Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Copperhead Venom 45

Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM
CopperheadAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Venom 45-30

ORIGINAL: rc3dr

NOT GOING TO GET INTO THIS MESS BUT IF IT REQUIRED A VELOCITY STACK, IT SHOULD COME WITH ONE !
I AM DONE WITH THE WHOLE OMP/COPPERHEAD OUTFIT......^%$#@
You should have more time to dedicate to selling the engines you’re pushing in this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6280522

Kind of cheesy to post here when you have your own engine you’re trying to import and promote! This is a hobby, lighten up man!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:35 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: dubflyer

Hi Tim/John,

I am having major trouble with the Carb. The engine is starting for a few seconds and dies.

I replaced the ign and still the same issue. We cleaned the carb.............still the same issue. I replaced the sparkplug ..........no differencen.

Some of the folks at the field are very familiar with gas engines and they advised me to 1) Ceck both needles.....removed and cleaned plus flushed fuel through the openings 2) clean the carb; 2) Check Ign 3) Check Sparkplug.

Right now I am boxing the engine for return to John at OMP. I do not have enough time to mess with this anymore as I have lost 1/2 my week-end already putzing with this and no flying.

I was hoping to mount this engine on my Decathlon and go fly this week. The engine never ran smooth............always knocking some at idle - 4500 RPM.

My colleagues at the field feel that most of my problems are due to the carb. After following the breakin instructions to the letter I am very dissapointed that instead of the engine running smoother it is anything but and I would not attempt to put this on any plane..............an opinnion voiced by another Venoom 45 owner who witnessed the problems and amount of time cossumed to try to get this engione to run. He is the one that loaned me the ignition from his motor to try.

This week-end we also had a visit by Mr Casey Rowe at our field and he along with many others incl Jack Youngblood and Ron Nessler offered many helpful suggestions time and hands on support. I want to thank them all for putting a tremndous effort into trying to get the Venom 45 runnig.

Instead of sending your engine in for service or asking for help you post this. The guys at your field dont warranty your engine, I do.

The knocking your describing is the engine 4 stroking. No valves so no knock. If your having a issue with the carb it will be replaced at my expense but you need to give me the oppertunity to do so. Your situation is not common as desplayed by this 55 page thread. As I said, If your having issues, contact us and we will be happy to help you.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: azhar

Dubb,

Check your batts and connections. If you have a loose connection, you might have it showing up when engine starts. Switch could be an issue too.

azhar
Also, if you are running a 5 cell pack on the rcexl ignition, this will cause issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Any product including an engine should not be returned without authorization. Warranty service on the engines is handled by Mark and if there is an issue with the engine Mark will fix it. Returning the engine to John at OMP will result in it being sent either back to you or to the service of Mark. I find it very interesting that RC3dr is importing his own engine line. I know my integrity prevents me from buying and then badmouthing another competitor publicily. Guess not all feel that way though.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 AM
dubflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CopperheadAV

Hi Tim/John,

I am having major trouble with the Carb. The engine is starting for a few seconds and dies.

I replaced the ign and still the same issue. We cleaned the carb.............still the same issue. I replaced the sparkplug ..........no differencen.

Some of the folks at the field are very familiar with gas engines and they advised me to 1) Ceck both needles.....removed and cleaned plus flushed fuel through the openings 2) clean the carb; 2) Check Ign 3) Check Sparkplug.

Right now I am boxing the engine for return to John at OMP. I do not have enough time to mess with this anymore as I have lost 1/2 my week-end already putzing with this and no flying.

I was hoping to mount this engine on my Decathlon and go fly this week. The engine never ran smooth............always knocking some at idle - 4500 RPM.

My colleagues at the field feel that most of my problems are due to the carb. After following the breakin instructions to the letter I am very dissapointed that instead of the engine running smoother it is anything but and I would not attempt to put this on any plane..............an opinnion voiced by another Venoom 45 owner who witnessed the problems and amount of time cossumed to try to get this engione to run. He is the one that loaned me the ignition from his motor to try.

This week-end we also had a visit by Mr Casey Rowe at our field and he along with many others incl Jack Youngblood and Ron Nessler offered many helpful suggestions time and hands on support. I want to thank them all for putting a tremndous effort into trying to get the Venom 45 runnig.

