Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Help me Quiet down my airplane!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:27 PM
jmay
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Quiet down my airplane!!

I need help deciding what canister to use. I have a Katana 29% By Aeroworks with a DA50R. And the field that I’m at now requires that all gas engines have a canister exhaust installed. The only type that I can find on line is the MTW And, I here many others out in the market but where? Could you guy's send me some links. And what type of header should I use? I believe that I have a 25MM drop designed in my airframe. Should I stay away from the flex pipe? The only sites that I can find this stuff on line are Troy Built, DA, and Cactus. I need more info before i decide to spend $200 on something that doesn’t work.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: Help me Quiet down my airplane!!

There are several types of cannisters, MTW, BMB, and KS. I believe DA carries them all, give them a call and they can get you what will work best for your Katana.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:42 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

I hadn't heard that DA carried BMB but maybe they do. If not, here is the link to their site.
http://www.bmb-daempfer.de/daempfer_eng.htm The thing I like is that the BMB is designed for
a very short header and so are the JMB's carried by RC Showcase. I'm running a set of JMB'snow
and they are everything I had hoped for except they seem to weigh a bit more than other brands.
Yes, stay away from flex pipe if you can as they like to leak.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MTW is the top of the bill. Use it, adjust the header length and enjoy the performance.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

the absolute best in world is escomposites.com carbon fiber tuned mufflers especially designed for da100 they weigh less than 1/4 weight of comparable sized aluminum pipes. since heat is expelled out the back and not retained like aluminum, engine runs cooler, there is no heat buildup inside fuse - power is balistic - since carbon fiber does not absorbe or retain heat - pressures stay consistant - throttle is steady and smooth at any position. pipe is perfectly tunned for performance with 11-1/2" header. pipes come with notches at inlet so they will lock into place and won't twist or pull/push. since they are incredibly light I use only one support bracket saving more weight and mounting complexity they come with a nice angled stinger that can be trimmed easily if necessary. spectators and modelers comment that they are the quietest setup ever for a gas engine. aluminum systems can be quiet but still have that tinggy alum noise - these pipes are very quiet but also make a dull thud type noise - you must hear the difference. they are cheep only $250 each or $500 per set. these cannot be compared to any other aluminum type system they are in a class all their own.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39739.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	486529  
Old 07-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Magne

Hello Pizza.
On ES composites' web page they only say "ES 50G - coming soon".
Is that the pipe you are referring to?
Do you have any further data, and where did you get it? (them)
Regards,
Magne
Old 07-05-2006, 08:59 AM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

You may look at Chip Hyde's site. I don't have my 29% Katana anymore but was looking hard at the Hyde pipe for it. Appears to be light weight, and priced right.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:24 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed's CF pipes are the best of the lot quietest and lightest and best construction You pays the price for the best.
Not just an idle comment - I have tried many others and done direct comparisons
Canisters :
different ball game
These range from fu--worthless to excellent and the best are some of the cheapest.
The lowly JMB simple can muffler is not the lightest --but it is sized right (volume wise) and is heavily coated ( reduces "pinking" noises dramatically.)
The super fine looking long tapered aluminum ones from other mfgrs,I have tried --are all noisy -all of em
they are lighter but some can be dented with thumb and finger pressure -and very little of that.
then very small "magic" mufflers are NOT quiet.
You should not decide to spend 200 buck on something that does not work- spend it on something that works.
Best bet- use very short header 4-5" long on a 60/70 JMB muffler can
no tuned length no flex needed and if you have assess to a Aero Trend large Creme Silicone couple - vibration isolation is great.
This set up requires you to set engineat about 8:00 position.
I do most of mine this way
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
pizza

Ed has been very busy filling orders for this new cf gas pipe for 50cc engines, no time to update his website with current info - call him and get on wait list for this new pipe. I visit his manufacturing facility regular just a few miles from my home. I am the unofficial pipe tester - he makes me pay full price and buy him dinner also. after ed tests his carbon fiber pipe designes for hours on engine stand - I am one of the first to test in air. here is ed trying to touch his rudder on my yak
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41797.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	487630  
Old 07-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

A quiet giant scale airplane is like a silent Harley or a stealthy 1000HP powerboat. If we give up the noise we'll end up like those introverted pattern fliers, always there yet invisible.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 AM
rmh

Oh come now -it isn't that bad--
Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 AM
pizza

when local home association groups pass around surveys trying to get a modelport closed - the number one complaint is noise, not safety or alternative use of land. if we don't do all we can to keep it reletively quiet we will be flying foamies in our backyards only.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Im just kidding, I prefer them silent myself. In my area there are a couple of guys with very quiet planes who fly everyday trying to be IMAC champs. The wrest have their own clique, they are either trying to outspend each other or be the most obnoxious, flying is clearly secondary.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 PM
jmay
My Feedback: (10)

Thankyou all for your in put and help. I know what your saying about noise, I dont mind that sound of my DA50 ripping through the air, however the people that live near the field thank other wise. So in efforts to keep our flying field alive, I need to chop it down..

DICK HANSON... Where can I find a JMB set up?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
srm99

well theres only one last thing to do is design one big ass electric motor and 20 x 3 cell batterys with a voltage regulator
MIND U THIS IS LAST RESORT
Old 07-07-2006, 05:01 AM
rmh

The JMB stuff from RC Showcase --for ZDZ50NG will fit the DA50
I prefer to use absolutely shortest possible header on these 4-6" long