Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

WALBRO FUEL FILTER/CLUNK??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:52 AM
chrome350
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WALBRO FUEL FILTER/CLUNK??

Does anyone know the part # for the Walbro fuel filter/clunk ???

Thanks,
Larry
Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Flyer Freq

Default RE: WALBRO FUEL FILTER/CLUNK??

There are a few different sizes. I just walked into a True Value Hardware, that had a outdoor equipment repair facility. I told them I wanted a filtered clunk. They looked at me like I was from Mars. When I descriped what I wanted, they called it a weighted fuel filter for the tank. They set a few small packages in front of me, and I chose the one I wanted. As I recall, it was the smallest one they had. Even at that, I had to shave the opening of the tank to get it in; but I have heard of others having to do the same thing.

Sorry I don't have the part number! Go to this page, though, and you will see what you are looking for.

http://brillelli.com/brillelli_engines_003.htm

Andy
Old 11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Walbro Engine Management, aftermarker division part number 125-527.

Sorry I couldn't be a little more specific
Old 11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have heard that the felt will/can come off over time and get sucked in to the carb or inline filter.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Herb Brown

I have used the Walbro 125-527 filtered clunks over several years and have never seen the problem of getting felt strands into the carburetor. This filter is actually two filters in one housing. The felt is the primary filter and there is a small sintered filter between the felt and the fuel outlet of the clunk. The only problem that I have seen is that the small sintered disc at the fuel outlet can become partially clogged over a long period of time, creating a need to adjust the needle settings when that happens. Because of this periodic problem, I usually perforate the sintered filter with a few pinholes to allow easier fuel flow before I use the clunk for the first time. I have sometimes just discarded the sintered filter and relied on the felt to provide fuel filtering.
Another plus for the Walbro clunk is that it will fully remove every last drop of fuel from the tank.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Ed

I have heard the same as Geisty, about the felt fibers breaking off. " The only problem that I have seen is that the small sintered disc at the fuel outlet can become partially clogged over a long period of time " ? ? ? [] Clogged ? But isn't it the purpose of the sintered filter, to collect particles ? And doesn't punching holes in it negate it's filtering qualities ?

" can become partially clogged over a long period of time " [] Long period of time ? Filters are not forever, and are expected to be changed regularaly, just like the ones in our vehicles.

> Jim
Old 11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Diablo-RCU

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I have heard that the felt will/can come off over time and get sucked in to the carb or inline filter.
To this I say BS. Felt clunk filters are standard equipment on millions of weedwackers and other powered garden tools. The clunk filters are designed by companies like Walbro, who make the carburetors for many of these engines. If clunk filters caused carbs to clog over time, they simply would not be present on millions of OEM garden tools.

I believe the junk that people find in their carbs is caused by using a "T" in the fill line, not by the clunk filter. When filling, they are putting the dirt on the engine side of the filter.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

What is the benefit to using this type of filter over a regular filtered clunk?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had a felt filter shed any fibers or cause a problem, that is all I will use. Their big advantage is that they get the last drop of fuel out of the tank.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's very simple. If you filter your gasoline through an automotive type filter as it comes from your fuel jug then you don't need a clunk/filter or any other filter. You can use any kind of clunk that you want. Of course, this assumes that you start out with a clean tank. I have been doing this for many years with no problems and no build up of trash on the carb screen.

Ken
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Flyer Freq

I am new to gassers, but isn't it true that dirt can enter the tank through the vent line, thus the need for a filtered clunk???

Andy
Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Geistware

This is true but I put a filter on the vent line to prevent this.
ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq

I am new to gassers, but isn't it true that dirt can enter the tank through the vent line, thus the need for a filtered clunk???

Andy
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Flyer Freq

Do you have a recommended filter for this???

Thanks!

Andy
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Geistware

Diablo,
This may be true, I don't know. I am only conveying what I have heard.
What I will say is that the abuse that a tank filter in an RC airplane gets vs the typical chain saw is different.
A chain saw will not experience 5 G's while a RC plane will. This force can slam the clunk against the side of the tank.
I don't know, I am not for or against using them.
I use a weighted clunk with a screen filter in it.
I use a filter on the fuel jug, inline and clunk filter.
I then also use a filter before the carburetor and on the vent line.

Is this overkill, YES.
Do I have trash in my carburetor, NO.

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

ORIGINAL: Geistware

To this I say BS. Felt clunk filters are standard equipment on millions of weedwackers and other powered garden tools. The clunk filters are designed by companies like Walbro, who make the carburetors for many of these engines. If clunk filters caused carbs to clog over time, they simply would not be present on millions of OEM garden tools.

I believe the junk that people find in their carbs is caused by using a !QUOT!T!QUOT! in the fill line, not by the clunk filter. When filling, they are putting the dirt on the engine side of the filter.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq

Andy
I guess it is remotely possible. I say remotely possible because your vent line gets flushed every time you fill your tank. You can improve the odds of dirt not coming in through the vent line by making the vent line longer and coiling up the excess in the fuselage.

If you are not using a 3 pipe (fill, overflow(vent), and supply line to the engine) system then you will get no benefit from using a filter clunk.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Josey,

Most of the standard filters used on our engines are nothing more than a fine mesh screen. Usuall that mesh is larger in size than the screen inside the carbs. Needless to say, the filters that are generally used pass a lot of crud along, regardless of the number of filters used. The felt type Walbro filter does an excellent job of keeping the fuel clean, and it's one of the reasons we use them on the stuff many fly for a living.

Antoher factor is that most of the pick up clunks being used a quite a bit on the small side, permitting the fule line to exit the fuel supply frequently. The Walbro clunk is heavier, and remains in the fuel better.

The last reason, and nowhere near the least important, is that a felt filtered clunk picks up every last drop of fuel that put into the tank. A standard cluk won't and can't, do that. There will always be fuel left in the tank when you run out of gas with a standard clunk, but rarely will there be a drop left when you run out of gas with the felt type. The felt acts like a sponge.

As in any other type, they should be replaced when they become dirty or clogged. You cannot clean them. In hundreds of engine running hours I have not experienced any fiber isses of serous note in the carbs. If you have a regular maintennance program with your engines you will be cleaning the carb screens and will catch anything the gets through long before it can become a problem.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I use the felt clunks also. Defacto standard on my gassers.

Someone mentioned crap getting into the "fill T" and getting crud into the carb.

That HAS happened to me, with filtered pump, and being very careful.

Cottonwood fuzzies , yup, cottonwood fuzzies have plugged my carb screen. they get on the filler probe, collapse, then get pushed in the T and sucked into the carb. At least that is my theory.

The felt clunks are the way to go, and now to stop the fuzzies or anything else that gets into the T I use a H9 gas filter to the carb.........redundancy .

Now, if I could only keep the line from geting hard......oops...that is another thread.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Any good online sources ?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page5.htm

call Dick, I am sure you can get the clunks seperately.