Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Venom 45-30

I emailed Mike at OMP to see if he could help us
Old 11-30-2007, 05:12 PM
dubflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I hope very much that Tim will step up to the plate and take care of each of his customers issues with his engines.[:-]

In this business we expect support from vendors and it is more so expected if there are failures of major components. We need ot be reassure that something is being done to correct the problem so as to confirm that we have not thrown out hard earned $$$s on a piece of junk.[:@]

Mark Fuess commented that he has seen some Venom 45 Crankshafts fail also.

I would like to know the following:

a)how many have experienced a broken crankshaft problem.?

b) How has the repair been handle.?

c) After the repair did the engine run again without problems.?

d) Did you sell the engine to someone else after the repair.?

In my oppinion there is a defect in the product and we should be able to get support for a product that is failing with little usage.

We expect when we purchase an New Engine that it is fully tested and has undergone many hrs of rigorous use. In our application we are not putting a high load on the motor and it is way too early for crankshafts to break after only a few tanks of fuel.

I am sure all Venom owners will be very interested in how this issue is resolved.

Looking forward to a favourable outcome from Copperhead Aviation / OMP

Dubflyer
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
hdsoar

Default RE: Copperhead Venom 45

Mine was not a broken crankshaft but a failed upper rod bearing. If you look back through this thread there was at least one other upper rod bearing failure besides mine. Mark replaced the rod bearing, piston, and wrist pin under warranty, but there was a subsequent issue that I tried to get handled but didn't. I'm not saying Tim wouldn't have come through eventually, I just gave up trying to get it done. My time is worth something and I got to the point where I just decided to fix the subsequent issue myself, sell it and move on. I have since sold the engine.

You know where there is smoke, there is fire. There have been just too many issues raised with this engine and the service provided for there not to be some substance. I really wanted to resist posting anything else to this thread. I don't like to see companies/products unfairly bashed. I truly hope that the folks that are currently having troubles get them handled quickly and fairly.

Bob
Old 12-01-2007, 01:52 AM
The Big Kahuna

The old saying is "Dreams are Free" and so it seems it will be with service from Copperhead aviation. Tim is not responding although I bet he has been reading this for some time. The lack of response is a clear indicator that Tim is is trouble and our warranty promises are out the door. I hope I'm wrong, but somehow the lack of response tells me otherwise.
Settle this once and for all GET BACK TO THE FORUM TIM!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: XtremeAerosport

Oh, another question: What carb does the V45 have on it? I found the numbers someplace, but can't put my fingers on 'em now.

Jon
It's a Walbro KNOCK-OFF (RU ING). Most any WT series Walbro works well. A Walbro WT-610 is my preference...
Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
JJTORRANT

That is the solution to the fault of parts to replace the crank to venom 45 , and to the bad service of this company
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89786.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	817773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26158.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	817774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79134.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	817775  
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM
The Big Kahuna

WOW JJTORRANT - that replacement crank is a work of Art!
Do you sell them? and how much do you charge?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
dubflyer

ORIGINAL: JJTORRANT

That is the solution to the fault of parts to replace the crank to venom 45 , and to the bad service of this company
Hi JJTORRANT,

You are obviously a very talanted and capable person to copy the crankshaft of the Venum 45 cc and reproduce it. I do hope yours is only a Monday morning fault and not a disaster awaiting us all.

Seeing that you reproduced the part ..............perhaps we can pursuade you do offer the same for anybody that has the misfortune to need it.

Great looking job and looking forward to reports on how it holds up in the engine.

Dubflyer
Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
dubflyer

Hi JJTORRANT,

You are obviously a very talanted and capable individual to make a reproduction of a crankshaft.

Sad to say that Tim has removed all images of the Venom 45 off his website[:-]

http://www.copperheadaviation.com/co...idCategory=156

Which means that we are left high and dry when it come to a major breakdown of a crankshaft component. [:@]

Looking forward to hearing how the new crankshaft performs in the Venom 45..........or it it now a JJTORRANT 45..??

best wishes and well done.

Dubflyer
Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 45 is still there?
http://www.copperheadaviation.com/co...?idCategory=82
Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
w5kfg

Hi JJTORRANT
Looks like you may have a business going for the V 45 Crank shafts. Yours is machined and not cast like the original. Nice work!!

I am still having problems trying to get hold of Tim. Called him today and only the answering machine. I called a company and they said that they had just got off the phone with him a hour earlier so I called Tim back, guess what? the answering machine. I don't know what I am going to do. I am out 300 some odd dollars.

