Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 58 Lessons Learned

Old 08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Ih82crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 58 Lessons Learned

I bought a new Evolution 58 with the type 2 ignition. After 4 Days I found out that my ignition was bad. Hence the reason I tried to start it without success for 4 days!!! A friend also bought one and we were able to use his ignition and it started right up. I called Horizon and they said that as soon as they have one in stock they will replace it. (probably September 15th) [&o]

The type 2 ignition is a programmable ignition with an automatic choke. You dont have to use it, but it could be a cool feature if you decided to use it. I also found out that the ignition has a built in regulator so you can use a Li-ion or Li-Poly. What they don't tell you is that the ignition is 6.0-8.4 Volts. The kicker is that the ignition cuts off at 6.2 volts. Therefore you are almost forced to use a lithium battery. Not necessarily bad but definately in the nice to know category. Anyway It is a good powerful engine. It swings a 24-8 NX prop at 6700 RPM. You also don't have to keep the LED plugged in after it is programmed.

Just some lessons I learned and thought you might like to know.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Magne

Default RE: Evolution 58 Lessons Learned

the ignition is 6.0-8.4 Volts. The kicker is that the ignition cuts off at 6.2 volts. Therefore you are almost forced to use a lithium battery.
Why?
Surely it should be possible to use a NiMH battery?
But of course not a 4-cells pack.
Magne
Old 08-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Ih82crash

You can use a NIMH 6 volt pack but you are operating on the Cream of the battery charge. Once that is gone the ignition shuts off. They told me on the phone that they recommend at least a 6 cell pack(7.2 volts). You could do that also, but if you are the least concerned about weight you end up with a lithium battery. They also told me that the ignition came default to the short silencer, but I ended up having to program it to the short silencer mode. Not hard, but necessary.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all

If you are using the automatic choke verstion that is the type 3 ignition modual, look on the bottom of the modual it should say either ICU-L or S or P if it says L or S then it is capable of using 6-8.4volts if it says P then it is designed for 9 - 13 volts, also be aware that they have sent out a batch of prop drivers with the magnets in the wrong place this would prevent starting the magnets should be at 120deg from each other the incorrect ones are at 180deg's.

WARNING: MVVS have recalled a batch of 58's due to a fault in the crank, contact your supplier.

Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 07:53 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

Is any body actually using the auto choke? I set it up and it closes fully during the "programming" but does not fully close in the normal operation. I think I may go back to my receiver operated choke.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

How does the automatic choke work? Do you have to hook it up to a servo?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Ih82crash

The choke is programmed with the ignition and the servo to operate it plugs directly into the ignition. I am not using it but it is supposed to close when the ignition is turned on and then open when the engine fires. It says that the ignition is able to moniter the engine and open and close the chike as needed until the engine warms up.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
glofuel

I use 3-cell li-po 1500mA the MCU can use upto 13V

The auto choke closes every time the Ign is turned on and will open once the mcu has sensed that the prop has turned more than a couple of times hence the two magnets, which is fine, but I have found it will flood the engine easily if not started within a couple of flicks.

I've also found that some days it will start first flick from cold every time, but flood if hot.

The other day started first flick, flew model then 1/2hr later would not start at all

I will probably plug the servo into a spare RX channel and use my TX.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 AM
janch

Hi

I have video . I Can send you.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 PM
bubulak

Please,
could you send me your email, I'll send you actual manual. I don't know wich manual you obtain from your local distributor. Many modelers use this feature (auto choke) without some problems.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
bubulak

Hi,

I have a solution for you and everyone who use auto choke function. Please DON'T cloce fully a choke for the position of CLOSE. Let there a gap cca 1mm. The rest of the algorihm will be the same.
New version of the igniton has this function modificated.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 AM
BaldEagel

Another thing to remember when programming the new ignition modual ensure you have your throttle ATV at 100% both ways or the choke will not operate correctly.

Mike
Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 PM
rcrick
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone have the cannister muffler set- up that Horizon sells for this engine ? What does it weigh ? The header looks like it is made for the 116 twin or the 58 mounted at the 3 or 9 o' clock position. Are parts available some where to build a header for inverted installation?

THANKS,

Rick
Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like Horizon needs to have a talk with their suppliers or find some new ones that will make the effort to be a little considerate of the end user. When you're delivering products that are inconsistent in there operational methods or fail to work altogether, sooner or later those customers become someone elses.

You can design the best product ever to be brought before the public eye but if it fails to work it becomes instantly useless. Perhaps Horizon needs to start running each of these engines (using the supplied ignition unit) themselves and noting the corrrect voltages and programming for the customer prior to shipping it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Don't be too hard on Horizon, it only took them about 15 years to do a bad copy of my carb rotator blocks
There was a Japanese company making a 124cc twin using G62 parts way before anyone else had a big twin...I had one, bought it from someone who found it in Canada..The company was called Gen Engineering...They had one that hung on the pilot's back for a paraplane, and another on the end of a boom behind the Rogallo wing on the hang glider..Spring starter and a guard over the prop....The rep was somewhere in California and spoke Japanese..I didn't.....Nothing ever came of those....Same parts as the G62, carbs, coils, hub...Had a different rear mount, still have it here...The engine was being used by a former friend, it disappeared.....Isn't hindsight great ?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few similar moments in my history. Opportunities missed due to a lack of predicting the future..... Inventions spoken of openly to others thinking they would not steal from you, etc...
Old 09-27-2006, 08:59 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: rcrick

Anyone have the cannister muffler set- up that Horizon sells for this engine ? What does it weigh ? The header looks like it is made for the 116 twin or the 58 mounted at the 3 or 9 o' clock position. Are parts available some where to build a header for inverted installation?

THANKS,

Rick
Have a look at Pe Rivers site on MTW spares they have all sorts of bends and manifold plates as well as standard inverted wrap round to Centre with various drops.

Mike