Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CH ignition Grounding

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 06:24 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CH ignition Grounding

I have a standard CH ignition on a FPE 3.2 engine. This weekend as I was taxiing out to take off, I noticed the grounding strap from the ignition wire was dangling below the engine. Engine still ran fine. I shut it down and brought it back to the pits. This is the ignition module with the seperate wire that is bolted to the engine, not the wire with the cap over the spark plug with a hose clamp type fitting.

I must have stripped out the threads for the bolt holding the grounding wire to the engine. Anyway, after bolting the ground strap to the engine mount I can no longer get the engine to fire. I remember reading somewhere that you can fry the ignition module if you turn the engine over if it wasn't grounded (I think that is what I read).

Can anyone confirm this? Or is my problem somewhere else? Does it sound like my ignition is fried? Should I order a new one or can this one be sent back to be fixed? Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check to see if you have sprk?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Running without the ground will not fry the ignition, only
the sensor..The ignition is normally grounded by the outside braid on the spark plug wire...If that didn't come off the ground was not lost.....C&H is good about fixing ignitions, unless it's a very old model.....
Old 12-11-2002, 04:40 AM
decartme
My Feedback: (21)

Hey I found this from C&H it is a test procedure for the ignition. May have just been a fluke that the ignition did not work after the ground wire came off. Check it out. This may help.

http://www.ch-ignitions.com/CHinst.html
Old 12-11-2002, 03:27 PM
F1race11

Originally posted by rcign
Running without the ground will not fry the ignition, only
the sensor..
Or the SyncroSpark if you have one installed. Murphy says the most expensive part will fail!