Instead of sending your engine in for service or asking for help you post this. The guys at your field dont warranty your engine, I do.

The knocking your describing is the engine 4 stroking. No valves so no knock. If your having a issue with the carb it will be replaced at my expense but you need to give me the oppertunity to do so. Your situation is not common as desplayed by this 55 page thread. As I said, If your having issues, contact us and we will be happy to help you.

Cheers,

Tim
Tim............When I am at the field we are like one big family as I am sure you have also experienced it at other flying clubs. Thats what flying is all about meeting firends ; discussing and sharing experiences; flying and getting along with folks
Nobody like to see another club member struggling with an engine that refuses to run. In the heat of battle you want to try out any reasonable suggestion thay me be the fix for the current situation. If I did not have these kind folks helping me I would not have had hands-on witnesses who helped me describe the issue more thoroughly.

As for posting here.........Well this is the forum for everything to do with the Venom 45...........and I was only posting my experiences which I expect all owners of the Venom engines to do in a frank and honest manner , both good ; bad and ugly . After all I purchased my engine based mainly on the information found in this thread and when I am satisfied with my purchase I will note the outcome here also.

Thank you for offering to fix the problem by replacing the carb if necessary.

The 5 cell pack is regulated to 5.4 V as I will use a LI Ion 7.4 volt pack with the 5.4V regulator in the decathlon. I can assure you that this was not an electrical supply issue as the engine fired each time it was flipped after priming ...however since the North Pole will someday flip and become the south I am keeping an open mind[:-]

As for remote help.........well I guess that since you are in China and I have no way to contact you from my flying field I have to make do like most others would have done.

I am still hoping for a smooth running Venom 45 engine which you assured me was what I should get will all the quality control you are currently implementing.

Thank you,
Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 AM
dubflyer

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Any product including an engine should not be returned without authorization. Warranty service on the engines is handled by Mark and if there is an issue with the engine Mark will fix it. Returning the engine to John at OMP will result in it being sent either back to you or to the service of Mark. I find it very interesting that RC3dr is importing his own engine line. I know my integrity prevents me from buying and then badmouthing another competitor publicily. Guess not all feel that way though.
Any product including an engine should not be returned without authorization...If that is your policy then you have to state that in writing ..?

Most model engine vendors that I have dealt with recently do not have that policy..........they are more than willing to accept a return and resolve the problem.

I did send my engine back to OMP as that was the address of the vendor. There was no mention in the manual of sending the engine to another address / vendor for warrenty.

If the engine has to go outside your company for warrenty repair then it should be communicated in the Manual as I do not know Mark's address or his affilliation to OMP.

As the originator of this thread said we are Off topic and the tome is getting Ugly which was never my intention.

I have no problem adressing your comments in a PM.

So lets get the thread back on track and discuss Venom engines i
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
CopperheadAV

I land in Jacksonville the 14th and leave the 16th. I will check your engine then. I hope all the experts show?? PM me for the details. If not, quit your ****ing and moaning!!!!!

Cheers,

Tim
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Mike Miller

Wow, you are willing to fly to Florida to help a customer with an engine problem, talk about service!

I am still wating on the engine that was shipped to me 1 week ago, being patient and knowing that a holiday always messes up the post office and most other shippers. I think that Dub does have a good point in saying that the paperwork that comes with the engine should have all the details of the proper way to get service and to get an engine returned to the service department need to be.

I am really anxious to get my engine on the test stand and start breaking it in. With winter approaching I might not get much flight time in this year, but you never know.

Tim,, a tip of the hat to you for the level of support that you are offering through this forum and elsewhere. You and your people seem to be doing things extremely professionally and I feel that this will ensure that all of our V45 engines will be running for many years. It is unreasonable to expect that there will be no problems. The main thing is the peace of mind knowing that the manufacturer is there behind us to make it all woth while.

Happy flying to all, and hopefully all the posts here will try and stay on the positeve side.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM
dubflyer

ORIGINAL: CopperheadAV

I land in Jacksonville the 14th and leave the 16th. I will check your engine then. I hope all the experts show?? PM me for the details. If not, quit your ****ing and moaning!!!!!

Cheers,

Tim
Tim,

Thank you for offering to meet me while you are on a visit to Jacksonville....PM sent. OMP should have my engine by then as it was send by USPS priority mail on Monday AM. If you have a replacement Venom 45 please bring it with you. Looking forward to getting a smooth running engine.

Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 AM
mfuess

Apparently, the engine in question was not bench-run by the owner prior to installation. I don't know about you guys, but I always bench-run my engines (regardless of brand) before I take the time to install it in my aircraft. There's nothing more irritating than going to the field to fly, only to end up fiddling with an engine. Everyone has their own perception as to the cause for an engine malfunction, but no one "really" knows for sure. So you end up going through all sorts of gyrations trying to "field" solve a problem. The only thing you really succeed in doing is getting ticked off... been there, done that. Unless you have the proper equipment to test components, all you can do is guess by trial & error... And that didn't work...
Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 AM
mfuess

PART TWO:

I know it "sounds" like a carb problem to you, but I don't necessarily agree. Did you pop-off test it? Did you flow test it? Did you check the pump pressure? Not likely.

You said you changed the ignition, but from what I read only partially. The original sensor, switch, and battery pack remained. The symptoms I read here "suggest" it's in the ignition, right when the spark advance controller kicks in... This is a guess at best, but at least I have the equipment to actually test this stuff and isolate the real problem.

As your engine begins to fire up, the current load increases directly propottional to RPM especially during the timing swing. I would suspect a battery and or switch and or sensor. Sometimes over-voltage can cause a malfunction as well as an under voltage. Some ignitions are sensitive to battery supply voltage and current availibility.

But again, only proper analysis will find and correct the problem.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
dubflyer

Hi Mark,

just a few comments on your two part post:

1) In all my posts I have never mentioned that the engine is running on a plane. I have only run the engine on a test bench which is located at our flying field.

2) I agree with you that the only components on the electrical side not replaced at the field were the battery; switch and regulator.

As I said the engine fired each time we flipped the prop............so there was a spark..!!

If there is a large current draw with the electronic ignition then that is a new issue to me and I agree that after running the engine over 1.5 hrs that day perhaps the load on the 5 cell 2100ma battery was more than it could handle. This could very well be the source of the problem.[:-]

I have sent the engine back to OMP for testing so I am not in a position to perform a power check currently.

3) I certainly do not have the equipemt or the knowledge to perform flow tests etc on carbs so I will have to pass on this one and leave ot to the experts.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this problem soon and I can finally install the engine in my super decathlon.

I agree with your observation as it now seems to me to be the only logical explanation.

Many thanks for your expert opinion and for pointing me towards a very possible cause and an easy fix.

Looking forward to a smotth running Venom 45
Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

I don't know the company position on this, but in reading many, many threads over the past several months, I thought it was pretty much universally agreed that a 6 volt battery on the RCExcell ignitions was not needed and not advised. I read almost every engine manufacturer's thread here on RCU, and since almost everyone uses the RCExcell ignitions, I remember several posts (Non Copperhead threads) related to damage to the igniton when 5 cell batteries were used. I know the ign. case says 4.8 - 6.0 volt, but many concluded this was a potential problem and simply advised .., others to stay with 4.8 volts and avoid a possible headache. Thats what I did, and my V45 runs great! I use a 4.8 volt 1650 mah NIMH battery on mine, which will more that cover a day at the field for me.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
mfuess

Hi Mark,

1) In all my posts I have never mentioned that the engine is running on a plane. I have only run the engine on a test bench which is located at our flying field.

2) I agree with you that the only components on the electrical side not replaced at the field were the battery; switch and regulator.

As I said the engine fired each time we flipped the prop............so there was a spark..!!

If there is a large current draw with the electronic ignition then that is a new issue to me and I agree that after running the engine over 1.5 hrs that day perhaps the load on the 5 cell 2100ma battery was more than it could handle. This could very well be the source of the problem.[:-]

I have sent the engine back to OMP for testing so I am not in a position to perform a power check currently.

3) I certainly do not have the equipemt or the knowledge to perform flow tests etc on carbs so I will have to pass on this one and leave ot to the experts.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this problem soon and I can finally install the engine in my super decathlon.

I agree with your observation as it now seems to me to be the only logical explanation.

Many thanks for your expert opinion and for pointing me towards a very possible cause and an easy fix.

