Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

HITEC EQUIPMENT ARE POOR FOR GAS ENGINES

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here
View Poll Results: A poll
36.61%
DISLIKE
4.92%
HATE
9.84%
LOVE
48.63%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

HITEC EQUIPMENT ARE POOR FOR GAS ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:35 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: HITEC EQUIPMENT ARE POOR FOR GAS ENGINES

I will add my part to this thread.

The only servos I've ever had flat out fail were Hitec. (three before I learned my lesson)

The only servos I've ever had perform so badly out of the box that I returned them were Hitec. (5 of their "high end" digitals)

Last week I was at the field and saw a BRAND new Hitec 59xx servo fail on a maiden flight of a 33%er. The guy that was flying and built/assembled the plane was the best most experienced pilot in our club. He was assembling the plane for another member and recommended against using the servo in the first place.

Hitec sells a ton of stuff because they are BUDGET, and people are attracted to their low prices. There is no comparison between Hitec and Futaba or JR.

I'm speaking based on my own PERSONAL experiences.

Flame away you Hitec people, flame away.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside form the "who's the best" debate, which will never end, here's a thought. If you leave a transmitter that has a frequency module turned on until you run the battery down there is a strong possibility that the module will be negatively affected. Remember to turn off the tx when you quit flying for the day.

Oh, yea, I almost forgot. "Feel the Difference" Fly JR![8D]
Old 07-23-2006, 12:08 AM
camss69

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Aside form the "who's the best" debate, which will never end,

Oh, yea, I almost forgot. "Feel the Difference" Fly JR![8D]
Yeah I was trying to avoid falling into that debate that's why I mentioned BOTH Futaba and JR.

I even mentioned Futaba first!

Even though I do feel the difference.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:19 AM
srm99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys i dont want a product war but has been interesting i was at the feild today just trying to fig it out i am 100% sure its something common with hitec eclips 7 it seams the power output levels or reduced badly in mine maybe a curict board not supplying enough power to the modual a resister faulty i don t know i ask people with jr and futaba they say whats a glitch .
i tryied my modual in a brand new eclips 7 and my range was 10X further so its in the trani somewhere batterys are good antenna is good . its going in on monday .
Old 07-23-2006, 04:16 AM
crabby

ok guys
have some info re:seans problems with hitec
i have not been flying for long and still dont know what does what and what are glitches compared to wind turbulance when the plane suddenly does something funny then recovers itself but this is what has happend to me(i also have hitec eclipse 7).i first bought a easyfly 40 trainer and every now and then while flying it would give a little flutter in the air and do something like drop a wing o and was told not to worry about it could be just interferance?or a bit of bad wind(turbulance)so i just put up with it.was flying one day and went into a dive tried to pull up and had nothing untill a few feet of the ground then it swooped up again so i bought it back around to land but it did it again with the end reslult a pile of balsa in the paddock .i took the old reciever out and bought a new one on advice that maybe that was crook.built the freestyle with the new reciever and same thing every now and then but being a newby just put up with it still being told maybe wind turbulance.i decided to get and electric plane and had heaps of problems with glitching using a gws micro crystal and reciever(same transmitter)so swapped it for another one and had the same problem.changed to another micro and same thing.put my reciever from the freestyle in the electric and was mostly ok but still did it to a lesser extent.i was with sean today at the field and was chatting about his trouble and we did a range test with my plane.i get only about 8 mtrs away from my plane with the aireal down and the plane started clithching,got 30 mtrs away and had no response from the plane at all.tried the same test with seans transmitter and my module(same thing)30 mtrs max.what range should i be getting 100 plus?i also had glitches today.any hints or help much apreciated
regards crabby
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 AM
camss69

It could be interference with your particular channel at your field.

I know at my field, there are two channels that always have interference, I think it's 42 and 43, or something, but a couple guys brought out those hobbico frequency scanners, and with no radios turned on those two show active channels. Not every scan for one of them I think 42 goes in and out but 43 shows active every scan. People still had been flying on those channels up until recently when they became more aware of the interference. People were loosing planes on those channels and not knowing why.

