Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Strange response from RC Showcase, super 80

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Strange response from RC Showcase, super 80

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange response from RC Showcase, super 80

I have used the B&B type of smoke pump for years with excellent results utilizing several brands of engines, DAs, Brisons, etc. and all have come already tapped for pressure. I recently purchased a new ZDZ super 80, my first ZDZ, and asked RR Showcase where to tap the crankcase for pressure. Their response, "You absolutely CAN NOT modify the engine in any way! We DO NOT recommend a crankcase pressure tap. You must use a variable rate electric pump setup for smoke."
Get real. I understand their warranty concerns but that aside I am not going to just drill into it and leave metal filings etc. floating around inside. I have worked on many engines and done properly this is a simple modification. Having said that I have noticed that ZDZ engines seem to have different operating parameters compared to the main stream so to speak i.e. higher octane fuel requirement, 40:1 oil mix as opposed to somewhat lower percentages for other brands but I guess that just comes with the territory and the ones I have observed seem to run well.
If you have made this modification I would like to hear/see where you placed the tap.
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange response from RC Showcase, super 80

I don't know what the problem could be, a pressure tap anywhere in the case should be fine...the pulse is a dead end thing anyway, there is no transfer of pressure anywhere...The B&B smoke pump operates exactly line the pump in the carb, crankcase pulses act on a diaphragm in a closed circuit....
I have not modified a ZDZ, just many other engines...
Maybe they don't want you drilling a hole for that 1/4-28 pressure tap ?