Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Two Cycle Oil for Air Cooled Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Two Cycle Oil for Air Cooled Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Two Cycle Oil for Air Cooled Engines

Larry, if you remember, were Amzoil, Zenoah, or Pennzoil in the test? I already knew the Redline was near the top if not at the top although some others who I don't think manufacture their own oil look smell and feel just like it. If you don't want to post anything bad PM me. I'd certainly be curious as to your findings. (Whatever you may remember)
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Pilotin66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using VP 98 octane and Belray H1R @ 40:1. I have run about 10 gallons with this combination. The reason I went with this fuel is that it stores really well, and since I do not fly as often as I would like, it works for me. You posted some time ago that you were going to take apart your engine and gives us a report on how the H1R worked out for you. This was over a year ago so I am assuming that you already did this. How did it go?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Old Larry

Does anyone put air filters on flying gas engines?[]
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

If someone besides me does then that would make two. Seams kinda silly to argue about whats the best oil if you don't run an airfilter.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Do you mean an airfilter on the carb intake, or a filter for the fuel tank vent line? I've seen some people do the one of the fuel tank vent line. Protecting the vent line is is also advocated in Don's Giant Scale Gas book.

However, I've not personally seen anyone put a filter on the carb air intake except on nitro cars that run in the dirt or nitro combat planes. Actually, with a velocity stack that many pilots use, I'm not sure how one would easily do it.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Jezmo

There are a couple of applications where air filters are not really necessary. One is boats as not much dirt hangs in the air over a lake or the ocean. The other is airplanes. For the most part (There are exceptions) they spend so little time down near the ground where the dust and dirt will be encountered that it is really not worth the effort. At one point, I was flying off of a very sandy/dirt runway and I did put a filter on, but since leaving that field I no longer run one. Also, I haven't torn an engine down that shows any sign of dirt ingestion since that time so I see no need to run one at my current flying location. Your mileage may vary so adjust accordingly. This is just my own personal experience.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
tavinho

Use JASO specification oil for air cooled engines.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM
juice90

Interesting thread. I think there is probably as many opinions as there are oils.

I am new to gas engines in model airplanes. I will be useing the same oil in my airplane as I have been in all my other small engines and that is opti-2 oil. Why? because I have been running this oil for 5 years now in every small engine I own, both 2 and fourstroke,
( opti 2 and opti 4 ) and have had little to no problems with any engine lubrication. And because I have seen the results of what happens when an engine runs out of oil that had opti 4 stroke engine used from new. I won't get into the details of why it ran out of oil, but the only damage was a scored con rod bearing.

After an unplanned tear down of a snowmobile engine after 500 miles,due to a broken reed valve, there was very little wear or carbon build up in that engine as well. And that was running at a mix of around 40-1

I noticed a few posts of ppl useing opti 2 and said it was expensive. It seems like it, but considering its concentrated and your useing less of it compared to other oils, its not that bad. Also, when you purchase it in larger amounts like a 1 gallon jug, its not that bad at all. Looking at the bottle of penzoil, it said 16 oz of oil to 6 galsons of gas ( if i remember right) gives you 50-1 mix. Opti mixes at 8 oz to 5 gallons ( 40-1) so I use half as much oil for the nearly same mix.

Anyways, botton line is probably experience. Use what oil is working best for you. Be it lawnboy, penzoil, yammalube, amsoil etc etc. For a newbie, looking for the right oil???? Still hard to say which is best, as each one of use will have a different opinion. Just stay away from anything intended for injection.

