Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Taurus 52 experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:06 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Taurus 52 experiences

So how much is this wonderful piece of machinery?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to check my receipt.I think it was around 650 - 670$ including a good muffler and CH ignition.
Better contact Taurus directly,as prices may have changed.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
p-80

and worth every penny imo its a fantastic engine
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
nitro wing

I knew it was going to be more than some others,but within reason.
If you want cheap,there are many motors flooding the market.
But I wanted a good performance engine,the first time,something that will deliver season after season.
Something that can compliment an Airshow Aircraft and pull through high risk moves without hesitation.
Later in the year I will be able to verify all the good talk I heard
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

I have a cheap DL-50 on one plane and it works well. It will probably stay with the plane when I sell it next year. It is somewhat disposable.

I have a Taurus 52 in another plane and it is very easy to use, responsive, POWERFUL, and smooth. It is so durable I expect to give it to my kids in a few decades. I can't say whether the DL-50 will still be around at that time.

In short, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was $675 in November. That included the C&H ignition and a nice muffler. So far I have been very pleased with mine. It has less vibration than my Quadra gas engines and has more power than my FPE gas engines. Mine idles rock solid at 1400 rpm and transitions very smoothly, with no mid-range burble. I am using it in a Top Flight P51 Mustang with a Bolly wood 21x10 prop. One final note is that Bill at Taurus is very available and friendly. I haven't had a need for service, but am confident that he would take care of me if I ever did.

-Ed B.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 AM
nitro wing

After a small electrical problem (hall sensor) mine is up and flying my overweight 80 inch Extra.It's too much power for this airframe,but am looking into a lighter and larger Extra in the future.
It starts easy,idles low and pulls hard. I think my vertical speed is similar to my level speed
Here is a quick clip of the Taurus 52 on its third tank of fuel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf8UHU_htgE
Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice video! I am glad you solved the problem. One would think that hall sensors would not be the source of many problems, but the good news is that the fix was easy!

What prop are you running?

-Ed B.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
nitro wing

Thanks.
It was the only prop available at the time,which is a Zinger Pro 22x8.Works fine for now.
Had a MSC recomended and will have one of them to try soon.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
tkg

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitro wing

.It's too much power for this airframe,b
[X(]SACRILEGE.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
nitro wing

Ok,I meant,overall the Extra is too small and has not enough wing for my style flying.
The power is certainly fun
The colour sheme is actually loosely based on a British Air Race Extra 300.
I still have some graphics to go on it.This Extra will serve as an Imac or scale aerobat for the next while.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93309.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	934288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23660.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	934289  
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For IMAC you might want to try an NX 22-8. Better for the type of flying over the MSC. The MSC is more of a 3d prop and prolly too loud for most IMAC locations.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
nitro wing

Pat
I dont really fly Imac,just pretend too [)]
My club is small,most guys are sport .60 size fliers.I am one of the few that flies high performance stuff or tries to 3D.
So most of my flying is Freestyle I guess, a bunch of wacky 3D and some sort of normal flying.
I dont really have anyone to look up to,Max Chen from BME used to fly at my field,and I used to drool over his planes and flying style,but he moved away.
So now I watch alot of online vids,both fullscale and the hardcore 3D guys and try to copy what I like best.
I've learned alot from RCU over the years,it really helped me focus and get some direction of what I should fly and what suits my style.
I do prefer super light loaded aerobats now,the ones that float around and you can bring them in close without having them fall to the runway because its stalled the wing without warning.
I mostly fly my Funtana X100,it just has no bad habits and I can fly it around in post stall all day.
So now I am looking for a 50cc ARF that can fly similar to that,but maybe fly a little cleaner at cruise speed.

