Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Servo Choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Servo Choices

For gassers, 40cc - 80cc - what servos do we prefer to use that gives best durability, accuracy, resolution, and reliability?
This is NOT a "brand" Poll....
Old 09-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Servo Choices

I have found that a full size (don't use a mini) accurate servo is important. So, a corless servo metal or nylon geared or digital corded or corless metal or nylon. HS 5645/5945 or Fut - 3050, 9001, jr- 811. all work great without breaking the bank.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:48 AM
3D Joy

As long as it is High speed and precise it is good for me. No need to be digital IMO.

Sooooooo coreless with nylon gears.

Personnaly I use the Futaba 9101 but there must be some other good choices (925 from Hitec or others). Just a thought, maybe some tail rotor servos????
Old 09-23-2006, 10:16 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

Here's my throttle servo, can't beat the speed at 0.08 seconds

Hitec 5925
Torque 4.8/6.0v : 103 / 128 oz.
Speed 4.8/6.0v : 0.10 / 0.08 second
Size : 1.6"x 0.8"x1.5"
Weight : 1.97 oz.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Tor

Voted for number 4, as I suppose you mean METAL gear on this one.

I use HS-925MG for these reasons:

Plenty of torque, coreless, metalgear, extremely fast (0.08 secs) and analoge. Supposedly analogue shoud be better coping with vibrations than digital, which I way I went with it - all other servos I use are digital.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tor

Voted for number 4, as I suppose you mean METAL gear on this one.
Your right. It did say coreless and nylon in that choice. That was already covered in choice #2. I edited the poll and changed choice #4 to coreless motor, metal gear.

Aerobob--if this is NOT what you wanted, then PM me and I'll change it to what you need.

See? Moderators are good for something besides just deleting stuff.

I voted for coreless motor with nylon gears. I use the JR 4721 on a few larger airplanes. But, I'm also using an analog digital with nylong gears (JR DS537) on a few other planes.

I don't think metal gears is necessary. You can certainly do that and it will work fine. But, I don't see it being necessary to have metal gears on your throttle servo. To me, metal gears are for situations where you might be experiencing major shock loads to the gear train--such as a huge elevator, or a very large rudder. Metal gears is for when your really pushing the servo to the max.

For the throttle, nylon is fine as long as it's precise and accurate. I'm not even looking for the fastest servo. Most servos will travel quicker than the engine can keep up anyway. As long as it comes back to the same spot when I idle down. I want a precision servo that will always bring the engine to a given speed while I have the stick at 1/2. And I want to to come back to idle the same everytime. That way, I'm not fumbling with a trim tab and trying to slow the motor down while I'm trying to land.

Just my opinion. I been wrong before.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leavig brands out of it, I try to match the speed and resolution of the flight servos at the throttle as well. I prefer to have the throttle providing the correct power inputs to the flight surface inputs at the same moment in time. I went with coreless nylon.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Yep - you're right. Good catch, thanks.
Keep the comments/votes coming, guys. This is useful (particularly for newbies who seem to ALWAYS want to know "What throttle servo do I need?" )
Old 09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Peter Burgess

I use a Fut S3001, works well for me.
Remember, motor and gears are not the parts to question, the important bit is the feed-back pot inside the servo, it determins the resolution of the servo and (sadly) none of the manufacturers give us any information on this vital part.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

I use S3151. I just like a digital servo over an analog for throttle use.

Bob
Old 09-24-2006, 03:44 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Peter Burgess

Remember, motor and gears are not the parts to question, the important bit is the feed-back pot inside the servo, it determins the resolution of the servo and (sadly) none of the manufacturers give us any information on this vital part.

-------------

It depends upon the size and type of model I am flying. However, at no time do I use really expensive servos for throttle.

For most .40 to .90 size models, I'll use whatever oddball servo I have lying around, as long as it is reliable and reasonably accurate. Too fast a servo can kill many engines, so, over the years, I've developed the habit of slow applications of throttle. That is how it is done in pattern. At least it was when I flew pattern.