I would check yours, especially if you tried another transmitter.

For the most part a "glitch" or "hit" will be pretty obvious, you will be flying along strait and level, and all of a sudden the plane will twitch big time, and usually end up in a different attitude that it was originally in because the control surfaces moved. You can also tell a glitch by the engine RPM if it changes and you didn't move the sticks that's also a good sign. Turbulence the plane will usually just wonder around or shake back and forth, it may change heading slightly, or start going up or down due to thermals, but it will usually maintain it's previous attitude because the control surfaces didn't move.

What you describe where the plane dives towards the ground and you have no conrtol until 5 feet before the ground, that's "loss of control" not a "glitch" which is worse.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All manufacturers realize a percentage of failures and or problems with product, electro-mechanical devices are more suspect than others IMO. The number of units sold directly relates to same. If one OEM sells three times the volume of all others, more likely than not were going to see more problematic posts.

While failures are rare out of the box; stuff happens. Again this is true for all OEM’s. You’ll find posts alluding to same all over the internet; we see time and time again.

Literally thousands and thousands of modelers have success with Hitec products and more specifically with Hitec programmable digital servos. All Hitec digitals utilize exactly the same potentiometer and also share coreless motor supplier as another industry leader. Together with Hitec’s proprietary programmable digital amplifier, Alumilite/Titanium/Karbonite gear trains these servos are unparalleled in the industry… Fully understanding Hitec’s programmable servos its abilities and implementing same will always be a variable in successful use of same for those that venture to unfold the hidden treasure. The quality, performance and robustness of Hitec’s 5900 series digitals can be directly compared to any other high end OEM digital servo.

I believe a number of purported equipment failures are user induced, failure to fully comprehend the requirements, care and feeding of high power digitals is a problem. We don’t really know the whole story when modelers report shortcomings. More often than not we can dig into the respective problems and find plausible scenarios that may or may not alleviate the finger pointing. Bind free mechanical linkage systems with the appropriate linkage ratio is paramount to good results. Proper mechanical setup together with the required TX programming is a must, otherwise excessive current draw, binding, unequal travel arcs and end-point stalling becomes common-place. A prudent modeler should utilize an inline ammeter/volt meter and throw meter of some sort to help recognize problematic setups.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

I get 300 feet range check with my Qpcm hitec receivers with the Kroma 100 engine running without a glitch. Not trying to start a war here but maybe i have been lucky but like Michael says the number of Hitec units sold in comparison to the others is a sign that many people use Hitec equipment.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:57 AM
mglavin

Crabby,

Have the crystals been changed in the TX module or RX. Are they known to be good components? Can you borrow a TX module and crystal for additional testing.

The range should be a minimum of 30 paces (22.8 meters) with antenna collapsed and an Eclipse TX. Anything short of same is a problem and should merit grounding the model and a thorough investigation of the short-coming…

A range check should be performed with the engine running or not, even with a glow powered models. This helps isolate the problems with regard to vibration. Any metal to abrasion is suspect. Ensure you have NO metal to metal contact areas, i.e., clevises/ control arms, tail wheels and the like.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:06 AM
dshemelrick

I have 3 jrs and one futaba and only one hitec servo and its put in a non threatening capacity, like my jrs and have one futaba thats good radiobut prefer jr,s
Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 AM
camss69

ORIGINAL: mglavin

All manufacturers realize a percentage of failures and or problems with product, electro-mechanical devices are more suspect than others IMO. The number of units sold directly relates to same. If one OEM sells three times the volume of all others, more likely than not were going to see more problematic posts.

While failures are rare out of the box; stuff happens. Again this is true for all OEM’s. You’ll find posts alluding to same all over the internet; we see time and time again.

