Brillelli 46cc

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brillelli 46cc

Scott,

How is the little 25cc GT V2 coming along? I haven't head much about it. Are you using the Echo block on this engine also? If it's anything like the original 25cc GT or the 26cc GT then it should be a great running little engine.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:52 AM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, mine's running great without the v-stack, and I have run it both ways. I don't have a lot of experience with gas (the B46 is my first!), but I can tell no difference with and without it.

The only real preference I am developing is in the area of prop selection. I have run Zinger 22x8, TBM 22x8 and 21x8 and Xoar 21x8. They will all get the job done, but the Xoar 21x8 seems to do it better in all respects, smoother (balance), noise and thrust. After 1.5 gallons, max RPM is a bit over 7000 and idle is very reliable at 1620.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Walt and Sage

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Larry, mine's running great without the v-stack, and I have run it both ways. I don't have a lot of experience with gas (the B46 is my first!), but I can tell no difference with and without it.

The only real preference I am developing is in the area of prop selection. I have run Zinger 22x8, TBM 22x8 and 21x8 and Xoar 21x8. They will all get the job done, but the Xoar 21x8 seems to do it better in all respects, smoother (balance), noise and thrust. After 1.5 gallons, max RPM is a bit over 7000 and idle is very reliable at 1620.

Lary, as Bob says: Xoar 21x8 works best for me also ..
I also left the stack off on the Yak..
Cut a small slot in the cowl for the choke arm and use manually..
Also soldered the hole in the choke plate to aid in drawing fuel..
GREAT RUNNING MOTOR.... YOU WILL LOVE IT...

Walt...

[/color]
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM
cmoulder

Yep, the manual choke is the way to go... super simple. Here is a pic of mine, in my H9 Extra. The ball link is nice because it can be snapped off easily if you have to remove the cowl, then snaps back on just as easily. The little ply disc is CA'd to the inside of the cowl to provide support and keep vibration from chipping away at the FG cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44896.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	716057  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Scott, I'm going to call you tomorrow and get you to send me that ignition, if you have one. This one will work but not as neat so I think I'll spring for the one you use now. I can put this one back on the shelf for a spare.

As for props, I have a Bolly 20X8, 21X8 and a 22X8. I'm thinking 21X8 but I'll try all of them to see what works best. I also have a Bolly 22X10, that may be too much. I've never owned a Xoar but they look pretty much like Bolly from pictures I've seen. I'm running the Bolly 19X10 on the G38/Big Stik and it's good there but I don't think that's enough prop for this engine.

This is not news but I have learned about props, the one that turns the highest rpm is not necesarily the one that makes the plane fly fastest.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

You Are correct Larry. One prop does not fit all engines or airplanes. It takes some trial and error to find the best one for a particular engine/plane combo.

Just give me a call Larry. The New CH is far cheaper than the older one. It is a good unit. I have had none fail. Any CH unit is good. Yiou just can't beat the reliability.

I think the 20x8 or 21x8 will be best. The 22 will be OK after some time is on the engine.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:02 PM
ljones5000

Yeah, Scott. On the G38 I ran a Zinger 18X6 and turned 8200 or so but it's like cavitation on a boat. The Bolly 19X10 only turns about 6650 but it pulls the plane great, with the Zinger it would darn near fall out in a turn. With the Bolly, you can feel the pull and the control...not to mention vertical.

Thanks, I'll call you tomorrow about the ignition. I'm taking the grandsons (age 8 & 4) to the mountains next week camping so I probably won't get the Yak/Brillelli 46GT in the air until I get back.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
ljones5000

I finally got the 46GT mounted on the plane last night, too late to crank if I want to continue living in this neighborhood. The new ignition hasn’t had time to get here so I stuck the one I already had on and fired her up this morning. The engine cranked easily once I got some gas up to it but it was so rich it wouldn’t even 2 stroke at WOT. I leaned the top some and the low a tiny bit and it smoothed out pretty well except for mid range, that will take some more work. First run as always spent trying to adjust end travel, low and hi idle, etc. It is so hot here now that I finally quit to come inside but I’ll get back to later.

