Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Experimental supercharger

Old 12-24-2006, 04:46 PM
shakeelsid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experimental supercharger

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Why not use a little Nitrous Oxide? The simplest way to go. There are kits for snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc....Hit the switch on the transmitter and BLAST out of a hover! You'd have two solenoids, one for the nitrous and one for the fuel. Your main settings on the carb would not need to be changed. Might want to back off the timing a little bit too prevent detonation, but that depends on how much nitrous you're spraying. Man this would be fun to play with if I had the extra cash laying around.
Thats a good one, might try it one day.

Regarding all the other 'suggestions'; been there - done that - timing, porting, induction, tuned pipe, compression - all. There are two things I havent done yet - build a small gas turbine and supercharge an engine. I am getting exceeding lazier later in life, dont see myself machining an impeller - thence the cox shortcut.
Seems like the little cox is not really the ticket afterall - Ok, lets see, I have a turkey to devour, and I could mull over the idea of what to do with all those little engines later.

In the meanwhile, it is forecast to be a dull, rainy and snowless xmas.

Merry Christmas to you and yours
sid.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:01 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merry Christmas to you too, man. Good luck with the search for more power.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Balsa Steel
My Feedback: (3)

Don't give up on your ideas. Try it on a smaller motor if you want. Failure is only another lesson learned, and more experience gained. Heck, I'd be behind you if you tried to supercharge something with a balloon! And Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:24 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Sid,, what weedeater motor is this any way ??, I have a (new, never used) modified Homelite 30cc cylinder for sale,, with a piston change it will fit the Homelite 24cc..

Jim
Old 12-26-2006, 12:22 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

give the supercharger a go -
the mechanical losses on positive displacement types are pretty high and the turbo or centrifugal types are really of limited performance in very small sizes-
A piston setup is likely the best - in that small size
The OS supercharger on th 1.2 fourcycle was the WORST supercharger setup I ever worked on.
They ended up putting highly restrictive devices and a small carb to try to limit the boost -all because as a glow plug setup it was destined to fail.
We made it work by seriously reducing compression thru grinding out the squish band in the head . Still the compression build up as the boost increased, tried to create pre ignition and detonation.
It did preignite like crazy in stock form
IF they had opted for a spark ignition (and there were no good ones at that time ) it could have worked very well.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Crusty

ORIGINAL: Balsa Steel

ORIGINAL:

How many turbos/blowers work on a glow two-stroke? Name one.

RB innovations.

Nope....He asked to name one that "works"...and thats all im saying on this
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Boosted Weedwacker

I think supercharging a two stroke is a great idea in fact i'm building my own supercharger but the problem is finding the perfect carb I would say I'm 25% done. I'm supercharging a mac 1385L 32cc weed wacker engine I know the engine is crap but It's all I have anyways here's some pics of the engine and my project .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72334.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1066497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84583.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1066498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99243.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1066499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13948.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1066500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd45068.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1066501  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 AM
eugene

You got it Eddie.......The only substitute for cubic inches is, rectangular money.....
Old 11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no idea id this would work...but here goes! Use a carburator with a float. Build a box just big enough to enclose the carb. The output from your blower will push air into the box via a connector. You may be able to "Test" this therory by using a high output electric blower (ac or dc powered) to simuate boost. A tube hooked to box would show the ammount of boost. The amount of boost woud have to be controlled by electric blower controls or a waste gate to relieve to much boost. May be kinda fun! Capt,n
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM
cosmospho

I was just wondering, why don't you run a ducted fan engine with a brushless engine setup linked to the throttle channel and some kind of mixing to regulate it the same as the throttle or the amount you need....

With the latest technology in eletrics, that would be the way to go, all you would need is a lipo, a DF blowing into your intake or to manifold.... I like your perseverance, inspite of all saying there are better ways.... This is the way things get invented and go forward, because of crazy nuts like you :-).....

Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could even use the aircompressor turned down a bit and mess around.