Literally thousands and thousands of modelers have success with Hitec products and more specifically with Hitec programmable digital servos. All Hitec digitals utilize exactly the same potentiometer and also share coreless motor supplier as another industry leader. Together with Hitec’s proprietary programmable digital amplifier, Alumilite/Titanium/Karbonite gear trains these servos are unparalleled in the industry… Fully understanding Hitec’s programmable servos its abilities and implementing same will always be a variable in successful use of same for those that venture to unfold the hidden treasure. The quality, performance and robustness of Hitec’s 5900 series digitals can be directly compared to any other high end OEM digital servo.

I believe a number of purported equipment failures are user induced, failure to fully comprehend the requirements, care and feeding of high power digitals is a problem. We don’t really know the whole story when modelers report shortcomings. More often than not we can dig into the respective problems and find plausible scenarios that may or may not alleviate the finger pointing. Bind free mechanical linkage systems with the appropriate linkage ratio is paramount to good results. Proper mechanical setup together with the required TX programming is a must, otherwise excessive current draw, binding, unequal travel arcs and end-point stalling becomes common-place. A prudent modeler should utilize an inline ammeter/volt meter and throw meter of some sort to help recognize problematic setups.
Michael,

I too believed this when I bought my last set of servos for my current H9 Extra 260. I thought hey there are more of them out there of course there are more failures. So I bought your digitals for my plane. I installed these servos according to the plane manufacturers instructions and had TERRIBLE servo centering. I mean the surfaces were off by 1/8" almost every time I moved the surface and sometimes more. I could not get any consistancy out of these servos. I called Hitec, and explained my problem, they said it's a "linkage or stiff control surface" My linkages are set up for optimal mechanical advantage, just as described in the instruction manual. My surfaces when not hooked up to anything flop back and fourth almost no resistance. Then the guy on the phone says "well I've never heard of a problem with these servos centering these are one of our most popular servos". There are repeated documented cases on RCU with these servos and mainly it revolves around centering. The guy from Hitec said I should send them in to be "checked out" they are brand new shouldn't they have been checked before you sent them out the door in the first place?

I returned the servos to tower for a refund. Then I bought JR 8411's installed them and they center PERFECTLY every time. No programmer needed. What is the advantage of having to use a programmer if I'm not using multiple servos on one flight surface? To adjust my brand new servo to zero deadband? Why didn't it come that way to begin with? Don't you think that's what a modeler wants?

I'm not saying there aren't people that consistantly get good results and aren't perfectly happy with Hitec. But my experience has been nothing but bad, like I mentioned before, the only servo brand I've EVER had fail were Hitecs, 3 of your standard servos. When I bought the servos for my plane I thought "ahh people must be setting them up wrong" and "there are a ton more of them out there so of course there are going to be more problems" and "there can't be that many problems with them or they wouldn't sell them" well.. what's the explination then?

One other thing I noticed, when I moved one click of trim on the transmitter (JR9303), the Hitec servo wouldn't always move, sometimes it would take two or 3 before it moved. With the JR's on click on the transmitter equaled a movement I could see, every time.

This has been my experience.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:02 AM
mglavin

Camm

As I noted previously stuff happens, and all OEM’s fall short of offering the perfect product with nary a problem out of the box or down the road… Believe me plenty of other OEM’s have trouble with their products too, likely the inexpensive stuff is more prone to failure than others.

It’s paramount to make comparisons with like product and specifications, we often find modelers making comparisons much akin as an apple to an orange and suggest one product is inferior to the latter, go figure…

Hitec 5900 servos center as well as there counterpart out of the box in my experience. Many believe differently for whatever reason; but back to back mono-mono tests suggest there is little to no difference in test fixtures with mechanical measuring devices and the like. Often what is purported to be a direct comparison and or change out as in your example leave room for variables that skew a direct comparison, i.e., TX setup parameters, linkage ratios and mechanical setup and more. I’d suggest something changed in your example. A simple test with a servo test jig and pointer will provide admirable results for direct comparisons with NO other influences in play. A more sophisticated setup utilizing a .001 tolerance dial indicator and dedicated precise control signal and power source will garner results that will stand the test of any argument IMO. Myself and others have been here done it many times to date.

