Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 100 - starting drill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:48 AM
bdunsire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 100 - starting drill?

Just wondering what your experiences are with this engine - the DA100.

I have a 3 month old DA100 - for the first start of the day, I choke 'till a cough, then 5 to 7 more flips and it is running. The same drill holds true for subsequent starts that day - I mean I always have to choke for 1 or two flips - waiting for a short run with choke on, then choke off, and it starts in 5-7 flips.

Never thought anything strange about that, my older 3W engines all start the same way.

But now, another new (part of the'Bob the final tour" toys ) DA100, and this one is different. First start of the day, as with all my other engines, choke , flip, unchoke 5-7 flips and running. BUT after the first start of the day - it will start with 1 to 3 flips, with no choke, after even a couple of hours of sitting. I have never had this experience with any of my other engines.. The only 'different thing about this engine is that it is my only engine with cans.. But??

How do you start your DA100 ? First start of the day, and subsequent? Just curious..

Cheers,
Bob
Old 07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DA 100 - starting drill?

I've found that just about all the engines, sizes, and types all seem to start the same way. Every once in awhile you'll get one that likes to be different. It may just be something as simple as the way the fuel line is routed permitting a little fuel to remain running to the carb. Or it may be something entirely unrelated to fueling at all. Take advantage of the easy one is all I can say
Old 07-08-2006, 02:06 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

typically - warm restarts are quicker with a lower throttle (idle setting) and/or a slightly richer idle setting - any engine - my ZDZ stuff afer setting between flights - takes a lazy flop and that's it.
unless you overheat an engine or it is already smoked - most any gasser will do the same - except for the old magneto thingys
hot restarts tho -a different thing - you flop thru a half dozen NO CHOKE attempts then they start - has to do with heat .
Old 07-09-2006, 06:05 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

HI
I have also tried 10 flips with choke on, ignition off.

Take off choke and turn on ignition, it starts on first flip.

Bill
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 PM
bdunsire

Interesting stuff gentlemen.

The rest of the story on my two DA100s, is that they are in identical planes - the setup, installation, etc. is all identical too - except one has cans, and one has the stock 'mufflers' - That the new engine, from day one (which was just Wednesday), started on the first flip after it had been run that day, even after sitting for an hour or more - is amazing to me.. I certainly don't mind, but how unique (to me) and I thought it would be interesting to see if others had this experience.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Bob,

The typical starting method you described with your first engine is the same my DA 100 goes through with each start. If you're unhappy with the new DA100 that starts on the first flip, I'll gladly trade you mine for yours!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:37 PM
VT BARNSTORMER
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Bob
Me and my Best friend have the same Comp-Arf YAK's with DA 100's and can's. First start of the day we have to choke 'till a cough, then 5 flips and it starts. But after that it will start with one flip the rest of the day (most of the Time) and to (KNOCK ON WOOD).
From the tank the fuel line dips low after the fire wall to the carb that my prevent fuel from draining back to the tank. and allowing a quick start, not shur.

I have seen meny different ways of starting process and have wanted to ask this same question as you did !

How do you start your DA100 or 150 ? First start of the day, and subsequent? Just curious..

I have seen a method of holding the spinner with ignition off and just bouncing the prop back and forth between compression about 15 times ( working the pump ?? ) and then switch on and one flip it starts. Seems simple but didn't work for me .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21445.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	492811  
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Try this it works for me , cold , WOT ,full choke 6 full flips open choke throttle still open 2 more flips. Go to idle ignition on starts first flip. When warm a few flips

Kent
Old 08-05-2006, 06:34 PM
aussie_flyer

I go full throttle, choke on, (Ign off!!) and 5 to six flips until you here the carb 'hiss'. Then back to idle, with the choke off and ignition on it should go fisrt flip.

Subsequent starts I do the full throttle choke thingy for one or two flips, depending on how much hissing I get then it goes first flip after that.

I like to see you have baffled the motor on you Yak mate. Heres how I did mine

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6116