For months its been a toss up between the Extreme Flight Extra or the Wildhare Sukhoi SU26,I've had a close look at the 3DHS Katana too.The new Aeroworks Extra is nice,but I think it will be winter before it has undergone thorough testing by several owners.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Tired Old Man

If I was to be looking at a Katan, I'd be really hoping Ace Hobby was going to release one of the SD models that they took over. I was talking to them in Toledo and I vaguely recall something about that. It's 100cc big brother can't be beat by anything out there of the same type. Mid May if I recall correctly. I was told they had corrected the old fit problems SD had by finally shipping the right parts to the right planes.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
nitro wing

Well,I have a strong powerplant now and all the good radio gear,switches etc after saving up for so long,so a new airframe will easily be outfitted in a few short evenings.
But to get a quality 50cc here,will likely run me about 900-1000$ after shipping and taxes.So it has to be the right one.
I will probably try one of the mentioned airframes,that have build threads and lots of airtime so far.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Tired Old Man

I can understand that. For some reason things going from north/south and vice versa get blown out of proportion price wise, and shipping takes longer than round trip to Europe.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
nitro wing

The Taurus is now in a 30% BME Edge 540.
It has been flawless in this airframe,easy start,smooth,and lots of power,less than a gallon thru it.
I had a few minor hickups in the beginning,but now she is showing off well,and guys at the field are inquiring.
I really like how the motor is quiet in midrange,very low decibals with stock muffler,and good midrange,without the burbling and missing,so common with 50cc gassers.
I know its early to make any asessments,but I am cofident that from here it will be pure joy and performance.
Cant wait to get a real prop and make a new video [8D]
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM
altavillan

http://www.evflyers.org/e107_images/...INE-THRUST.pdf ,This chart was produced and posted on RCU comparing engines but if you study it a bit you can see the Zinger Pro compares favorably to and better than some well known props. I did watch Pat try out a bunch of props he brought back from Toledo. His T52 really came to life on the NX. I would expect you are getting very similar performance with the Zinger.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Tired Old Man

I rather doubt that. There hasn't been an unmofdified Zinger I've tried that performed like an NX, Menz, Mejzlik, Fuchs, Air Models, 3W, or MSC . Hack a Zinger up as you do and you can get good performance but the noise level is horrible.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
nitro wing

Well the ZingerPro,pulls OK,but it wont until you get into midrange and beyond,which seems to be exactly midstick.
I have not noticed the strong powercurve associated with gassers at the moment.The motor and prop pull very linear.I would actualy like a bit more low rpm thust for my style.The MSC is suppose to give me that..
I will try one of those in a week or so
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Tired Old Man

Where an un-modified Zinger will have issues is at low speeds with crappy thrust performance and holding-pulling out of a hover. At wide open throttle they do ok, but the specialty performance areas are difficult.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 PM
nitro wing

Yeah ,this prop pulls OK,In a hover or other pull off a dead stop,it seems to lack a bit,and wont pull until rpm pick up and then the prop rip starts right after that.
Overall I would say the Pro is fine,its not really lacking in general,but I would love to put it against the MSC,a BME and JXF and a
Mejzlik CF
I will probably have one of each soon.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
altavillan

I didn't express my thoughts well with the last sentence. The Zinger performs well against some well known props. In my experience it doesn't equal the performance to Xoar NX or PT. Havn't tried a MSC. If I wanted a wide blade 23" prop I'd probably cut a 24x8 Zinger down to 23" or 22" as a test to see how it does. I havn't seen MSC available where I shop on line and would not shop for just one prop and have to pay shipping on just one item.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 AM
nitro wing

Bit of a double post here,but I thought it would be a fair update on this thread.Pasted from another thread...

Quite a few flights on it now,the motor is A1,starts easy,same sequence everytime.Smooth and torquey.
I bring the plane in HA,often,right on the runway,low hover,strong pullout,throttle response is 100%,no burble,no coughs or hickups no matter how many G's or weather.Completely confident to pull me out of trouble. Its also quiet with stock muffler and 22x8 MSC.
I love it,glad I purchased it.Thanks for the initial troubleshooting everyone.
If I had to buy another 50cc,I dont think I would even consider any of the others available.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear. How do you like the MSC 22x8? I just bought one myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.