Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

THOR 45 CDI at Hobby People Comments

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

THOR 45 CDI at Hobby People Comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
obo
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THOR 45 CDI at Hobby People Comments

Well I started my thor for the first time & had all the trouble everybody is talking about. I put the RDJ8J plug in & still it would drive the radio nuts plus It missed & never keep the carb adj.I changed freq as well & still no help. I was advised to buy the new Ign module & muffler for a additional $200 & it would be a great motor. Now 299 $ for the motor plus 200 $ more for module & muffler don't think so. For 500 $ I took mine back & traded up for a different motor & just paid the differents.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: obo

Well I started my thor for the first time & had all the trouble everybody is talking about. I put the RDJ8J plug in & still it would drive the radio nuts plus It missed & never keep the carb adj.I changed freq as well & still no help. I was advised to buy the new Ign module & muffler for a additional $200 & it would be a great motor. Now 299 $ for the motor plus 200 $ more for module & muffler don't think so. For 500 $ I took mine back & traded up for a different motor & just paid the differents.

Nice looking engines, but by the time you have spent money on them to get them just right, you might as well go out and buy a more expensive one with hassle free life.

I am after another large Gas engine, it is not going to be Thor. Although it runs nicely now, I simply can't be bothered with the hassle.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
fishdeth
My Feedback: (2)

I maidened The Talon today with the Thor 45 swinging a 20x8 prop and it didn't seem to have the power I was expecting. Gonna do some more carb adjusting and maybe an 18x8 prop to see if she will spool up a little more, only tached at 6100 - 6200.
Plane flew nice, just needed more oomph !

Jim

Here is a short video of the maiden.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRWAt3QgOI
Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: fishdeth

I maidened The Talon today with the Thor 45 swinging a 20x8 prop and it didn't seem to have the power I was expecting. Gonna do some more carb adjusting and maybe an 18x8 prop to see if she will spool up a little more, only tached at 6100 - 6200.
Plane flew nice, just needed more oomph !

Jim

Here is a short video of the maiden.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRWAt3QgOI

I saw the video your engine sounds too rich. I had the same and turned the high speed needle to lean (the instruction says 5 degrees at a time but ithink mine was around 10 to 12 degrees clockwise)and did the same to low speed and re-adusted the idle on the TX and it flies great with plenty power.

I am flying a Black Horse CAP 232 swinging a 20 x 10 prop and mine weighs over 16 lbs and certainly seems to have a better performance than the video I just saw.

Alan
Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 AM
mattbogy

Cool Video!! Bottom line is 22x8 @ 6550 once the engine broken in. Hovers a 15 lb plane at half stick. Photo's on page 7 of this thread.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
fishdeth

Well, I have a couple things I found and I'm not sure if it is just one or a combination of all that are causing the erratic running of the engine.
1st suspect is that Chinese spark plug.
2nd, that plug was loose upon post flight inspection. (The grounding wire is attached under the plug)
3rd, is the vent hole on the diaphram plate of the carb. (I am gonna solder the brass tube over the hole and run a piece of fuel line back away from all the turbulent air)
4th is the ignition timing. (The book calls for 12 - 14 degrees BTDC and I find mine to be at 21 degrees)

Any input guys ?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88532.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	724275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53336.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	724276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17006.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	724277  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 AM
focusjohn55

I had proplems also, i opend the carb and found the little mesh filter inside was partly
coverd with dirt etc.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 AM
mattbogy

With the static ignition, a smaller prop only made it worse. I did retard the timing a couple of degrees but didn't have to move the holes. I know it sounds crazy but you should try a bigger prop 22 x 8. I did have to spend some serious time setting the needles properly with the static ignition. The other option is to spend the money on a good ignition.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

www.ch-ignitions.com
The auto advance ignition is $79.95 we will through in a plug for free. This will alow you to set the timing to 28 deg and have more power and a better idle.
Call and tell them TKG said so.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
fishdeth

Saturday after another lackluster flight of my new plane powered by the Thor 45 a few guys and myself were talking about the muffler on the THOR ?
I was thinking that the exhaust tubes were too small in diameter and restricting the power output. I was comparing them to my BME 50cc muffler and another guys DA 50cc muffler.
I recall someone on this thread saying that they got much better performance from the Pitts style muffler over the stock one and I can see why if his was like mine, but it appears they made an improvement to the "stock" muffler since mine was manufactured and boxed up.
Well, I was just on Western Hobbies website and saw a pic of the "standard" muffler and the tubes look to be TWICE the size of mine ???

