Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Byrons Originals Mustang 50 Engine

I have an old Byrons Originals Mustang 50 engine that I am trying to find parts for. I was told that the engine was based on or is a Fuji 46.5 cc engine. Does anyone have any source for parts for this engine?

Thanks,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Byrons Originals Mustang 50 Engine

What parts ?
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's actually a Tanaka Engine and there are some parts available for it as it's still used as a goped engine. I looked up the dealer awhile back and as I recall they're in Washington state.

RCIGN1:

I am looking for a replacement cylinder head/jug.

Brad59:

I will do a search for Tanaka. Thanks for the info.

Ed

Brad59:

I found Tanaka in WA state. Downloaded the 47 cc manual and it looks like what I have. Thanks for your help.

Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They should have those. It's the case, coil etc that's hard

Just thought I would update the thread with my latest info. I called Tanaka America located in Auburn WA. Their number is 1-888-482-6252. If you call ask for Randy in Tech Support. Randy has been with Tanaka for quite some time and he knew exactly what I was talking about. As he related the sotry to me, at the time Byron's was looking for an engine, Tanaka America would not sell complete engines to anyone who planned to use it in a device which leaves the ground. Apparently Byrons or someone else struck a deal with Fuji in Japan. As I understand the story, Tanaka (Japan) made the engines and sold them to Fuji (Japan) who in- turn sold them to Byrons or his supplier.

If you have one of the Byrons Mustang 50's you have the Tanaka TC 47 R engine, which displaces 46.5cc's. The difference between this engine and the regular TC 4700 is that the R version has had about .001" shaved vrom the cylinder head base to increase the compression and the Tanaka carb was replaced with a Walbro HDA unit. Brad59 is correct in that Tanaka America has everything except the front half of the case, the coil and the flywheel. They have everything else and can supply your needs. I bought a new jug and all of the gaskets I needed and should have the engine up and running by the weekend.

Thanks to Brad59 and RCIGN1 for your input.

Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to be of help. I have two of the Mustang 50's and love them. It's good to know where they came from. At one point I thought I needed a coil but fortunately I didn't since they don't have any. Keep them flying!