Dubflyer,

Sorry for the assumption regarding your engine at the field. It "seemed" only logical that when someone is at the field, they're wanting to fly. It all makes since now. I had an engine receintly that had similar symptoms, IE: It would pop, sometimes almost run but it would never catch a good run. I fiddled with it for hours on end.... changed carbs several times, changed ignition 4 TIMES! And even replaced the sensor a couple of times. The engine simply didn't want to run, it would pop, sputter and almost fire up. I was almost totally baffled. I checked the timing and re-set it. Still no running. I checked the battery and it showed to be OK. As a LAST resort, I switched to a 4 cell 1900 Mah Nicad pack and it fired up and ran perfectly, aside from minor carb tuning.

It was my battery pack the whole damned time! And it showed to be OK on the tester. GO FIGURE... anyway, I "try" not to presume anything on engines anymore.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
dubflyer

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

I don't know the company position on this, but in reading many, many threads over the past several months, I thought it was pretty much universally agreed that a 6 volt battery on the RCExcell ignitions was not needed and not advised. I read almost every engine manufacturer's thread here on RCU, and since almost everyone uses the RCExcell ignitions, I remember several posts (Non Copperhead threads) related to damage to the igniton when 5 cell batteries were used. I know the ign. case says 4.8 - 6.0 volt, but many concluded this was a potential problem and simply advised .., others to stay with 4.8 volts and avoid a possible headache. Thats what I did, and my V45 runs great! I use a 4.8 volt 1650 mah NIMH battery on mine, which will more that cover a day at the field for me.
Hi Mitsu1,

I put a 5.4V regulator on the power supply for the bench test. I know that 5 cells when newly charged can put out over 7V initially . I am intending to use 7.4V 2100ma Lithium Ion with the 5.4v regulator with a smartfly opto kill switch for the engine ( safety first ) and 2 x 4300ma Lithium Ion pacs with a Smartfly regulator for my RX system.

I am sure a fully charged 4.8 volt pack can reach 5.4 volts initially so I should be within specification for the RCExl ignition module as it is rated for 6V. I know from being at the Joe Nall over the past 3 years that many of the 50cc birds are using 7.4V LI pacs regulated with a 5.4V .

Many thanks for your advice and interesting discussion.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 PM
The Big Kahuna

I had exactly the same problem. Although initial tests on the stand where spot on, I was talkled into getting a 5 cell 6V battery. As soon as I put the 5 cell on, the V45 just popped and would not run. I thought I buggered something up but in desperation I switched back to my old 4 cell pack and miraculously the problem was gone! I now use the 5 cell pack for driving the the 7 sevos only.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
SERCE

Hi Tim,
Well,,,,,[X(]
I am sorry to inform you that I will not be selling these engines at all.
They may be fine for the China/Asia market, but they do not
fit into ours. Shen is trying hard but has a long way to go.
Something that will not happen in the near future for me.

Also, the way I understand it, you have gone to china to try and
fix the problems with the engines you are currently selling ????
I am not going to china and try to re-wright the book on engine
manufacturing. Nor do I see the benefit in trying to compete with
the guys that are all ready selling the same size engines and
taking excellant care of their customers.
IE- BCMA Engines / Brillelli.

Anyway, I am not bad mouthing your products, I have a problem
with your service. If you, John, Mike, want to make it right, why
has no one called me? Thats all, just a phone call to say --
"What do we need to do to make this right"

Thanks,
Ron / RC3DR

Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
dubflyer

ORIGINAL: mfuess

Hi Mark,

Dubflyer,

Sorry for the assumption regarding your engine at the field. It "seemed" only logical that when someone is at the field, they're wanting to fly. It all makes since now. I had an engine receintly that had similar symptoms, IE: It would pop, sometimes almost run but it would never catch a good run. I fiddled with it for hours on end.... changed carbs several times, changed ignition 4 TIMES! And even replaced the sensor a couple of times. The engine simply didn't want to run, it would pop, sputter and almost fire up. I was almost totally baffled. I checked the timing and re-set it. Still no running. I checked the battery and it showed to be OK. As a LAST resort, I switched to a 4 cell 1900 Mah Nicad pack and it fired up and ran perfectly, aside from minor carb tuning.

It was my battery pack the whole damned time! And it showed to be OK on the tester. GO FIGURE... anyway, I "try" not to presume anything on engines anymore.
Mark,

Not a problem ....I am not allowed to start my airplane engines in my sub-division ( guess how I know....!! ) so I have to make a trip (70 Miles round trip ) to the field each time. That limits me to week-ends only but when all goes well I can get a few flights in between filling the fuel tank.

