Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

GAS Saito

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 PM
bradleyban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GAS Saito

ORIGINAL: FedeDiaz

I'm not sure if that is correct. I only see that you are diverting the incoming air to the bottom of the cowling, not allowing with it to get fresh air to the carburetor. I you really need the baffling, why it is not mentioned on the building manual?
Yeah i know it's not in the manual but that part of a build is nessesary depending on your engine set-up. If the motor was to big to fit under the cowl and the cylinders stuck out than there would be no issue with cooling. But the rule of thumb for engine cooling with a cowl is that your exit air should be 3 times the flow of your intake cooling air.

Trust me I didn't want to have to add the baffling but the saito is an expensive motor and i didn't want to ruin my investment.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 PM
bradleyban

Hey FedeDiaz  I got mine running really good now. I was trying to put some holes in my baffling this morning to alow the air to the back of the motor and I guess i was putting a little too much pressure on the baffling and it came loose. So i just yanked it out of there and then I added some slots in the left side of the cowl where the loovers are. Tried it out today and had no issues. But the only issue i have now is that my base of the cylinder is leaking and one of my valve covers too. So now i have a big mess of oil to clean up off my plane.[:@] I'm gonna call horizon and see if they will send me a new gasket set for the motor so I can reseal it up. Pretty bad for a new motor that doesn't even have ten flights on it and its leaking oil all over the place.

Later

Brad
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

These motors are junk and it is really a shame Saito doesn't step up to the plate and fix them.  I would even settle for a do it yourself fix.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM
bradleyban

Considering the money I spent on it I'm not to impressed
Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
FedeDiaz

ORIGINAL: bradleyban

Hey http://<b><font size=''2'' color=''#...iaz</font></b> I got mine running really good now. I was trying to put some holes in my baffling this morning to alow the air to the back of the motor and I guess i was putting a little too much pressure on the baffling and it came loose. So i just yanked it out of there and then I added some slots in the left side of the cowl where the loovers are. Tried it out today and had no issues. But the only issue i have now is that my base of the cylinder is leaking and one of my valve covers too. So now i have a big mess of oil to clean up off my plane.[:@] I'm gonna call horizon and see if they will send me a new gasket set for the motor so I can reseal it up. Pretty bad for a new motor that doesn't even have ten flights on it and its leaking oil all over the place.

Later

Brad
I'm glad to learn that your problems were solved with removing one of the bafflings. Now you have enough air entering to the back of the engine (where the carburetor is located). I'm not having any issues related with engine overheating (with the same Airplane), and I'm not using any baffling.

Yes, I have the same problem with my Engine, there is an oil leak on the valve cover. I did have the same oil leak on the cilinder base, but the screws that hold the cilinder with the carter, were loose. I just re-tightened and that was it. Now, with the valve cover, I'm waiting to get new gaskets that I ordered. I hope this will stop the oil leak.

I went a couple of weeks ago to Horizon Hobbies, at Champaign Illinois and talked with Dave Molck. He told me that he have never had any complains on this engine. He was surprised with the pictures that I showed to him related with the modifications made to the carburetor. It is amazing how Horizon is not aware on this engine claims ! I will send him an e-mail with the pictures and a list of modifications that I made to the engine in order to get it working fine.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
bradleyban

Yeah maybe I will ask for him when I call. I checked the four bolts at the base of the cylinder to see if they were loose but they wern't. It will have to be removed and I'm probley be going to use loc tite 515 gasket sealer on that machine face.

Have you flown your decathlon yet?? The covering is letting go on mine. I think I'm going to get some clear ultracote and do up the seams on the leading edge of the wings and I'm supposed to get a star a stripe package from Dan spears from RC guys (in the mail apparently).
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
FedeDiaz

Yeah maybe I will ask for him when I call. I checked the four bolts at the base of the cylinder to see if they were loose but they wern't. It will have to be removed and I'm probley be going to use loc tite 515 gasket sealer on that machine face.

