Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Giant Big Stick and BCMA SPE 40 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Giant Big Stick and BCMA SPE 40 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
SIREX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Big Stick and BCMA SPE 40 Build

Anyone interested in seeing this. I will be starting in about a week.

Still waiting on some goodies and upgrades.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 PM
nrthwing

Default RE: Giant Big Stick and BCMA SPE 40 Build

I am very interested as I planned on doing the same build.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
solo_one
My Feedback: (13)

Just finished my Giant Big Stik with a G38, test flight tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 PM
SIREX

I am on vacation this coming week but I plan to start the following week. I have some upgrades and I am also planning on getting some decals from Aero Grafix to make it look like a Red Baron ghost plane.

Some of the things I already have are:

Custom cut Tru Turn Red aluminum spinner
Fromeco Batteries with regulators (ignition and controls)
Red BCMA SPE 40
Hanger 9 3 1/2' main wheels
Ohio Superstar tail wheel assembly
Top Flite 18x10 prop
New JR 6102 with R770 PCM
C&H ignition
Hitec servos 645,635
and some other goodies.

If anyone has some pointers or tips please list them.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:58 PM
SIREX

Solo,

Let me know how everthing went.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:44 AM
solo_one

Looks like the rain wins today, test flight has been pushed off till tomorrow. I made a few minor modifications during the build, but this is my first gas plane so what I did may be common. I installed the fuel tank in the second bay, behind where the manual reccomends. This keeps it closer to the CG, something that was suggested by a guy at my club and it has worked out well for him. All stock pushrods were replaced in favor of 4-40 all thread and safety clevis', Nyrod for the throttle, the rudder and elevator pushrods were fitted with .187 ID carbon fiber tube. I also replaced the CA hinges with nylon as a precaution. I am using a redundant battery system with 2 1450 MAh NIMH.

Two major things to watch for. I had to take 30 minute epoxy and an acid brush over every joint that I could reach. Simply running the engine during tuning caused a couple weak spots under the wing. I also installed the fuel tank formers in the nose even though I moved the tank back, just for some extra stregnth. The CG has been modified by Great Planes and an ammendment was included with my manual, although another pilot in my club doing the same build didnt get the new information with his ARF and he ended up removing a bunch of weight. The new figure is 5 7/8" from the leading edge, changed from 7". This took me from adding over 4 ounces to the tail to adding just under 3 ounes to the nose.

All in all it was easy enough, I was probably too anal but I guess you can never be too careful. The G38 mounted easily, balanced easily, and sunday we'll see how she flies.

I didnt go with a spinner, but I still may. I too am using an 18-10 Zinger, may drop to an 18-8, we'll see how it does first.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:26 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

I have a G45 with EI on mine, insane power. A little hard to land because it's a floater and the big engine with a 22x8. Lands best with an extremely low idle. With the bigger engine, I added three screws on the top and bottom of the fuselage going into the firewall similiar to what Great Planes did on the sides.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Solo, I know what you mean. I was going to maiden my Sig 300XS today, but not happening. tomorrow looks good from what the weather forcast says. I.m in Wilmington Oh, and fly at Hillsborro. Just got my BCMA-SPE 40 the other day, got it mounted and did some fine tuning.
It's a beast. Can't wait to get it in the air. Oh well, one more day.

Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 08:23 AM
solo_one

Yeah, it looks like the weather is running a day behind here, but oh well, another day wont hurt. I normally fly a few miles from home at the RORKS field, but a few of us are heading to Rio Grande tomorrow to fly at the Bob Evans farm.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

We fly at Liberty park just across from the YMCA there in hillsborro.
Bob
Old 07-23-2006, 05:49 AM
tlnibert

Solo, did you have trouble getting the nylon control horn on your Zenoah G-38. I have a G-26 that I just can't get it to fit right. The idle plate interfers. I'll have the same problem with the G-38 also.
A friend did as the instructions said and broke off the metal piece and tried to install the nylon, it just does,t work.
Tom
Huntington, WV
Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 AM
solo_one

The control horn and throttle linkage were already installed when I got the G38, so I didnt have to mess with any of that. I can post a picture of the setup later if that would help, just loaded the Trailblazer and heading out for the maiden flight right now.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wildchild,

