Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

"Slap" starting a Zenoah G62

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Slap" starting a Zenoah G62

I was in a different forum and asked how I "slap" start a G62. I've tried several different techniques, and this is the only one I've come up with to start my stock G62 on magneto with any kind of repeatability. I can whip my G23 right over with ease, but not the G62. So here's how I do it:

Mount prop per instructions. That is, with the motor mounted inverted, turn the prop until you feel compression, and mount the prop at the 12:00-6:00 position. The prop should also be running parallel with the two notches in the prop shaft.

With a cold engine and the throttle set at half, I put my finger over the velocity stack and pull the prop through 2 times. Remove finger, close throttle, and turn prop one time.

I've got a fast idle switch set up, which gives me about 2200 rpm or so. I set the throttle at idle, and turn on the fast idle switch.

Back your prop up from the 12:00 position, to the 1:00 position. Now with a gloved hand, "slap" it like your made at it! Follow through a bit. Normally on the second slap, you'll get a pop, and on the third or forth it will fire and run.

After the first flight of the day, the only thing I do different is prime it with one revolution of the prop instead of two. If you prime it too much, it's going to backfire on you. Not enough, and it won't run. You got to figure out what's right for your motor.........

Don't ask me how it works, because you'll notice that when you have the prop at 1:00, one of the three magnets will already be past the pick-up, one will be in between them, and the last one will be before it. I've tried starting it till I was blue in the face(arm really)[:@] by backing the prop up until all three magnets were before the pick-up. I could start it once out of 100 flips like that. I guess my arm is just too wimpy[&o][&o] and can't get the rpm needed to generate a spark with that technique. I was starting my G62 at the field this weekend faster than a guy with a Evolution 45 was! Half the time his started back-wards

So if you've tried to start your stock G62 to no avail, give this technique a try, it might work for you..........

Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: "Slap" starting a Zenoah G62

I've never started a stock 62.

Call me spoiled--they all get electronic ignition with synchrospark.[8D]

Choke on--ignition on--full throttle. Flip it 3 or 4 times untill it pops once. It'll run really rough for about 1 or 2 seconds and then quit.

Choke off--ignition on--throttle to idle. 2 or 3 easy flips--putter putter putter.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I've never started a stock 62.
I like a challenge. I will say this thing almost got the best of me. I was 10 minutes away from sending it off to Ralph. Mines just 3 or 4 "slaps" and putter putter putter.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Flip and Fly

I had a G 62 and at our club many others had them too. We all started our motors with the same methods described by Nogyro.

It works, however some of us in time found that our motors were getting hard to start again. The problem was that the gap between the magneto and the flywheel was to big. The smaller you can get this gap the simpler they are to start. I would set mine so that a 1 dollar bill folded in two would just fit through the gap. I would loosen of the magneto bolts and let the magnets in the hub suck the magneto down and then tighten it all up.

It makes a difference. Also we found the one motor was always hard to start. Ordered a new magneto for it and it was good as new.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
pcsol
My Feedback: (2)

On the money Nogyro .
I have had quite a few of these engines over the years and have had the same question asked to me many times, particularly at meets /fly’ins. I have had people insist that their 62 will not start by hand, only to have me try it. After changing the prop location, choking correctly, set throttle @ high idle. One, two, three, maybe four flips....

Old 02-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Nogyro

Glad to hear of some other having luck with this starting technique. I was at the field today, and I think I can start my G62 faster than a DA 100 also. Heck, I even got a DA50 and I think I can start the G62 faster than it when cold.

Maybe I'll have my buddy time me next time out and report back to you guys how long it takes.....
Old 02-28-2006, 08:42 PM
off2fly
My Feedback: (11)

Nogyro,The little bit they charge (CH Ignitions)for electronic conversion,Is well worth buying.Easy starting,smoother running and I think more power![8D]
Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Nogyro

I had Ralph change over a G62 for me a few years back. Like a d** fool, I sold the thing. His conversion didn't get anymore power, timing is still set at 28 degrees BTDC. It was however much smoother at idle on the ground. Once in the air though, I can't tell any difference between my stock one or the conversion one. Since learning the starting technique, really no advantage there either now.......

If you can stand the extra bit of weight, stock G62's are just fine. Never thought I would hear myself say that...... [X(]
Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just happy to hear positive comments on the G-62. So many people have slammed them for so long. They gotten a bad rap for a long time.

It's encouraging to see guys using them on aerobatic planes with success. Magneto or electronic--doesn't matter.

I've been using the 62 on aerobatic planes for a few years now. Guys at the field will poo-poo them untill they see the plane fly. I even brought 1 guy home to my house so we could put the plane on the scale and prove to him that I wasn't lying about the weight. He would never have believed me when I told him my Extra only weighed 15.5 pounds with the G-62. He don't say too much now. Plane flies good. Good vertical. Flies light. Floats in for landings. Does all the 3D my silly thumbs can muster. No bad habits--and it's got that big ole boat anchor on the firewall.

It really is nice to see positive comments on the Zenoah engines. They've been around for decades. Reliable, powerful, smooth.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 PM
chrisansilver
My Feedback: (17)

I just recently purchased a Ziroli P-51 w/ a G62, I had one awhile back on a WildHare Edge 540, I converted it to Synchrospark, easy to to operate that way, Well anyway I just knew that I would have to do the same to this one, I flipped till my left arm was wore out, only could get it to pop and putter, then took a break, read a few threads on a G62 and found this one, Guess what it works, I was shocked when it started on the 3rd slap after shooting a little fuel in the carb, killed the engine and boom started again on 2nd slap. repeated to start every 2nd or 3rd slap for 4 to 5 times. Well the next morning after thinking it was just luck, guess what, a shot of fuel in the carb, choked, popped 1st slap, choke off a hint of throttle and 2 slaps later purring like a kitten. Put a smile on my face. Well I thought this needed to shared, will never consider converting it, I think its cool to do what alot of people think can't be done.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Been saying for years that the power is the same either way..Converting loses weight and makes starting a little finger thing...