The openings of my tubes is just about 3/8".
The ones on the WH muffler look th be between 5/8" - 3/4".

I really think this is choking down my power, but I hate to spend $61.00 on a new STOCK muffler !
Any Ideas ?

Jim

Name:	Lj23594.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	733665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32878.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	733666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16441.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	733667  
Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM
mattbogy

The improvement from the pitts style muffler was referring to the Slimline muffler from Western Hobbies. This muffler is actually tuned to this engine and properly baffled. The openings you have on the stock muffler are not too small, but if you look at where the canister are or expansion chamber should be, you'll see that there is none with the stock muffler. There is not a good path for the exhaust to flow. Don't waste your money on another stock muffler.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The area of the outlet tubes should at minimum equal the area of the exhaust port.

A little bigger would be better. I'm of the opinion that a quality 22-8 prop on that engine is too much and will cause a lot of roblems later in over heating. You may get more pull out of the larger prop but the low rpm levels noted to obtain that thrust says the engine will be running hot.

A loose plug will create a lot of RFI. You might consider moving the ground strap to a cylinder fin to permit better plug seating. Just make sure the piston will not make contact with the plug if the ground has been relocated.

The CH ignition is an excellent option.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

no you have to get an auto advance ignition the stock is set static which will allow you to start it by hand and run somewhat kind of like a magneto only the magneto does'nt like to hand start it's only a happy medium ignition? never could get mine to take full throttle no matter what i did till i changed the ignition out real simple process to only $97.00 from western hobbies .com
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 PM
mwhar760

dude if you can spend the money the $97.00 i promise you won't be dissapointed in the new set up!! shoot send me your engine and i'll set it up for free!!! and send it back to you!!! if it don't run like i say i'll reimburse you the 97 dollars you can bank on that!!!!what do you have to loose???? the stock ignition sucks period!!!!! your muffler on a gas engine should have enough volume to create a slight back pressure or be twice the exit size of what the intake size is in volume on certain engines requires some back pressure to get it up on the power band like the 2 stroke motorcycle engines but it depends on what your looking for??? look at the mufflers b&b makes for the old style gassers then look at what k&s,mtm,ect granted a lot of it depends on port timing you can actually make a g-62 turn 11,000 rpms with the right pipe canister/pipe setup easy swinging the same recommended prop just depends what you want?? let me know
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
mwhar760

i totally agree the engine will not turn a 22-8 the way it is stock. needs a 20/21 prop unless you open up the exaust. a 20x8 mejzlick on mine with a western hobbies pitts muffler made at slimline will tach 8,000 with ignition set at 31 degrees btdc.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
mwhar760

if you need a stock muffler i'll send you mine free i have never run a stock muffler unless it was a 4 stroke there is a reason!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
electron

I have about 5 gallons through my thor 45 now and it is still running strong.. MODS I have made none.. I am still running the stock muffler stock Ing and I get 7600 out of a 21x8 BME wood prop.. This engine rocks.. The only tuning I have done is on the high speed needle and thats only after break in.. I think because of my DX7 radio is why i have never have had any issues with this engine.

Electron
Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 AM
driesbabe

Guys, you can ***** and moan about the stock ignition all you want, the fact is that the module is actually not bad. I have tested 5 of these modules, to a frequency of 230hz, (equals about 11000 RPM) and they all did not miss a beat, after that it starts to get erratic. The problem with the stock ignition is the pickup......It's a Honeywell pick up, of good quality. The problem is that it is not lying down like it is supposed to; they have it standing at an angle of 90 degrees. Now, this should work just fine, BUT the sensor is soldered badly and not properly mounted.
Out the 5 I have tested, 3 worked well, or as well as it could, two of the ones I tested had cables not even attached to the sensor, but lying in the general area causing intermitted misfiring and backfiring.
Bottom line is, some might get a good one, and some might not....now the option is to replace the entire Ignition for US$ 97.00 or to only replace the pickup. The choice is yours.
The Engine is of a good quality, and if all the little bugs are sorted, they run like steam trains with power close to DA50 (stock)

How do I know all this?? I have extensively worked on and with these engines as the picture will show (the home made 90cc will turn a 26X8 Menz S at 7200RPM after a single carb mod.)

