Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Another Purpose Made 4 Stroke!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 AM
MSS999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Purpose Made 4 Stroke!

There is a UK company now producing 4 stroke petrol engines for RC models. The prices look reasonable compared with 2-strokes in the UK.

http://www.4strokeengines.com/default.asp

Look interesting for WW1 planes!

Maninder.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Another Purpose Made 4 Stroke!

Gotta have a lot more information on there site before anyone will buy one. Weight, Power output, Prop size and so on. and a V twin, talk about cutting up a cowl. Oh well at least there is someone trying.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:41 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

What am I missing? If a 4 stroke engine requires a gas/oil mix and only puts out approximately 1/2 the HP of a 2 stroke engine what is the advantage of a 4 stroke engine? I'm a little confused, at least a little more than usual.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sound really cool,

and there's lot to be said for cool...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 AM
GoeKeli

It would be a shame to run a cowl at all with this engine line. Very nice work I hope we get to see a lot of them. THe 100cc might fit the bill for my tastes. Cool goes a very very long way for me. Airworld will be introducing more 4 strokes soon too. Good time to wait and see. I don't mind tuning some valves once in a while to get that sound and torque.

Dick, did your review of the H9 Sukhoi 33% use a G62? I got a used suk hanging that needs and interesting engine!~)

Joe
Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 AM
H. Wayne S

How much does it cost American ?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:49 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost $700 for the 22cc and goes up from there. It looks like an interesting homebrew engine. However there are already some great engines out there that are allot more refined and suitable. Honda makes a 25cc with a 360 oil sump so it can be mounted upside down and it burns straight gas. They also make a 35cc that flys the 1/4 WWI warbirds like a dream. Total cost is about $300. Stihl makes a 65cc 4 stroke that performs about like a G62 and burns a 32:1 mix so it can also be mounted inverted. Purpose made doesn't mean better made or more suitable.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Wonder how much HP it really has and what it weighs, maybe you could mount it inverted, looks like cast sleeve liner may be heavy.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
MSS999

Agreed, these engines can not compete with their two-stroke counterparts for power and probably throttle response. But neither did first generation open rocker Saito or OS four stroke motors compete with 2-stroke glow engines. The open rockers were masterpieces of engineering and are still very popular for some types of models.

The four stroke petrols do look and sound absolutely great and produce sufficient power for some types of aircraft - mostly WW1 or pre-WW1 types. Imagine a 100 - 120 inch wingspan Etriche Taube floating in the sky wth an exposed four stroke gasser puffng away on a calm evening. Can you tell that I quite like the four stroke petrols?

I was won over after listening to a converted Briggs 34cc on another RCU thread (Balsa USA Fokker DVII w/4stroke gasser). To the extent that I've just imported three converted engines from the US - a Fuji 35cc, a Honda GX25 and a Briggs Fource currently being converted by Brilleli. And I am only just learning to fly!

Can't wait to get one of them on a large trainer and go learning- now that will be cool.

Maninder S.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that in the near future you will see 4 strokes from the commercial engine arena that are very close to 2 strokes. The EPA and other numerous agencies are constantly increasing the pressure to reduce emissions and also under consumer pressure for less weight and more power. But for now, you certainly have to pick the airframe for the engine. If you put a 4 stroke gasser in an Extra type plane you will hate it, but on a WW1 or Cub type plane they are great.