Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

THOR 45 CDI at Hobby People Comments

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

THOR 45 CDI at Hobby People Comments

Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 AM
SlabBro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THOR 45 CDI at Hobby People Comments

And thanks for the info. Can't wait till iget to order the gene saucy. Gettin the spectrum 7 along with it. was looking at the Super tiger 3250 for this plane.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: cubmaster126

Did you mean GMS engines? i run 2 and both have run flawless in my venus and 8 year olds trainer planes. Guess i've been lucky with the "off" engines. Might just have to wee how my luck is with one of these thors then

No I do not mean GMS The engine in question is MDS made in Russia, you guys in US probably haven't had the misfortunes of getting one sold to you.

The Russian MDS is a bit like their battle tanks, mass produced, cheap and nasty but plenty. LOL
Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 AM
SlabBro

Now i'm on the same page. Have experiences with products like that and the trash can is the best place for them, or an unsuspecting buyer who doesn't really know what they are buying . Like me and the thor motor. got the cash to go 1/4 scale once this year and don't want to waste my funds on a junk russian tank motor (lol). I would rather spend less on a 2 stroker and have a good flyer than a super flyer part of the time. Same with my cowls, rather cut them to fit the motor how it runs best mounted than save a cowl for fair running motor.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: cubmaster126

Now i'm on the same page. Have experiences with products like that and the trash can is the best place for them, or an unsuspecting buyer who doesn't really know what they are buying . Like me and the thor motor. got the cash to go 1/4 scale once this year and don't want to waste my funds on a junk russian tank motor (lol). I would rather spend less on a 2 stroker and have a good flyer than a super flyer part of the time. Same with my cowls, rather cut them to fit the motor how it runs best mounted than save a cowl for fair running motor.

It is true that you get what you pay for, apart from 1/4 scale (scale models) I have flown and built as big 1/3 Scale cub with a massive 11ft wing span, powered by the old Quadra 50cc the model I enjoyed for many years and eventually sold it.

As for nitro four stroke goes I generally only use OS Max, however a new kid in the block is the RCV engine with geared drive made in England, although very expensive, couple of guys have got it and it's fantastic. The engine is started using Helicopter type hex shaft attached to the starter and there are two types conventional looking and the other designed to be fully enclosed in a cowl with no cylinder heads to be seen anywhere.

Here is the link if you want to check it out [link=http://www.rcvengines.com]www.rcvengines.com[/link]
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Adrian14mz

Hi again.

Not happy with the Ripmax Thor 45 CDi. This is a new engine and why should I have to break it down and put two gaskets on it so it can run right.. They can have it back and I am going for the DA 50. I already have a DA 100 on the front of my GP 1/3 CAP 580. So be it.

AMS.
Dublin,
Ireland.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had MDS engines here for a while.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: Adrian 14.mz

Hi again.

Not happy with the Ripmax Thor 45 CDi. This is a new engine and why should I have to break it down and put two gaskets on it so it can run right.. They can have it back and I am going for the DA 50. I already have a DA 100 on the front of my GP 1/3 CAP 580. So be it.

AMS.
Dublin,
Ireland.
I agree why should anyone have to modify a new engine, a responsible company would keep a record of these and re-call them, I don't think I even want to sell mine on to another unsuspecting person, I will simply trash it.

I have ordered a Zenoah 62 to replace it, never again am I going to be using cheap engines or any other stuff sold by RIPMAX. Did you know they couldn't even get me the Pitts type muffler although there is clearly a part number for it, and yet I can order it from US.

That company has gone down hill in the last 5 years.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 AM
SlabBro

Ive been reading this thread in full and have come to a decision. I WILL NOT purchase the 45 . I'm stickin with the 2strokers for now. I'm a very mechanically inclined person and i don't want to spend my time fixing an engine that should run fromthe get go. they may have a good idea or what not but the product just is up to my standards. Super tiger and Thunder tiger have always gave me a smile on the performance of these engines and i must say, sticking with the guns on this one. Super tiger 3250 it is. Thanks for the insights i've read ande the points you've all made.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
hics3968

I had same issue with my Thor 45. Changed to DL50 Available from DLUSA.Net for $390.00 comes all accessories.
Installed on 25% Patty and run's awesome.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM
meinekeman

can you mount a thor 45cc motor upside down
Old 06-27-2014, 08:31 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

Yes
Old 06-28-2014, 01:05 AM
meinekeman

thanks the motor will fire but wont run
Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 AM
meinekeman

my motor will fire but wont run
Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 AM
meinekeman

my thor 45cc has a miss at full throttle http://youtu.be/L9vmN1FvtdE in video you can hear how it runs
Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 AM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmh
THOR- --reminds me of the Thor, Genie , ect- wretched engines from the late 40's. Slag engines --
No thanks --
LOL,Yes the name Thor strikes terror to my heart.I had one when I was a kid. Along time ago 80 now.I nearly wore out my bicycle spinning on the rear tire with flywheel on the thor.Never run for over a few pops.
BCCHI AMA 2500