Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

new engine, black dots stain

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:52 AM
3DDino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine, black dots stain

pardon me of this weird question
my new engine does not spit out any black stain whilst my buddys' do when running
is it abnormal or what
what should i do to make it spit like others
thx
Old 11-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: new engine, black dots stain

Are you running the same fuel mix? Often people run their engine in with a ruch mix and/or a non-synthetic oil with abrasives (i.e. Lawnboy ashless) that contribute to the polishing/seating f the rings/piston.etc...

This causes the black specs.

Some installations you might not see the specs either because of the location of the muffler.

No reason to NEED to see them, as long as you are running a proper mix (either breakin or standard run mix)
Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The black specs are carbon from running to rich. Fellow fliers was doing that. I leaned out the low speed mix about 1/8 of a turn and it quit. Another reason for black specs is metal to metel wear, like a loose muffler or a bearing disintegrating. The engine would be acting up in this case.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 AM
3DDino

am using stihl 50-1 per instr.
buddys' using total 33-1........ motul 40-1...... quicksilver 25-1
in case you might want to know
thx
Old 11-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Yeah... you are running a considerably cleaner mixture than he is... and at 50:1 I'd think that's synthetic. (Though not for sure about the Stihl brand)

There's no problem running it... it just takes a little longer to fully break in... many fellas don't even bother with break-in and just run what they intend to run all the time.

As long as your engines needles are tuned for good idle, transition and peak rpm minus 100-200 you are good to go. (this is of course using a prop within the recommended range)
Old 11-24-2006, 08:45 AM
3DDino

thx
btw stihl doesn't make syn. oil
they only have dino juice
Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

STIHL High Performance 2-cycle Engine Oil

STIHL High Performance 2-cycle oils are premium-quality, conventional petroleum based engine oils designed to deliver the highest levels of engine protection in modern, high-performance, air-cooled 2-cycle engines. They contain a pour depressant to aid in low temperature applications and a mixing agent (solvent) to aid in mixing with gasoline. STIHL oils are fully compatible with oxygenated fuels. Available in 2.6 oz., 5.2 oz., 6.4 oz., 12.8 oz., 1 gallon, 5 gallon and 55 gallon containers.

STIHL High Performance Super Engine Oil

STIHL High Performance Super Engine Oil is a synthetic blend 2-cycle engine oil that has all the features and benefits of High-Performance oil, but with reduced smoke in the exhaust. It meets and exceeds the ISO L-EGD Standard and is JASO FD certified. It provides superior bearing and piston lubrication at high temperatures, protects against piston scuffing and seizure, and keeps rings and ports free of carbon build-up. Available in 2.6 oz., 5.2 oz., 6.4 oz., 12.8 oz., 1 gallon, 5 gallon and 55 gallon containers.

STIHL High Performance Ultra Engine Oil

STIHL High Performance Ultra Oil is a fully synthetic 2-stroke engine oil specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools. Outstanding engine cleaning, plus "ultra" superior lubricity in comparison to other oils. This oil is ester based and biodegradable so it is ideal for use in STIHL 4-MIXâ„¢ engines and ash-less additives help reduce carbon deposits which improves overall engine cleanliness. It is JASO FB and API TC/TC+ certified. Available in 2.6 oz., 5.2 oz., 6.4 oz., 12.8oz., 16 oz., 5 gallon and 55 gallon containers.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Abrasives in oil is an urban myth, I would like to see documentation to that effect....From an oil company..
Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want more oil out the muffler use ester or castor oil. Excess petroleum will burn off if the combustion temp is high enough. Long periods of idle or low throttle will make the exhaust oily regardless of oil type.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:14 PM
3DDino

thx for the great infos