The Programmer and its innate abilities associated with matching the TX-Servo-Model specific setup are unmatched. NO other system presently offered by any OEM can parallel this technology and the highly desirable attributes thereof with out ancillary devices which are pail in comparison and fall short of providing mono-mono results. Scalar attempts with linkage ratios, surface deflection-TX deflection and model specific needs are implausible with all others while Hitec’s programmables excel!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:50 PM
srm99

mglavin

as u know your hitec the question i want to ask is has there been a current faults with the eclips 7 between the modual and the antenna as i have lost my range i didnt beleive it was tx untill i spent a lot off money replacing possible causes then a club member with a brand new eclips 7 said put your modual in my new one if problem follows its the modual if it dosent its yor tranni the problem did not follow as my range is very short . the range differance are 10 x betwwen the 2
Old 07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
mglavin

I am not aware of any known faults with the Eclipse and or TX modules for same. The entire RF section is contained in the module, if you used the TX with the antenna down for extended periods of time (heat is generated as the antenna is not tuned at this length) setting up and or range checking your model its plausible the module may have been damaged. The Eclipse is and has always been a solid performer.

Has the crystal been changed in your module? Is it possible the antenna is loose at the base and or the connection is damaged?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
crabby

hi guys
i bought hitec as there were quite a few at our field using them and were told they were a good product so as a newby i followed there advice and bought one.money is an issue so i cant just go out and buy a 1000+ setup and value for money hitec stood out from the crowd.

Have the crystals been changed in the TX module or RX. Are they known to be good components? Can you borrow a TX module and crystal for additional testing.
wheni first was learning i had channel 41 and on the first chance i got to go up(so did 6 others so i had to wait to fly).i then decided the next day to get 27 (ordered it and at this stage i am the only onewith this frequency,so i got the transmitter verrified to 27 flew it for a few weeks thats when i lost the plane. i took the reciever out(qpcm)and bought a brand new ppm.built a new plane and just put it all down to turbulance as sudjested by people who were at the field on thosse particular days i had problems.

The range should be a minimum of 30 paces (22.8 meters) with antenna collapsed and an Eclipse TX. Anything short of same is a problem and should merit grounding the model and a thorough investigation of the short-coming…
at the moment i get to about 30 mtrs(no more)and have no controll over the plane(absaloutly dead).unscrewed the ariel cleaned it screwed it back in and nothing changed.

A range check should be performed with the engine running or not, even with a glow powered models. This helps isolate the problems with regard to vibration. Any metal to abrasion is suspect. Ensure you have NO metal to metal contact areas, i.e., clevises/ control arms, tail wheels and the like.
done that no change.moved things around and checked for that on advice from others and found all looked good.had others check it out for me as well to make sure i got another point of view and all was looking good.

i know alot of people have hitec without any issues it is just disheartning as a newby to want to get out there any chance i get but cant untill these issues are solved as i cant afford another plane just yet

Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 AM
mglavin

when i first was learning i had channel 41 i then decided the next day to get 27, so i got the transmitter verrified to 27 flew it for a few weeks thats when i lost the plane.
So how was the TX "verified"? Crystal replacements are done by qualified Technicians with the appropriate test equipment i.e., a Radio Service Monitor or the like to verify the TX is transmitting on the channel/frequency in play. In many cases all is well, while other times retuning is required. #41 to #26 is a substantial jump IMO.

This information with regard to changing the TX crystal is paramount to uncovering the source of the problems you’re experiencing and should have been divulged earlier on in this discussion. Whenever a change has been made to the RF section of a working “certified†TX/module and subsequent results are less than expected, one would look back and take note of the changes implemented previously. In this case your disfavor with Hitec products may have been user induced rather than manufacturer short comings and or oversight. These revelations lend credence to my previous thoughts with regard to modelers pointing fingers rather than assuming the position.

Please have the TX and module tested by an authorized Service Center to validate its integrity prior to committing your models to flight, its cheap insurance in the scheme of things not to mention for the safety of others. I’d suggest having all your RX’s inspected too, especially the crash damaged units.

