Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50 Ignition Module problems

Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50 Ignition Module problems

I had the stainless covering on the plug wire wear thru on one side, were I can see the white nylon inside. Will this keep the plug from firing? And how do you test the ignition module to make sure it's still working? I can't get it to fire and I can't see a spark on the plug.
Any advice would be appreciated. My fault hear, not the engine.

zz
Old 09-17-2006, 10:03 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DA-50 Ignition Module problems

I would just send it to DA for repair. Those are very hard to repair and who'd want one that was less than 100% reliable anyway? It's not worth it.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 PM
zzw26n

Thanks Joe, That's what I plan on doing, in fact I was going to order a New one for a back up and have the older one repaired.

zz
Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

You should always use some kind of cable wrap to protect all of the wires from vibration on a gaser.

R/C Foolish
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 PM
bluemagic98

mine went off to DA for repair and or replacement seems the Ign. on the Da is very easily destroid when a stray piece of your shielding gets rubbed off. Mine failed to start one day on the 2nd flight of the day I had good spark one min and poor or no spark the next never more than a pop out of the engine. Da has told me that the shielding had rubbed on the fire wall or some place. I knew there was an issue with it when i flipped this over outside after Dark I could see the spark along the wire shielding however I failed to see where it rubbed. I dont know if there is a reason other than weight but if this was rubber coated wouldnt this prevent such Failures? or use a better insulation on the center electrode? On another note this and other electronic ignitions will fail if you flip the engine over with out the plug attached the high voltage will jump back into the modual and wipe out any electronic circuitry the 40,000 + volts will fry anything in its path.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
bluemagic98

im sure that this is the case with any ignition not just DA's
Old 09-18-2006, 12:01 PM
zzw26n

DA indicated to me today that the stainless braiding is the ground and the ignition will fail when you cut into it. [:@] New one on it's way and I'll have them look at the old one, it may not be repairable? [&o]

zz
Old 09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
JoeAirPort

I take no chances with my planes since I fly low and slow, I can't afford a flame out. So me, personally I would not use anything that was repaired unless it was by DA themselves.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:33 AM
amjflyer

Far more of a worry is that if you loose the shielding on the HT leads to the plugs your ignition is emitting a ton of EMF that will likely interfere with your RX and at the least reduce range considerably. So not worth the risk, composites, especially carbon, will cut through the DA shielding in 1 or 2 flights without some spiral wrap around it and clips and grommets where possible.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM
bluemagic98

why dont manufacturers of these ignitions coat these wires to prevent this type of failure? To me it seems pretty simple to slide a piece of heat shrink over the wire befor mounting the cap In fact they do put a small piece neer the cap DA puts a piece of red shrink over the cap end as well as the end neer the ignition. I fail to see why this wire isnt better protected.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13108.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	527418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99919.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	527419  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
amjflyer

same reason as always, manufacturing pressure to get unit costs down, and down, and down, i imagine.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM
JoeAirPort

Fiberglass will cut right through an aluminum muffler so not much can stop it from cutting. That shrink tubing wouldn't last against a fiberglass vibrating blade powered by a gasser. I use a rubber grommet on the cowling and run the cable through that. It's fine except that it only grips the cable over a small length and it kind of bends right there from the air flow blowing it back. Other than a slight bend there, it's not fraying (after 7-8 gallons). I need to get some of that plastic covering from an Auto parts store. That stuff is the best IMO. Also you can put some rubber trim on the edge of the cowling that would rub on it. So you got it covered on both sides.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
bluemagic98

I was refering to average wear as in any secure point they obviously see the need for the addition of a plastic wrap some manufacturers include the wrap some dont when was the last time you saw your plug wire on your lawn mower fail? or your motor boat or your weed wacker? install a rc ign on one of these type engines and let us know how long it will last. I guess i just see the ign wire as weak point in the system Im not an electronics expert but ive installed electronic ignitions an a large # of fork lifts that had points type ignitions in them and to this day I have never seen one fail and i personaly expect the same service life from my aircraft ignition. even the plastic wrap wont hold up to the vibrations for more than a year or 2 im on my 4th gal with the latest ignition and motor and i can see that the plastic wrap is showing signs of wear my last ignition i wrapped the wire in tape and foam then tied it down to the fire wall and any place it touched anything i wrapped and tied it in place. i did not see any place on the wire where the shielding failed but flipping it over in the dark i could see the spark jump within the shielding. Its my feeling that if this wire was fully incased in rubber or some other composit the vibration would not have deteriated the shielding and or the internal insulation to the point of failure for the life of the motor. Dont take this as a complaint but as a wish to improve the future of the hobby I knew when i purchased my motors that if i settled for the oldest designed motor in the pile I would most likly have a motor that would out last me. Being on the cutting edge of things is in my nature and I accept the losses i will most likly have along the way. As a self proclamed Beta tester I submit this as a bug report and hope it is taken as such. And in a show of my support i will happly donate my $100+ dollars for a new ignition Next month.