Sometimes it is the simplest of fixes that baffle us the most. I can certainly relate to your story .....and thank you very much for clarifying the current draw vs RPM on the RCExl..........that was the key point that I really had overlooked. It is usually not an issue when I am flying as I never go more than 3 flights without charging my ignition battery.

Many thanks,

Martin
Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: rc3dr

Hi Tim,
Well,,,,,[X(]
I am sorry to inform you that I will not be selling these engines at all.
They may be fine for the China/Asia market, but they do not
fit into ours. Shen is trying hard but has a long way to go.
Something that will not happen in the near future for me.

Also, the way I understand it, you have gone to china to try and
fix the problems with the engines you are currently selling ????
I am not going to china and try to re-wright the book on engine
manufacturing. Nor do I see the benefit in trying to compete with
the guys that are all ready selling the same size engines and
taking excellant care of their customers.
IE- BCMA Engines / Brillelli.

Anyway, I am not bad mouthing your products, I have a problem
with your service. If you, John, Mike, want to make it right, why
has no one called me? Thats all, just a phone call to say --
"What do we need to do to make this right"

Thanks,
Ron / RC3DR

Sounds like bad mouthing to me Ron. I'm in China because we own a factory that manufactures model airplanes, not because of some manufactured emergency as you purported to.
Ron, this is the first time you gave and indication as to your name??? If your are having some sort of issue, PLEASE CALL!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:40 AM
SERCE

Here we go again??? You just keep coming back for more !
and yes you were there to fix
a jig problem that caused the crankcase halfves not to line up
correctly. Quote "If they don't line up correctly in the jig
than don't use them"
So you need to be careful what you tell people over the phone.

I have called you, many times.
All I got was your answering machine and one more time -
"YOU NEVER RETURNED MY CALLS"
I have sent you at least 4 emails to your business email add.
"YOU NEVER RETURNED MY EMAILS"
Go ahead and take a look, you will find them. Go back
around August 8-9. You will find my phone number, address,
email address. ???? Assuming you have not deleted them.

and again - one more time. After 3 weeks from ordering
my engine, as a last resort, the only way to track you down was to call
OMP as I found their products on your website.
I had never called OMP in my life before that.
If I did'nt do that I would still be waiting for my engine.

You must have me confused with someone else.

Anyway, I understand that you are coming to Jacksonville
this weekend. I hope we can get this resloved because
there is more to the OMP story that I have elected not to
bring up in this forum.

See you at the field,

Ron
RC3DR
Jacksonville, Florida
Friend and "EXPERT" for the DubFlyer[8D]

Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 PM
CopperheadAV

Dude,

There is no OMP story and I will caution you now to take care that your information is accurate before you put it out there. You have absolutely no knlowdge of any business agreements between Copperhead and OMP nor is it any of your concern. Every invoice generated by the websites Clearly States at the top Copperhead Aviation / Ohio Model Planes and has for many months??

As to the case half’s, I told your Buddy I working on a more efferent way of assembling the engines, not there was a problem?? Get it straight before you put it out on the web. Sounds to me you have some spare time on your hands and just enjoy stirring the pot. I will continue to address this “insider info” you think you posses if I find it to be inaccurate or just out of touch with what’s going on personally with our business.

Oh, and the see you at the field, I this a threat????

Cheers,

Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Tim,

When you get a chance, drop me a line.

Azhar
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
w5kfg

Tim
I am still looking to hear from you. I purchased an ebay "buy now" Venom 45 from you on 7 Sept. Paypal was sent but no word on my shipment. Is was susposed to be USPS priority mail

Regards
Bill
Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
w5kfg

Tim

I sent you a pm

Bill
Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Gentlemen,

Please direct sales or service inquiries to me at [email protected] or at the regular OMP email from the website or you can call OMP at 937-372-0603 during normal business hours. The phones are usually very busy and will go to voice mail if we can not pick up. Tim and I are dividing our duties to better serve all our customers. We apologize for this transitional period and ask for your patience. Martin, we've received your engine back and will forward to Mark for service, repair, or replacement as required. We'll make it clear in our literature and webpages to do this from now on. Sorry for that confusion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.