Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Easiest Conversion Homelite45 or Poulan46cc?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Easiest Conversion Homelite45 or Poulan46cc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 07:22 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest Conversion Homelite45 or Poulan46cc?

Hi all,
I've read the posts on the Poulan 46 and the Homelite 45 conversions. Very interesting!!!

I've been eyeballing a Poulan 46 for conversion to R/C but have concerns with the carb mounting issue. I'd like to be able to rotate the carb for direct, in-line linkage. I like the way FlipFlop did his on www.rcfaq.com

Also, I have no machining experience or real access to anything like that. I can have the flywheel turned by a shop in town for decent price I think though.

Which one would be the easiest to convert? Poulan or Homelite?

I like the beam-mount style of the Poulan too....

FlipFlop...want to make me a carb adapter? heheh

Thanks guys and keep up the awesome posts on conversions...I like to see those pics go from saw to plane....sweet...
Anyone got pics of a Poulan actually MOUNTED to a plane? Flight Performance?

High Flights!
CrazyHerb
Old 01-25-2003, 11:36 AM
flipflop

THAT carb mount was a lot of work. Right now the 46 is mounted on the front of a Texas Hurricane. I'm thinking about taking it off this afternoon and setting it up with a C-H ignition just so I won't have to carry a starter around. You might consider the Poulan 42, no carb mount needed. I posted some numbers for it in the "Tachometer readings" section.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:30 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default Poulan

The new CH conversion includes a new intake manifold that rotates the carb.
See new products an their web site.
www.ch-ignitions.com
Old 01-25-2003, 08:00 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Ignition Conversion

Well Dang...

If I were to get a CH conversion that runs the price up so I might as well just get a ZDZ 40 ready to fly. I was just thinking of an easy conversion that wasn't a (reed valve weedie), rather a Port induction style.

Just to verify...On the 42cc. So it has the mag AND carb BOLTED to the cylinder? Which model number saw is it?

I have a 32cc that the mag is screwed to the case of the saw case..not the motor itself. YUCK!

Thanks for the heads-up FlipFlop on the 46cc carb issue.

CrazyHerb
Old 01-25-2003, 08:06 PM
bn120

here is my poulan turning a JZ 22 6-10 on a h9 cap weighs 14 lbs a little heavy but that is wet ready to go full tank of gas. I made this mount myself and others have used it as well with good results I like to prepair for a crash and it this one goes in only the bracket will bend of break because it uses the original rubber boot, cost about 1.50 to make, if any of the other styles go in it will likely break the engine case it is atached to, cost a new engine!I have well over excede the unlimited vertical .with this prop the vertical speed is almost as fast as the level flight .the muffler is a bennet custom made by dick bennet ,he will ship you one for 35.00 he has all the dimensions for mine so just tell him you want one for the poulan 46 the 42cc is also the same one.If you have anymore q's just email me and I would be glad to help

Darin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50187_21119.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	30875  
Old 01-25-2003, 08:08 PM
bn120

the muffler.

Name:	50189_21119.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	30876  
Old 01-25-2003, 08:14 PM
bn120

the 42 mag is atached to the case of the saw not the engine I know what you are after this is where I was a year ago, go with my set up and you will have a 150.00 motor that pulls like a tank

Darin
Old 01-25-2003, 08:57 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Cool...Pics say a thousand words!

Darin,
Thanks so much for the pics. That looks like the 46cc?

Easy enough to set up a carb mount like that...nice...just use the existing rubber boot...nice.

46cc power for 150 bux....you nailed it!

Anything else special you did to your motor? Turned flywheel, trimmed case, anything?

Thanks again! Great pics...
CrazyHerb
Old 01-25-2003, 10:02 PM
flipflop

Here's the 46 mounted on my Hurricane.

Name:	50217_923.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	30877  
Old 01-26-2003, 02:40 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Them sure Prudy!

Man FlipFlop...that straight-linkage carb setup is beautiful!

Ok...I'm off to ebay to look for me a 46cc... wish me luck!
LOL

Thanks for all your help guys!
I'll keep you posted!

CrazyHerb
Old 01-30-2003, 04:53 PM
jwv3

Hey flipflop, I read in an older post that you got your Poulan 46 down to 3.5 lbs. Was that an accurate measurement or a guesstimate?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 PM
wrhardin

I don't know much about the Poulan but I am building a new web site for RS Engines and posting some conversion instructions on it for the Homelite 33/45 cc engine. The site is not complete yet, but some of the pages are up. If you would like to take a look at the instructions so far, go to the following link and then click on the link to the white pages.

http://webpages.charter.net/rsengine...e33/33kit.html
Old 01-30-2003, 10:37 PM
jwv3

Thanks for the web site, it helps.

So let me see if I have this straight, the Brute 45 is a homelite 45cc which is virtually the same as a Poulan 46cc?

I'm trying to gather which of these 30cc and up conversions can be the lightest weight while keeping the price reasonable. I was originally planning on a Ryobi with a CH ignition system. Then I started reading about the Poulan getting down to about 3.5 lbs, looks interesting
Old 01-30-2003, 11:47 PM
flipflop

Whoa, wait a minute. As stated in the original post, the 3.5lb weight was as pictured. With the Hanger Nine mounts and Abell muffler it weighs 4lbs 8oz. ready to fly(just weighed it on a digital scale). Still not bad for the price!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:56 AM
cappy1

Last weekend I picked up a complete "newly remanufactured" Homelite 25cc weedeater for 30 bucks from a Cummins tool dealer.Cant wait till I get home in ten days to tear it apart and start cutting. My wife said, " we Dont need another weedeater". lol I said " I know that,,, but I needed another weedeater engine."
Old 01-31-2003, 01:10 PM
jwv3

Oh, okay. I didn't realize a mount and muffler would weight that much. I'm too used to glow engines, and never bothered weighing any of that stuff anyway.

So looking over the different options, a Ryobi weighs about 4 lbs including flywheel/mag and muffler (no mount). That looks to be without any serious mods to trim weight. So with some flywheel work like you did on your Poulan flywheel, the Ryobi could possibly be about a half a pound less with a mount, at most. Still think the power to weight of the poulan is a better option.

Then again, this is going on a plane that should fly well with the Ryobi as others have used that combo.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:13 PM
jwv3

That sounds like a great deal. Do reman's generally get any new internal engine parts, like piston or rings? Let me know how yours looks on the inside when you tear it down. I'm probably going to buy a reman engine which ever one I decide on.

Originally posted by Rickm
Last weekend I picked up a complete "newly remanufactured" Homelite 25cc weedeater for 30 bucks from a Cummins tool dealer.Cant wait till I get home in ten days to tear it apart and start cutting. My wife said, " we Dont need another weedeater". lol I said " I know that,,, but I needed another weedeater engine."