If you're realizing at least 23 meters range antenna down, the system is working within stated performance specifications. But you have alluded to other probable concerns IMO and have realized intermittent control link failures. Reason enough for me to seek counsel with a qualified Service Technician.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:12 AM
crabby

thankyou for the reply michael
So how was the TX "verified"? Crystal replacements are done by qualified Technicians with the appropriate test equipment i.e., a Radio Service Monitor or the like to verify the TX is transmitting on the channel/frequency in play. In many cases all is well, while other times retuning is required. #41 to #26 is a substantial jump IMO.
i took it too our local bloke who ownes battery world in geelong and he is the one who does most of geelongs stuff.

the reciever and both the rx that was in the crashed plane and the one i am currently using have been sent back ti hitec for a look and see what happens.all i can do is wait and see what happens.i will post what the findings are in detal when i get it all back.for now i might have to go and find a copy of g3

thanks again-much apreciated
crabby
Old 07-24-2006, 03:25 AM
srm99

ORIGINAL: crabby

thankyou for the reply michael
i took it too our local bloke who ownes battery world in geelong and he is the one who does most of geelongs stuff.

the reciever and both the rx that was in the crashed plane and the one i am currently using have been sent back ti hitec for a look and see what happens.all i can do is wait and see what happens.i will post what the findings are in detal when i get it all back.for now i might have to go and find a copy of g3

thanks again-much apreciated
crabby

thats alright paul you and me can play g3 with my laptop at the feild it might be cheaper
Old 08-04-2006, 06:37 PM
rcflyer60
My Feedback: (15)

Come on guys - lets get real . All electronics are capable of having problems --ALL. I will go on record and state that I have been flying Hitec equipment for 8 years now and have not lost a plane ( or crashed one ) due to any problem with my systems . I fly a 27% extra with a Brison 3.2 - a 100" glider tug with a Brison 3.2 and a Dragon Lady ( 90 size ) with a OS FX 91 , a 100" electric sail plane and more . I have a old Flash 5 and a Eclipse with module . I love the Eclipse and have had six planes stored in the system - no problems . I am far more careful than the average guy and I check my planes connections ( servo to surface ) plugs - everything after every outing . I have had to bury only one plane with thirty years of flying . Most crashes that I have investigated for fellow club members show wires routed close to hot metal - control surface connectors that do not use safety nuts to stop vibration or pieces of fuel line to keep them closed . So on- so on etc. I find it amazing how long many guys will fly with transmitter batteries that are 6 - 7 or even 10 years old ! Same guys change reciever batteries out every 3 - 5 years ???
With regard to JR Futaba and other brands I must say that I find it really strange that they are always avaliable for sale on RCU and Hitec is almost never found there . Logic says that you dont get rid of something that works well -- think about it . No company that sells "crap" can stay in business knowingly selling "crap" . I know as I have been the business of sales and marketing for 40 years . I can sell anyone "crap" once - but that is the end of that road . My current employer has been making a wide range of consumer products since 1920 - still growing .
If modelers would just be honest they would claim responsibility for their crashes when they are at fault - dam few are purely radio system failure . And that is the truth !
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 AM
srm99