Have you flown your decathlon yet?? The covering is letting go on mine. I think I'm going to get some clear ultracote and do up the seams on the leading edge of the wings and I'm supposed to get a star a stripe package from Dan spears from RC guys (in the mail apparently).
Only once, but I bought 2 of them and sold one. The other one (the one that I sold) had the same problem, all the blue stripes and the stars are letting go. I did a very good job with the iron first, but I was thinking on putting some transparent monokote (small round pieces) over the stars. I will take some pictures when I'll do it in order to show it to you how I did it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Horizon should sell a package of valve cover gaskets by themselves without having to get all the other stuff?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
bradleyban

I need all the other stuff. well it only looks like they are three gaskets on the motor itself. The base of the cylinder looks like it is a machined face matched up with very minimal sealer was put in place. In otherwords they cheaped out on sealer ........lol ........or it was a friday afternoon and beer was on the brain.....lol
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 PM
w8ye

The FG-36, FG-30, FG-20, and FG-14 all have a cylinder base gasket and they still leak black oil at the cylinder base
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 AM
kenhiraihnl

I watched this one fly today...quiet and powerful...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17564.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1493049  
Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 AM
Didg

ORIGINAL: FedeDiaz
I went a couple of weeks ago to Horizon Hobbies, at Champaign Illinois and talked with Dave Molck. He told me that he have never had any complains on this engine. He was surprised with the pictures that I showed to him related with the modifications made to the carburetor. It is amazing how Horizon is not aware on this engine claims ! I will send him an e-mail with the pictures and a list of modifications that I made to the engine in order to get it working fine.
Maybe it would be a good idea to send him a link to this thread.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 AM
bradleyban

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The FG-36, FG-30, FG-20, and FG-14 all have a cylinder base gasket and they still leak black oil at the cylinder base

Oh do they??

Saito 57cc?? Gas??
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 AM
bradleyban

ORIGINAL: kenhiraihnl

New item out?? Ican't find it anywhere
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Stiknrudder
My Feedback: (3)

New item out?? I can't find it anywhere
I read a one sentence blurb about it in some thread regarding initial testing ( from Peter Bergstrom I think.) And as far as HH having no idea about these engines, ignitions, and carburators, given the amount of chatter on this thread as well as the other saito gasser thread (that has had participation by HH), I find that statement, while plausible, certainly unbelievable. They need to have better coordination between themselves.

Rick
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM
FedeDiaz

WHAT A SHAME !
Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Didg

Got my FG-36 back from distributor today.

"Ignition timing out due to sheared prop drive location pin.
Susspect that the prop was not tightened enough, so when engine "kicked" it sheared the location pin and moved the timing by 10-15 degrees.
FOC repair as good will jesture."

In all my years of modeling I've never had this happen to me before with any other engine, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else I know.
Surely the pin should be strong enough to withstand an "engine kick".

I shall re install it and keep you all posted.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
w8ye

It has been reported on here before that a Saito has sheared the hub pin
Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

And Horrizon doesn't know anything about the issues with their modified glow engines.  I sent 2 back and they run just as bad as whne I retruned them.   I think everyone that has sent thei engine in should post how many and how many times.

Can you say junk!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Didg

It has been reported on here before that a Saito has sheared the hub pin
That's interesting, sounds like it's another issue that Saito need to look into then.[:@]
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 AM
kenhiraihnl

ORIGINAL: Stiknrudder

New item out?? I can't find it anywhere
I read a one sentence blurb about it in some thread regarding initial testing ( from Peter Bergstrom I think.) And as far as HH having no idea about these engines, ignitions, and carburators, given the amount of chatter on this thread as well as the other saito gasser thread (that has had participation by HH), I find that statement, while plausible, certainly unbelievable. They need to have better coordination between themselves.

Rick
My friend was testing the engine for publicity video. It's based on 1.50 cylinders, single carb, CM-6 plugs, 25:1 oil mix for break-in, and a real gas mizer...

Name:	Fd92853.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1493583  
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks nice.....probably sounds even better

Name:	Wu61756.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1494032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24852.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1494033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72746.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1494034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60021.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1494035  
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
w8ye

http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
FedeDiaz

ORIGINAL: SJN

looks nice.....probably sounds even better
Twice the problems ?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Twice the problems and more then twice the price of a FG36! The FG57cc = $1,830.85USD or $1,934.37CDN!! You will not see to many of these Saito's in warbirds due to their width and price!!!

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.