Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 50 ignition test

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
teammsn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 ignition test

Is there a way to test the ignition on a da50 I had a dead stick for the first time and now it won't start. This motor ran perfect with about 3 gallons through it. Can i remove the plug and ground it to the motor while flipping the prop. I checked the battery and its fine i also replaced the plug with a new one. is there something else i can do before sending it in Thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 08:04 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: DA 50 ignition test

Yes, You can remove the plug and ground it to the motor and check for spark.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

If it is the ignition....all you would need to do is order one and install it yourself
Old 10-08-2006, 08:12 PM
teammsn

Thanks I will try that tommorrow I was afraid I was going to damage it.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

You dont have to ground the plug..its already grounded thru the ignition cap/wire..If you want to test it an easy way is to turn the light out and spin the prop..its easy to see with the lights out..also sometimes you can hear the spark as well..Also check the power pole connectors to make sure there is a good connection..that seems to be a problem for a lot of people.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:04 AM
srm99

DONT FORGET YOU MUST SPIN QUICK AS I SURE DA HAS A SAFTEY THING EASER IS GET A MAGNET AND MOVE IT FAST NEAR THE PICKUP SENSOR .
Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

No need for complicated tests. Just take the spark plug wire off, stick your finger in it and spin the engine rapidly. If the ignition is working you will know [sm=lol.gif]

Better yet, get rid of that DA unreliable dog of an engine and get a Zenoah. The self contained ignition system is 100 % reliable and never has any issues. The DA is a very unreliable engine and a pain in the arse to deal with compared to the Zenoahs.

JettPIlot
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 PM
srm99

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

No need for complicated tests. Just take the spark plug wire off, stick your finger in it and spin the engine rapidly. If the ignition is working you will know [sm=lol.gif]

Better yet, get rid of that DA unreliable dog of an engine and get a Zenoah. The self contained ignition system is 100 % reliable and never has any issues. The DA is a very unreliable engine and a pain in the arse to deal with compared to the Zenoahs.

JettPIlot

around around the merry go round
u just love to stir lol
Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: srm99

JettPIlot

u just love to stir lol

LOL you are so right..
Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: srm99

JettPIlot

u just love to stir lol

LOL you are so right..
Course the Zenoah weighs more then a Brick, and is about good for putt-putt power, but they ARE reliable. The DAs can be a PITA to get right, but once you do they run great. I had a DA100 that was a joy. I have a DA50 that's been somewhat tempermental, but finally starting to shape up.

Cheers!
Lee
Old 10-10-2006, 12:41 AM
anthonymio

Before you stick your tongue on the ignition wire to test it. . . check the power pole connector that connects the ignition to the battery. Vibration in many cases breaks off the wires in the connector. Inspect both red and black connector pairs for good contact before checking the ignition module.

Tony M.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 AM
srm99

ps if u gona test with tongue 1 question do u have a pace maker if so dont try it lol
Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM
shall36
My Feedback: (23)

You guys laugh about the tongue thing...I was working on a GTO I had, hooking up a dwell/tach meter. The engine was running at idle. One side of the meter goes to the negative terminal on the coil and the other side goes to ground. I had hooked up to the coil post and was trying to get the ground hooked up to the air cleaner stud. Well, I had the meter in one hand and the insulating boot on the ground wire kept me from getting it on the stud...SOoooooo, I used my teeth to pull the ground clip out from the insulating boot...Let's just say that was one heck of a jolt!