Any troubles with the BCMA 40? Which ignition are you using? Fairly easy to start? thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 AM
tlnibert

Solo One, send the picture to [email protected]
A friend took the metel arm off the throttle and replaced it with the nylon, but it just doesn't work. I was just looking at my new G-38 and it has the arm still on it.
I'm taking my Big Stick 60 with a Saito 120 for power out in a little while.
Tom
Old 07-23-2006, 04:27 PM
solo_one

The maiden voyage went very well. Two clicks of trim on the down elevator and 1 click of right aileron and she flew straight and steady. The G38 ran perfectly, and with an 18-10 Zinger it will hover the plane at half throttle. All in all, I am very pleased. The balance was perfect and other than a slight crosswind, conditions were perfect. The Bob Evans Flyers were very friendly and I look forward to going back in a couple weeks for their annual fly in.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:15 PM
tlnibert

I need a picture of how it was attach to the carb. I have a G-26 on it, but I'll go ahead and redrill for the G-38. I flew my ultra mini Stick and my Gp 60 with the Saito 120, both flew great. I have to run to FL. tomorrow, my brother took ill, but I should be at Bob Evans next month. I'm a member of the Skyhawks that flies at Cannonsburg KY. I've flown at Bob Evans many times.
I fly mostly at Barboursville Park just outside Huntington. Very large field.
Keep in touch
Tom
Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 PM
nrthwing

Solo and others,

I have been watching this thread closely. I plan on buying the Giant Stick this week and am struggling, really struggling with the engine choice (this will be my first gas experience).

BCME 40, Birelli 40, Zenoah G 38. Solo, you stated your G 38 flys the plane great and the balance is perfect. That engine is a good 20 ounces heavier than the others I mentioned and has a mag spark system. However the product has a good reputation.

Guys I need some help! Which engine? I want to be able to hand start it and have the power to go vertical in a hurry.

Give me some of your success stories (with the Giant Big Stick).

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
tnorris

I would advise you to get the brillelli 40. I have one and love it. I am biased towards this motor because it is the first gaser I have owned. I have seen the zehoah engines fly and they work fine. My engine only takes about 4 flicks to get it started and it runs perfectly every time. Almost 2 gallons through it and it gets stronger with each flight. I have been thinking of getting a big stick and I would buy another brillelli 40 without hesitation.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 PM
chuck l

Mike,

If you read my earlier post, I have a G45 on mine, and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that for a first gas plane. In hindsight, I'm not sure I would buy that engine again because a G62 basically weighs the same, but I bought it for a Sig Sun Dancer. I give this as background because I originally had a G26 on my Big Stick and flew it this winter in Florida. When we got home, the G26 had to go back on the plane it was borrowed from, thus the G45. The G26 flew it well and has been a great runner for me and others. I don't mean to put down the G38, its a good reliable workhorse, but is showing its age relative to the newer engines. I've seen it stated several times in the gas forum that the G26 is a better choice over a G38 because it is a strong engine and quite a bit lighter than the G38. My G26 would hover the plane if I had the thumbs, certainly has enough power. I've heard good things about the 40cc size engines you listed but would be concerned about them having too much power for a newbee to a gas size plane. The plane is rated for up to a 35cc engine. But, then if you are experienced and have had highly powered planes, get one of the 40cc sized engines with electronic ignition. With the EI they start on the fourth or fifth flip. The plane is rugged enough to handle the power.

The Big Stik tends to be a floater because of the big wing. The bigger engines swing bigger props which even at idle make it hard to land. I had my best landing this last week with the plane when the motor died because of a bad ignition battery. Floated right in for a no bounce three point landing in the middle of the runway. Can't do that with the big 20x8 prop turning at idle. Also with the 20" prop I needed to go with a taller landing gear which I also had made with thicker aluminum by TNT. (Opps, I just noticed I said 22" in my earlier post which is wrong.) The stock gear even bent with some of my not so soft landings with the G26. I found the flaps weren't needed, I use them as ailerons.

BTW, somebody asked me the other night if the plane had enough power....can't pass on that kind of question. I did a relaxing 1/2 throttle takeoff, pointed it vertical and hitted full throttle until it was a dot in the sky.