A few years back, Tower was including a free housebrand servo with orders over a certain amount. I'm still working my way through those.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 PM
eugene

On my giant scale warbirds throttle, I use the 42oz Hobbico servos at $9.95 each... Never a failure in 18 yrs.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCPILET-how's them DS537's working out for you. I have five on the bench. I was thinking about swapping one in and taking out the futaba 148 on my ZDZ 120. I have never used the cheaper digitals. Just the 100 dollar ones. So I'm wondering if their will be a big gain in "precision."
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Carroll-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

JR DS811. Fast, reliable and low cost.
Carroll
Old 09-25-2006, 10:08 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Peter Burgess

The resolution of the servo is determined by a number of components in the servo. The pot mainly determines the linearity. Of the servos I have tested the linerity is very good,even with the cheapest servo.
Linearity is not much of an issue with our servos unless you plan to parallel two or three of them. Most of our linkages are highly nonlinear. In the case of the gas engine throttle, its response is nonlinear to the throttle position.
Manufacturer information would not be of much help.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I have a Hitec 5475 digital on my DA50,,, it is standard torque but alittle more precision than a standard nondigital, and cheap ,, 35.99
Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Kinda funny, you guys apparently spend more time pondering what servo to use for the throttle than I do. But last week I had a funny experience...my SIG Sundancer with FPE 3.2, took off and shortly thereafter couldn't get any throttle response. The servo was a Futaba S 148 (I think), whatever used to come with a Futaba radio.

Anyway, I'm flying the Sundancer, WOT and no response, full tank of gas. Ok, don't beat me up, no kill switch. So a friend who was with me and and I spent twenty something minutes, taking turns, flying for a while, back and forth, until it finally ran out of gas. I have to hand it to that FPE, it never missed a beat. When it finally ran out of gas, glided in and landed at my feet.

The servo was dead... as in DED, dead. I put in a new 148, good to go.

Larry
Old 09-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Carroll-RCU

JR DS811. Fast, reliable and low cost.
Carroll
Thats what I use also
Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

A guy I know has an HS55 on his 100cc ZDZ and i was concerned about the gears stripping from the vibration of the motor. anyone had any problem with nylon gears stripping as a result of vibration on 35%?
thx
Old 11-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No vote on this one. My servo choice for a throttle is always to the one that most closely matches the speed and precision of everything else that's used in the plane. Silly to have high speed digital servos on all the flight surfaces and then use a cheap, slow, and inaccurate analog servo on the throttle. I just love it when my throttle response lags behind the rest of the plane by half a second or so.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:29 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I have been using a Hitec 6965 on throttles for quite some time, super fast (.08) and works just awesome. Pricey at ~$84, but I have had great success with this one and like to use what has worked for me before.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

yes.... i agree ... scared the hell out of me.... I used a 6975 that i had around... very nice
Old 11-25-2006, 06:29 PM
cap10b

Hi All

Airtronics analog coreless nylon geared High Speed servo 94151 90 in/oz 6.0 volts .07 speed.

jds
Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ljones5000

Kinda funny, you guys apparently spend more time pondering what servo to use for the throttle than I do. But last week I had a funny experience...my SIG Sundancer with FPE 3.2, took off and shortly thereafter couldn't get any throttle response. The servo was a Futaba S 148 (I think), whatever used to come with a Futaba radio.

Anyway, I'm flying the Sundancer, WOT and no response, full tank of gas. Ok, don't beat me up, no kill switch. So a friend who was with me and and I spent twenty something minutes, taking turns, flying for a while, back and forth, until it finally ran out of gas. I have to hand it to that FPE, it never missed a beat. When it finally ran out of gas, glided in and landed at my feet.

The servo was dead... as in DED, dead. I put in a new 148, good to go.

Larry
Good thing you had more battery than fuel tank. I've seen a guy loose the throttle servo on the 4th flight of the day. RX batery was not fully charged because he'd already been flying earlier in the day. No way to kill the plane. He flew it around untill he lost the battery and then it crashed. [] Still had about 1/4 tank of fuel.

Lesson learned. Put just enough fuel in it for 15-17 minutes and thats all. Thats what timers are for. When it beeps, you land. Slap a 28oz tank in your 50cc gasser and you'll be flying for about an hour before it runs outta gas. [X(]
Old 11-25-2006, 07:15 PM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

2 weeks ago I had a nylon geared servo fail me so no more nylon gears on my gassers, a composite geared servo replaced it... I did have a smart fly cutoff which saved my plane, the failure happened on landing with some power on and plane was heading toward fence at end of my runway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.