And... based on my personal experience, I'd prob sugest staying way from the cheap big store brands. ( here it would be Canadian tire and wally world) I have found that these oild do not provide great engine protection, and you need more than recomended and smoke like crazy. Which is another reason for useing opti 2. Less smoke.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 AM
skiman762

Oil is not going to stop carbon it may effect the amount but plain gas buring causes carbon ie it's a carbon based fuel and carbon build up is a result of combustion
some are better then others but I doubt one can say I have zero carbon it just can't happen unless it's a steam engine
Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM
RCAddiction

A very good test article showing, among other things, the differing amount and types of carbon buildup from several different oils run in identical RC gas engines.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...test/index.htm
Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Magic R/C

Has anyone tried castro 927 synthetic???
Old 02-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

If you are refering to Maxima Castor 927 then yes, many gallons of it in jetskis and motorcycles. Its a castor/ester blend, it gives all of the benefits of castor yet mixes better and leaves pistons cleaner than any other castor based product that Ive tried. As good as it is, its still castor and a lot nastier than other types of oil.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the use of air filters on the carb. Unless you're flying above 18,000 to 20,000 feet, you are flying in a dirty atmosphere. I've removed many a dirty air filter from small planes that consistently flew above 2,500' msl, or 2,000' agl. Our models do not go there.

Sorry guys, but the air has whatever dirt flaoting around in it that winds and people stirred up. And don't forget you have to take off and land, and as much as people pay attention to things in general, I'm certain that nobody hoses down the runway to stick the dirt before each take off and landing. The prop kicks a lot of crap into the suction stream of a carb and if you want to believe that the stuff is not going into the engine then so be it. Some of us know better.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 AM
RCAddiction

Pat, what sort of air filter do you use?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a foam filter from a chainsaw that's zip tied around the carb venturi. 3W makes fitting a filter rather easy with their 90 degree inlet. Nothin' fancy, it only needs to be there for the best engine longevity. I feel for the jet folks. You should see what a turbine can pick up that's mounted where it has open access to the ground ahead of it.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: juice90

I noticed a few posts of ppl useing opti 2 and said it was expensive. It seems like it, but considering its concentrated and your useing less of it compared to other oils, its not that bad. Also, when you purchase it in larger amounts like a 1 gallon jug, its not that bad at all. Looking at the bottle of penzoil, it said 16 oz of oil to 6 galsons of gas ( if i remember right) gives you 50-1 mix. Opti mixes at 8 oz to 5 gallons ( 40-1) so I use half as much oil for the nearly same mix.
Hate to tell ya, but 8 oz. in 5 gallons is 80:1.............
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

That would make the oil consumption cheaper......
Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy
I feel for the jet folks. You should see what a turbine can pick up that's mounted where it has open access to the ground ahead of it.
Don't they call that FOD?

[X(] [:@]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Of course the "engine consumption" goes up...
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Ernie Misner

I wonder if even Amsoil at 100:1 would help this engine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9-yx3NRV4
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
RTK

You don't need any oil after you treat with proloooong
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nogyro

ORIGINAL: juice90

Hate to tell ya, but 8 oz. in 5 gallons is 80:1.............
Must be juice90 drnk too much juice.....Just Kiding...HA!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Does anyone put air filters on flying gas engines?  

I run a K&N on my Miniature Aircraft X-Cell gasser, G-23. 

Pennzoil for Air-Cooled. Only. 
Old 11-17-2022, 01:31 PM
scottmoore1

Default best 2-stroke oil for 1967 Harley Davidson golf cart

Need an oil expert for 2-strok oil. Can you recommend a couple of good 2 stroke oils for pre mix for an old 1967 Harley Davidson golf cart. It is a 2 stroke low revving non hi performance, air cooled engine. I have found some sites that say to use tcw3 marine oil. This has me confused. The motor was designed to hop from hole to hole on the golf course but now is used to just tole around the home stead. There are conventional oils , synthetic, partially synthetic ect.. Some Golf cart site said to use tcw3 oil in these old carts. Again, its a very simple low revving engine. Is tcw3 Pennzoil the way to go. The Guy I bought the cart from was using Pennzoil tcw2 marine oil judging by the looks of it he had bought it a long time ago by the case probably before tcw3 was out. Some say don't use boat oil use something strictly for air cooled engines? Please help, Thank you
Old 11-20-2022, 03:01 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know if there are golf cart sites to refer you to (just kidding ):
Are there built in cooling provisions?
What is the displacement ( generally smaller displacement require higher oil ratio then larger)?
Modern oils are better than older as a rule, so meeting any of these API TC, JASO FD and ISO EGD classifications should work best.
If you can give a displacement a ratio can be forthcoming.
Just a shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.