Brillelli 46cc

Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 PM
GTworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 46cc

ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2C

ljones
46 cc Poulan is correct.
Mark said he had another muffler which was on the heavy side and would have the lighter style soon. I asked him to leave my original (lighter) on but send the replacement muffler in the box. He didnt send the spare muffler but did fix my original which was bent. I flew the plane today and he did a good job, it ran fine. The muffler keeps getting loose though even with the safety wire. Just loose enough to make that engine make that ba da sound a loose muffler makes in flight. Thanks for trying to find the original instructions.
Also bisson mufflers in canada makes to different style mufflers for this particular engine a wrap around pitts and an upright ,there known for quiet mufflers .I have a wrap around on a da 50r and its quite nice.
I really like this engine .Would like to have another one set up the same way .
Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Here are the specs for the 46cc Brillelli.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pn36616.pdf (2.52 MB, 63 views)
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Great Job Larry!! Thanks for taking the time to get that done.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
wingswinger

HI Scott can you call me 318 843 4725 thanks i am Scotty
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

umm Brillelli is no longer. Scott went out of business awhile back.. last year some time.

Mark might be able to help you at brillellicustoms.com
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
blizzardflier

Ok so I know this is an super super old thread but im still rocking one of these engines. Im having trouble with it after about 2 years of owning it. Has one heard anything from scott or mark or anyone with the know how. Ive had gas planes before but have never encountered this problem. I  just need some technical help and advice. I think I have the problem narrowed down but want some advice and see what you other brillelli owners think
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

What's the problem? It's basically a 46cc chainsaw engine (I have two of these engines out of saws, need to finish the conversion on one for one of my planes), there are parts out there, but being a gas engine there's only a few things that can go wrong...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
blizzardflier

On landing on my last flight the tip of the prob hit the ground just enough to chip the prop and stop the engine. I decided today I was gonna do some maint on my planes since it was raining and cold. I went to crank this plane up and nothing I sat out for 3 hours trying to get this started. First I choked the engine and flipped till I got a pop which took for ever then unchoked and flipped to no avail i went back and forth with this with nothing. I removed spark plug numerous times. After installing the plug and flipping it would pop like it was choked and then nothing. After alot of flipping I would get the occational pop or or sputter but it wouldnt start. I noticed as i would flip the prop that when the prop rocked back and the magnet hit the hall sensor the engine would try to start backwards and send a push of air forward like a pusher prop. Ive tried 2 brand new plugs the champion dj7y and the comparable E3 plug. With the E3 plug the engine would kick back and loosen the prop. I took apart the carb checked the gaskets and for clogs and cleaned with carb cleaner. One of the gaskets is a little worn but should work fine as the engine is getting fuel as it comes out the carb and the muffler. The engine sparks but all I can get out of it is sputtering. After alot of spinning and failed attempts I let it set for a about 15min then went to work again the first spin it started right up but wasnt running like it was suppose to it sounded different and wasnt running like I knew it should it seemed to wanna idle fast and rough a low idle then it died.
Im not a gas engine mechanic but this kinda sounds like a timing issue is it possible that when the prop hit the ground and stopped that the part on the shaft that holds the magnet kept going causing it to slide alittle causing the timing to be off? Ive never taken that part off is it held on just by the two set screws that are in it?

Where can we still get parts for these like the piston ring and other things?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you checked the timing? It sounds like the prop hub slipped on the shaft and broke the key (if it uses one). I'm not sure exactly how Brillelli attached their prop hubs but I'd sure check this area of the engine.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your ignition timing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63368.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1837738  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 AM
T Erickson

The Hub threads on the shaft, quite possible that it slipped.
Parts are available (and cheap) on line for poulan 46 pro.
Still abusing mine after all these years.
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two of them here that I took on trade for other engine, They are good running engines and will last a long time just like most chain saw engines.

You have knocked the timing out when you had the prop strike.

The prop hub and flywheel that has the magnet are made in two peaces, They are two set screws in the fly wheel.

If you loosen them you can rotate the flywheel without the crank turning. Just set the crank at 28 degrees before top dead center and then rotate the flywheel counter clock wise until the ignition fire and lock it down there. You should be good to go then.

Milton
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
blizzardflier

Truckracer, w8ye, T Erickson and badazzmax Thanks for all the advice That vid and degree chart will help out alot. I thought it might have been just those two set screws but wasnt sure so I had to ask before I started taking things apart. You guys are awesome Ill print that degree wheel and get to work ill let you guys know how its going thanks again.

And if you know anybody looking to sell one im in the market for one. Thanks again
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two of them that have been test ran and run great.

One with RCexl ignition and the other one has a original CH ignition.

I think I have about 20 different brand and cc engines I have taken in trade or just bought and repaired. LOL

Milton
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: blizzardflier

Truckracer, w8ye, T Erickson and badazzmax Thanks for all the advice That vid and degree chart will help out alot. I thought it might have been just those two set screws but wasnt sure so I had to ask before I started taking things apart. You guys are awesome Ill print that degree wheel and get to work ill let you guys know how its going thanks again.
And if you know anybody looking to sell one im in the market for one. Thanks again
You are going to be the expert on these engines when you are done?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM
blizzardflier

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: blizzardflier

You are going to be the expert on these engines when you are done?

Hahaha we will see ive def learned alot from it in the time that ive had it and now having these timing issues Ill have this thing down pat in no time.

Badazzmax shot you a pm
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I have one of these in a 1/3 GP Pitts Special.
And I haven't flown it, bought it used last year.
The engine was overhauled, looks like new. Now I have a few gassers and
I start them with an electric starter, turn them over a few times with closed choke before.

This one however will only start when the choke is almost fully closed. Then I have to gradually open it while the engine warms up, or it dies.
After a minute it runs normal and has lots of power, idle and transition to full throttle is fine, so I think the needles are where they need to be.

It's not a big problem and I like this engine, just wondering if that is a common problem
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

I start them with an electric starter, turn them over a few times with closed choke before.

This one however will only start when the choke is almost fully closed. Then I have to gradually open it while the engine warms up, or it dies.
After a minute it runs normal and has lots of power, idle and transition to full throttle is fine, so I think the needles are where they need to be.

It's not a big problem and I like this engine, just wondering if that is a common problem
What mfgr carb do you have? The older versions came with a Zama. Even with the choke fully closed, mine just would not prime until I sealed the small hole in the butterfly with JB Weld. I have since replaced the carb with a Walbro which runs very well.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
blizzardflier

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

Ive never had that problem in the 2 years that ive had mine although mine does have the walbro carb

Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks, I do not know what carburetor it has, I have 3 planes and a helicopter in the works  the shop is packed and it will take me some time
to check this. It was supposed to be one of the last engines and when it looked like Walbro to me, but I could be wrong.

It has been sitting for some time before I bought it, so it might be gummed up and needs to be cleaned. I was going to work on the plane anyways. Hope to get done before the season starts...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
blizzardflier

well good luck with it if you want take a picture and post it im sure there are other guys on here that can help you out. Cleaning it and checking the gaskets would be a good first start.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM
ledsled
My Feedback: (1)

I'm pretty sure I have a walbro carb on my 46. The plane is out in the trailer in another location. The only problem I have is from day one, is it floods very easy. Scott told me to dry off the plug and give it a another try. Works every time. So mine pulls fuel very well.