Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 AM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problem?

I have a Fuji 43 with electronic ignition. THe engine starts, runs fine. Once airborne the engine will quit abruptly at any throttle setting. I glide to the ground, give it a couple of flips and it will start again then repeat the same thing. It just started doing this.
My question is. Do these electronic modules go bad? Can they overheat? While not a newbie I don't have a lot of experience with gassers unless they are connected to a leaf blower.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ignition problem?

If the engine is too hot to touch immediately after landing, then it may be set lean.

A gas engine can also quit running if there are no sparks. Is the ig. battery of enough capacity, good and fully charged?

--qc

Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 AM
ShineyObject

Yes, the battery for the ignition was reading 4.9 VDC under a 300Mh load. I ajusted to richer setting with the same results. It acts like the switch is being turned off (maybe a switch problem?) ---- My real question was do the EI modules go bad? Is it common?
Thank you!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ShineyObject

I have a Fuji 43 with electronic ignition. THe engine starts, runs fine. Once airborne the engine will quit abruptly at any throttle setting. I glide to the ground, give it a couple of flips and it will start again then repeat the same thing. It just started doing this.
My question is. Do these electronic modules go bad? Can they overheat? While not a newbie I don't have a lot of experience with gassers unless they are connected to a leaf blower.
It does sound like you have a component or connection inside the ignition module that is going bad. This is probably related to a rise in temperature within the module even though that temperature rise would not normally cause a problem. The sensor could also be suspect.

Possibly the supply voltage is dropping too low and this is causing the ignition to quit.

Have you contacted Fuji about this problem?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my DA50, the load on battery is around 600ma when the throttle is fully advanced, and the static current drawn is about 25ma. What is the max current drawn for the fuji engine and is 300ma sufficient?

If ig. module goes bad, the engine will not start at all. The sensor wire on my DA50 did broken once and when that happens, there is no spark as well.

Switch can go bad or becomes intermittent once in while. Is the switch heavy-duty kind, and mounted away from the engine?

Finally, have you ruled out lean run situation? How many minutes into the fly will the engine usually quit? Will the plane slow down when pull into a verticle line, or it always quits shortly after the throttle is advanced? If so, then the engine is lean.

The othher possible source of lean is air leak.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 PM
ShineyObject

It is not running lean. That had been fully tested.
It could be a faullty ignition componet then...That was my question.
The battery is not suspect, but I appreciate what you are saying about full throttle current draw, and I fully understand and will consider that on my next trip to the field. Everthing is mounted properly and away from .... etc. I tested at 300Mah because that is the way my 18 year old-home made tester is constructed. I've been planning on making myself another one to apply various current draws from .100 - 1.000 but haven't made the effort yet.
You have given me food for more testing and I appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 PM
ShineyObject

Big Bird - I checked out your Bücker Jungme
--- SWEET !!!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ShineyObject

Big Bird - I checked out your Bücker Jungme
--- SWEET !!!
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Ultimate 40

Check your throttle servo.....
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

And yes, ignitions do fail in intermittent ways. They are not just light bulbs that work or don't work. I had a 3W ignition that would start to act up (mis-firing on one cylinder) but only after it had been running for 10 or 15 minutes on hot days. I fought this for months (suspected tank problem, etc.) before figuring it out.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starts and runs good on the ground, then quits in flight, returning to the ground and it starts and runs well again. Doesn't that sound more like something loose? A broken wire that loses connectivity when moved? A loose wire at the plug cap? Wire at a switch or battery? Sounds to me like the ignition is probably working just fine by itself, but something is interrupting the flow of electricity to the end point.

If everything in the ignition checks out the you'll need to revisit the fuel system to see if it's venting properly.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:01 AM
ShineyObject

Yes it does Silver and that is part of what I will check out after the holidays.
McQuinn - thanks for addressing my real question.
I believe the problem will be one of the two items brought up. Something is loose in the electrical, or the EI is bad. I'll try to remember to post the final solution here.

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Starts and runs good on the ground, then quits in flight, returning to the ground and it starts and runs well again. Doesn't that sound more like something loose? A broken wire that loses connectivity when moved? A loose wire at the plug cap? Wire at a switch or battery? Sounds to me like the ignition is probably working just fine by itself, but something is interrupting the flow of electricity to the end point.

If everything in the ignition checks out the you'll need to revisit the fuel system to see if it's venting properly.