I ran a Bolly wood 20X8 and the top rpm was a steady 6840 and the idle was bouncing around 1400. I don’t know how that compares to anything but I thought it was right good. This is going to be a good engine, it really feels and sounds strong. Unfortunately, I won’t have a chance to fly for a week or more. I should have the new ignition by then and I’ll get it set up to fly.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Keep tweaking... you will get more than that out of a 20x8
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Sinergy,

I am having Scott send me a new Walbro 201 carb for the 46GT. He says they are a better carb than the Zama C1Q carb I have now. Have you tried one and if so where are your needle settings on the 46GT with the new Walbro 201 carb?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Sp33d

Im thinking about using this instead of a DA-50.
It should be close enough.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Scott Ellingson

Actually the DA has quite a bit more power than our 46. For an equal match our 50 is it. The 46 is great for 14lb or under planes if you want 3D preformance. 15lb and up would be better on the 50. It all depends on tha plane and the type of flying.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: jstanton

Sinergy,

I am having Scott send me a new Walbro 201 carb for the 46GT. He says they are a better carb than the Zama C1Q carb I have now. Have you tried one and if so where are your needle settings on the 46GT with the new Walbro 201 carb?

I have tried one... but I have no idea on needle settings... I just tweak and leave them there
Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: sinergy

I'm just shy of finishing up my first 2 gallons of gasoline and felt compelled to do my first needle adjustment today. The engine just sounded a little rich, seeming not to pull as well as it should at full throttle, and with the occasional pop. So I leaned out the top end by only 1/8th of a turn, and it made a huge difference, much more than I was used to experiencing with glow engines! Silly me, I forgot to tach it, but this puppy was screaming! I didn't touch the needles again, so I will get to check the RPM's next time, but I am convinced that the Xoar 21x8 is the prop for this engine/airplane (H9 Extra) combo.

Next time I fill the fuel container I think I'll go with 40:1 mix, because it is running really clean now and not overheating at all. Right after the run when I had just done the slight tweak to the High needle, I tapped the cylinder head with the back of my hand and it was not unduly hot, and it was still pulling great verticals at the end of the flight with no hint of sag.

Anyway, I continue to be more and more impressed with the B46, and it continues to pique the interest of a lot of guys who have been around gas engines a mighty long time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23115.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	717640  
Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Scott Ellingson

Dude, that is the best flying pic I have seen. You have to let me put that on my site. That and Sinergy's hover pics, both would be fit for a magizine. It is awsome !!!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:57 AM
ljones5000

I spent some time yesterday afternoon tweaking and leaning the hi needle as much as I felt I should right now. The engine is running better and better, turning over 7100rpm. A couple times bounced up to 7200 but not consistently. From the sound, I think I'll stick with what I have for the time being.

I leaned the low a wee bit but lost transition and so backed off. All in all, I'm tickled with the way the engine is running; transition is good now and idle is consistent at 1400rpm.

Scott told me the engine turned 7500 on a 20X8 Mez before he shipped it; I'm running a Bolly wood 20X8 and I doubt the Bolly will do what his Mez did. Later I may try a PT Model CF prop on it, I prefer them to the Mez.

Anyway....sweet engine.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 AM
cmoulder

Scott, of course you're welcome to use it, but there is one a couple of frames later that is a little better, which I will e-mail to you as a higher rez version so you can size it however you need to.

I took the pictures while Anthony Romano flew it. Anthony is working on FAI but flies the Masters schedule in competition, so I figured he could handle it!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: ljones5000

I spent some time yesterday afternoon tweaking and leaning the hi needle as much as I felt I should right now. The engine is running better and better, turning over 7100rpm. A couple times bounced up to 7200 but not consistently. From the sound, I think I'll stick with what I have for the time being.