ORIGINAL: rcflyer60

Come on guys - lets get real . All electronics are capable of having problems --ALL. I will go on record and state that I have been flying Hitec equipment for 8 years now and have not lost a plane ( or crashed one ) due to any problem with my systems . I fly a 27% extra with a Brison 3.2 - a 100" glider tug with a Brison 3.2 and a Dragon Lady ( 90 size ) with a OS FX 91 , a 100" electric sail plane and more . I have a old Flash 5 and a Eclipse with module . I love the Eclipse and have had six planes stored in the system - no problems . I am far more careful than the average guy and I check my planes connections ( servo to surface ) plugs - everything after every outing . I have had to bury only one plane with thirty years of flying . Most crashes that I have investigated for fellow club members show wires routed close to hot metal - control surface connectors that do not use safety nuts to stop vibration or pieces of fuel line to keep them closed . So on- so on etc. I find it amazing how long many guys will fly with transmitter batteries that are 6 - 7 or even 10 years old ! Same guys change reciever batteries out every 3 - 5 years ???
With regard to JR Futaba and other brands I must say that I find it really strange that they are always avaliable for sale on RCU and Hitec is almost never found there . Logic says that you dont get rid of something that works well -- think about it . No company that sells "crap" can stay in business knowingly selling "crap" . I know as I have been the business of sales and marketing for 40 years . I can sell anyone "crap" once - but that is the end of that road . My current employer has been making a wide range of consumer products since 1920 - still growing .
If modelers would just be honest they would claim responsibility for their crashes when they are at fault - dam few are purely radio system failure . And that is the truth !

GREAT U HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS BUT THE SAYING IS U GET WHAT U PAY FOR AND HITEC A CHEAP .
YES I HAD A LOT OFF BAD LUCK MORE THAN MOST AND TO YOUR REMARK PILOT ERROR SHOVE THAT WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE I LOST 2 PLANES DUE TO FAULTY IC ON THE HITEC RECIEVER THEN BAUGHT THE MOST EXPENSIVE QPCM RECIEVER IT WAS FAULTY RANG WAS ONLY 5MT ALL CONFIRMED BY HITEC .
I WILL NOT USE A HITEC TX OR RX ON A GASSER AS BAD EXPERANCE I DONT FEEL LIKE LOOSING A $5000 PLANE JUST TO SAVE SOME MONEY .
TO THE COMPARISMENT HITEC BANDWITH IS SAY 1CM A JR OR FUTABA IS .5 CM SO A NARROW BANDWITH . THATS WHY THERE MORE STABLE .
I STARTED THIS POST AS I WAS SO ANGRY WITH HITEC TX AND RX NOT SERVOS NOW I BAUGHT A JR 9X I HAVE NOT HAD ONE GLITCH AT ALL. SO I DID A TEST I FLEW SAME PLANE (A CHEAP NITRO) ONCE WITH A HITEC GEAR AND ONE WITH JR .
WELL JR NOT ONE GLITCH AT ALL THEN STRAIGHT AFTER FLEW WITH HITEC I RECIEVED A GLITCH NOW ALL I CAN SAY JR IS LESS LIKLY TO GET A GLITCH TO HITEC .
NOW I DIDNT WANT A PRODUCT WAR BUT U GUYS ARE CREATING IT NOT ME .
THE RESON THERES MORE HITEC IS THE COST AND COST ALONE MAKING THEM AFFORDABLE TO THE STARTERS AND LOW BUDGET FLYERS . U CANT COMPARE THEM TO OTHER BRANDS IF U COULD THEY WOULD BE THE SAME PRICE AS THE OTHERS .
Old 08-05-2006, 03:36 AM
Coke

Using capitals in a post is the internet equivalent of shouting please hit your caps lock and turn down the volume and continue to enjoy the difference
Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
srm99

sorry bad habit try not to use caps
Old 08-05-2006, 03:58 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

It all boils down to you get what you pay for. You buy cheap you get cheap.

Bob
Old 08-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Coke

I have many friends in the hobby who swear they've bought expensive and been ripped off, who knows pay your money and take your choice at the end of the day, this type of thread always but always slides into a brand war and everyone thinks what they've got is best, human nature I suppose, but don't make good reading when you've heard it over and over again[] JMHO
Old 08-05-2006, 04:22 AM
srm99

ORIGINAL: Coke

I have many friends in the hobby who swear they've bought expensive and been ripped off, who knows pay your money and take your choice at the end of the day, this type of thread always but always slides into a brand war and everyone thinks what they've got is best, human nature I suppose, but don't make good reading when you've heard it over and over again[] JMHO

so very very true
i thaught this post was long gone

so all ya its over we could do this till the end off time i expressed my opinion as was very unhappy .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.