Sorry I'm rambling, but I hope this helps.

Chuck

Chuck
Old 07-24-2006, 05:45 AM
solo_one

All during my build, I was certain that I would need to add tail weight to the Giant Big Stik since the G38 was a heavier engine, but in the end it took 3 ounces in the nose to balance it out. Had I mounted my batteries closer to the front it may not have needed any weight. I basicly went with this engine because I picked up a good running motor for a very reasonable price, and after flying the plane I feel like I went in the right direction. It did sit for about a year, so I had to put a $7 kit in the carb, but otherwise it starts right up and runs like a champ. I dont have any expirience with other gas engines as this is my first, so I cant really offer any other advice there, but with the price of the plane, motor, all new servos, and stronger hardware, I have around $750 in a new gasser that is a real joy to fly. There certainly are better engines out there, but mine was $150 including the mounting cup and new muffler, so I think I did ok.

Tom, I sent one pic to your email, if it isnt clear enough i'll take another. I am familiar with the area where you fly as my brother in law is the Fire Chief near by in Salt Rock. I think there is a club down along the river there somewhere, or maybe I am thinking of the skydivers that I see from time to time.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 AM
solo_one

Chuck, I havent used my flaps yet, and I agree that they arent needed. I'll probably end up setting them up as ailerons, although I wasnt sure how effective they would be. Did you try yours both ways first? How much better did it handle with the flaps as alierons? I am using Futaba 3050's on my ailerons and 9001's on my flaps, I may go with 2 more 3050's and just have some huge ailerons.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:42 AM
chuck l

solo_one

The flaps set up to work as ailerons helps the roll rate, but greatly. They are too small to have big effect because of the large square wing, but then this isn't a 3D plane.

Chuck
Old 07-24-2006, 08:01 AM
water.boy

If you're thinking about the SPE 40, then at least give the Brillelli 40 some serious consideration. It's an improved version as far as I know. Here's part of an email from Scott at Brillelli explaining the differences (I'm not trying to start a vendor battle here, just giving you some options so believe what you want to):

" The SPE 40 is the same engine I do. I usually do not bad
mouth other engines, but I have a lot of experience with the SPE engines so I
feel I have the right The stock 40 is a paint shaker for vibration. Also the
Chineese ignition is a pile of crap. I sent one to CH for testing and it failed
within 1 hour of run time. They have an electric motor they run them on and it
started arcing inside in about 40 min. Spark was jumping in the EI unit from
time to time after about 40 min and would have eventually failed as a carbon
path was made. I buy the engines with no EI, ballance the crankshaft, do some
polish work to them to dress them up, install pressure taps for smoke, replace
the way too small carb with a larger one, install a new single bolt prop hub,
and install CH EI. The origional prop hubs do not run true. Plus there is no
Knurling on them so the prop will spin on the hub pretty easy. Also the 40's I
do are a couple ounces lighter than a stock SPE 40. Mine are 3lbs 3oz with EI.
Most of that is due to my lighter prop hub. Power on ours is higher as well.
That is mainly due to the larger carb. As for the larger props they are
suggesting now, that is mainly due to the ignition unit not firing properly at
high rpm. If they get the rpm's down, then thier EI works better. CH will fire
at 10,000+ all day long. The 40 works best on a 20x8 for 3D, and an 18x8 or
18x10 for other types of flying. "

Their web site is www.brillelli.com

I've got one on order and another member has one and is running it now. Flight report from him soon. So far it seems to be WAAYY smoother than the stock configuration, which is nice since I'll be overpowering a 140 sized plane with it.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
solo_one

ORIGINAL: chuck l

They are too small to have big effect because of the large square wing, but then this isn't a 3D plane.

Chuck
I suspected as much, with the flaps being so far inboard I couldnt see how much good they would do as ailerons. I'll probably go ahead and set them up since the flaps are basicly a novelty at this point.

Youre absolutely right about this not being a 3D plane, but its a good transition plane for anyone wanting to play with a gasser. To me, it flies somewhat like a trainer, without the self-correcting characteristics of your typical glow trainer. When I want to play, I use either my GP Extra 300S or my Goldberg Hot Stik anyways.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
nrthwing

Sirex,
Have you started the build?

Let's keep this thread going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.