I leaned the low a wee bit but lost transition and so backed off. All in all, I'm tickled with the way the engine is running; transition is good now and idle is consistent at 1400rpm.

Scott told me the engine turned 7500 on a 20X8 Mez before he shipped it; I'm running a Bolly wood 20X8 and I doubt the Bolly will do what his Mez did. Later I may try a PT Model CF prop on it, I prefer them to the Mez.

Anyway....sweet engine.

That's a little bit more respectable

Just warm her up.. get the tac out an lean the high-end till it drops in rpms.. then slowly richen it till you drop 200 rpms from peak. You dont want it too rich because that will cause damage long term - ie foul plug, stuck ring.

You are probably close now with that bolly.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 PM
mdegreve

Just installed the 46GT today in a great planes Pitts Special and the first flip after the choke was removed. With absolutely no tuning, I got already 7100 rpm on a Xoar 20x8. Idle was 1600rpm. I was really impressed by the quality of this engine. This is my second engine after a BCMA SPE 26 which still does not run properly after more than one year. I was just asking myself if Scott was testing the engine before shipping... The needle setting is so nice and the engine running "smooth as silk" as advertised that I hardly believe it's just coincidence.
Just missing probably is a rear dump muffler and a tuned pipe. Any info about that ?

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

anyone get the extreme flight yak and brilelli 46 combo yet ? looks like a sweet intro to the gasser realm ! is this the real deal or what?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: SigMan

anyone get the extreme flight yak and brilelli 46 combo yet ? looks like a sweet intro to the gasser realm ! is this the real deal or what?

Here is my review of that combo http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=881
Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Scott Ellingson

mdegreve, I do test run them all before they go out. Usually they need a little tweeking and I would suggest playing with it a little to be sure it is correct. It will be close, but a little fine tuning should be done to be sure. It sounds like your low is pretty good to get that idle, but your high may need a little tweeeking. I usually get higher on the 20x8. That is what I test run them on and I usuaslly get 7500+. your conditions may be different so your numbers may be too.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Scott Ellingson

Hello All. Here is a lesson I learned this morning allready the hard way. I recieved a 46 back that the guy was having all sorts of trouble with. It would not run right, started hard, and killed in the air. I ran it and it was perfect for a few minuts, then it started missing and running bad. I tried a new Hall figuring it was heat related, no change, I tried a new EI, no change, I tried a new carb, no change. I tore the engine down to check it out, all good. Then I tried the one thing I should have tried right away, a new plug. It ran perfect. The little things really do get us sometimes. A $1.50 part cost me 2 hours of work. Plugs never go bad, right ?!? Not with less than 1 hour of runtime anyway. Wrong. I think I will be trying plugs first from now on.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 AM
cmoulder

Dang, don't you hate it when that happens?![>:]

Did the old plug "look" bad? Come to think of it, what are the signs to look for in a bad plug?

AFter running mine a bit rich for 2 gallons with 32:1 I'm thinking of changing mine just for the heck of it, especially after that story!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:19 AM
ljones5000

Wow! You're right, one can never tell.

I took my 46GT powered plane to the field the other day and to save me, I couldn't get it to crank...not even a pop. I even squirted gas into the carb to make sure it got gas. So I assumed it was ignition, I brought it home and took the ignition off my FPE 3.2 (they are the same) and cranked it right up, first flip. Bad ignition, right? Wrong. I put the ignition from the 46 on the FPE, cranked right up. Go figure. Maybe it was flooded.

I went back to the field and again had a hard time cranking the 46GT, now with the ignition from the FPE. Finally got it going and the engine ran perfect, I flew five or six flights. I'll try again today but I think my problem has been that the angle of the choke to the little hole I put in the cowl is such that the choke was not getting fully closed. At least, I hope that's it, I have enlarged the hole enough to make sure.

If it is still hard to crank, I'll try a new plug. It certainly can't hurt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.