Oh, if you are fed up with paying US$ 97.00 for a RCexel ignition, PM me as I can deliver at a much cheaper price.
Regards
Dries.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 AM
driesbabe

here
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 AM
driesbabe

here you go.......hopefully

Name:	Jh15116.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	734062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71755.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	734063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88734.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	734064  
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: driesbabe

Guys, you can ***** and moan about the stock ignition all you want, the fact is that the module is actually not bad. I have tested 5 of these modules, to a frequency of 230hz, (equals about 11000 RPM) and they all did not miss a beat, after that it starts to get erratic. The problem with the stock ignition is the pickup......It's a Honeywell pick up, of good quality. The problem is that it is not lying down like it is supposed to; they have it standing at an angle of 90 degrees. Now, this should work just fine, BUT the sensor is soldered badly and not properly mounted.
Out the 5 I have tested, 3 worked well, or as well as it could, two of the ones I tested had cables not even attached to the sensor, but lying in the general area causing intermitted misfiring and backfiring.
Bottom line is, some might get a good one, and some might not....now the option is to replace the entire Ignition for US$ 97.00 or to only replace the pickup. The choice is yours.
The Engine is of a good quality, and if all the little bugs are sorted, they run like steam trains with power close to DA50 (stock)

How do I know all this?? I have extensively worked on and with these engines as the picture will show (the home made 90cc will turn a 26X8 Menz S at 7200RPM after a single carb mod.)

Oh, if you are fed up with paying US$ 97.00 for a RCexel ignition, PM me as I can deliver at a much cheaper price.
Regards
Dries.
Very interesting, the fact that someone is selling goods which is faulty, regardless of what minor problem it may have and how little money or effort can solve that problem, is neither good for the consumer or supplier, we ought to get that rectified under warranty.

I don't know about US but here in UK mechanical or electrical items have one year manufacturer guarantee. If we don't send back the offending item, the people making them will think all is well and keep on producing a donkey's hind leg.

I think the supplier should be approached in all cases even if you buy a replacement module, I had to and I also complained to Ripmax here in UK.

I am still waiting on answer, but I noticed that new engines appearing in shops have a different module. So maybe they were aware of it but decided keep their mouth shut unless someone complained.

Alan
Old 08-02-2007, 05:02 AM
driesbabe

Alan,
The bottom line I think is that no one is sure about hat is wrong with the Engine when it starts to make trouble. As I have stated, 3 of 5 worked well, so there might be confusion about what is actually wrong with the product.
I think these issues are supposed to be attended to by the Distributor, as you guys have the Law that protects you. As I am stuck in Africa, and we have no law that protects us, we tend to play and fiddle with a thing until it works. A bit of common knowledge and allot of help from friends and colleagues and you will eventually find the problems and hopefully be able to sort them out.

I think that the Thor/Crrcpro engine has a bad name, not because it is a bad product, but it was made bad by the people that distribute and sell it, because of lack of service. As we all know, it takes very little to destroy a product, but a hell of a lot to get the Name back on track. When people see me flying my Katana with the Crccpro engine, everyone is amazed at how well it performs, but everyone immediately asks, " is that the engine you had trouble with"
Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 AM
mitchmcf

I would love to know how you get rpm like that I can only get 6800 with a 20x8 JXF.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: driesbabe

Alan,
The bottom line I think is that no one is sure about hat is wrong with the Engine when it starts to make trouble. As I have stated, 3 of 5 worked well, so there might be confusion about what is actually wrong with the product.
I think these issues are supposed to be attended to by the Distributor, as you guys have the Law that protects you. As I am stuck in Africa, and we have no law that protects us, we tend to play and fiddle with a thing until it works. A bit of common knowledge and allot of help from friends and colleagues and you will eventually find the problems and hopefully be able to sort them out.

I think that the Thor/Crrcpro engine has a bad name, not because it is a bad product, but it was made bad by the people that distribute and sell it, because of lack of service. As we all know, it takes very little to destroy a product, but a hell of a lot to get the Name back on track. When people see me flying my Katana with the Crccpro engine, everyone is amazed at how well it performs, but everyone immediately asks, " is that the engine you had trouble with"

I agree with you, I lived in East Africa for a while and you are right, no protection there. You are also right when you say that if the product is not right people will make sure they tell at least another 100 people, but if the product is good they only mention it to 50 people.

Take this forum as an example, if there is something that is not right, you will read pages and pages of it.

Thank you for your input.

Alan
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 AM
driesbabe

Mitchmfc,
I fly the same prop as you and get 7300RPM static.= about 18,5 lbs of thrust at 6800 feet.

How much time has your engine got on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.