZ50 in my EF YAK as soon as one is available .
If you select the proper prop load /pipe length combo -there is no reason why it will not perform well on your engine .
my piped 26 engine runs perfectly smoothly from 1500 to 10000-with no hesitation or sagging or flat spots .
Some pipe combos are worthless - but in most cases they are simply mis matches - wrong prop load -wrong pipe pressure - etc..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22836.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	413384  
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Dick, thanks for the info.

I've been using the ES2C140L90 pipes on my pattern plane with the OS 140 RX engine. These pipes are well made and hold up well with use of a Hyde motor mount.

ECS mentioned he had the first 50cc pipe ready for his flight tests. He hope to get in some test flights as soon as the weather warms up. I too have the EF 87" Yak. My pattern pipe is on the long side. I will need to check with ECS about the pipe length and diameter to make sure it will fit in the EF pipe tunnel.

On my pattern planes, I get good mid range throttle response. How is the mid range response on your set-up?

Steve
Old 02-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Would a couple of those 40cc pipes work on a Zenoah GT-80 twin?

Header:
Do you just have to buy a welder and a pipe bender and do it yourself?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
flipflop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do that, or just order a pair from Macs. Click on " side exhaust engines"

http://www.macspro.com/headers.asp
Old 02-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

I had no idea Macs sold headers that big.

Thanks for the link.[sm=thumbup.gif]