Dubflyer--- The images are still there under gas engines

Regards
Bill B
Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM
w5kfg

Dubflyer
In answer to you post# 1177. I talked to OMP today and they told me that they don't have anything to do with the warrenty work. They only sell them. Copperhead Aviaition does all the warrenty work. So where does that leave us?

Reghards
Bill B
Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
mfuess

Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
w5kfg

I just got off line with Paypal to file a claim and they said they can't handle that type of claim so $309 for the engine not including numerous long dist. calls. I am highly frustated at this point [>:][][&o]
Bill B
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
w5kfg

ORIGINAL: mfuess

I have one of those...
Mark the pic of your crank shaft is not a cantilevered one and should not fail unless is is an inferior metal. The crank that JJTORRANT had fail is diff. Enlighten me
Bill B
Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
CopperheadAV

Greetings gentlemen,

Since Thanksgiving our web site and email has been down. The website has been restored but I have lost some email. Also, RC is not my full time job. I’m to a Tower hobby, Great Planes or Horizon Hobby. I have to have other sources of income and they lead me to travel a lot. My apologies for the phone calls and emails I missed.

I will address every complaint.

Cheers,
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
hdsoar

JJTORRANT's crankshaft is the same. His is not cantilevered either. The stock ones are a pressed together 3 piece crank. It looks like his will end up being a 4 piece unless he is making the other side also, in which case he will have a 5 piece. I hope his machine work is accurate enough to allow for accurate truing of the crankshaft when pressed together. If so he should be good to go. Nice work there!

Bob
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: hdsoar

JJTORRANT's crankshaft is the same. His is not cantilevered either. The stock ones are a pressed together 3 piece crank. It looks like his will end up being a 4 piece unless he is making the other side also, in which case he will have a 5 piece. I hope his machine work is accurate enough to allow for accurate truing of the crankshaft when pressed together. If so he should be good to go. Nice work there!

Bob
It is excellent work! But it needs balanced assembled and will be heavy, very heavy. It also takes equipment to balance assembled?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 PM
w5kfg

Tim
We are glad that you are back on the forum
Bill B
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: looper123

Just to let people know about my experience with copperhead aviation. I recieved the engine two and a half weeks after I ordered it which is not that big of deal except that I ordered it on oct. 18th and it was supposed to be shipped priority mail which takes three days or less(according to the post office) so it should have been here no later than the 23rd. I called on the 24th nobody answered so I left an Email. I was told it shipped on the 24th. It finally showed up on nov. 2nd and the date on the post office decal on the package said shipped 10/29/07 so thay did not not ship on the 24th like they said. The next problem was that I ordered 1 1/4 stand offs to come with it. They were listed on the packing list in the box but were not there. The bolts that hold the muffler on the engine were missing too. I tried calling every day after recieving the motor and no one will answer the phone so I have left three voice mails with my name, phone number, and my order number and to this day I have not heard back from any one. I have left three emails with all of my information and no one will reply. This kind of problem would be a minor issue with any other company because they would at least answer the phone and try and resolve the issue. The motor has a warranty but if you cant ever talk to someone if it breaks it really doesnt mean much. This is the first time I have ever complained about a company online but these guys have frustrated me to no end. Before I purchased the engine I had a few questions about its dementions and they were quick to email me back but now that they have my money they have washed thier hands of any customer service. I just hope it runs good or I just flushed $380 down the towlet. I would stay far away from company
You received you bolts one day after you posted. If you going to post a complaint, at least post there was a resolution!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
CopperheadAV

Hi all

I had a very bad experience with the Motor Venom 45 and the company that sells this motor COPPERHEADAVIATION

I bought this motor and installed on my plane YAK 54, after the first flight (I’m an experienced pilot) the carburetor parts were loose and

lost, I got the parts for repair and use it again for 2.5 gallons.

Last weekend during my flight the motor started making weird noises and then stalled.

I safely landed my plane and while checking the motor, it was very easy to move by hand with a clank noise..

After all that my friend and my self tried to communicate with copperhead aviation (Tim Folk) by phone, e-mail, messenger and fax

we tried 2 days to contact them with no success (note it was not holiday, neither weekend)

So I decided to open the motor and guess what? The crankcase was broken …

There is not option for me other than throw away the motor or make my crankcase by myself with 4140T steel.. thanks god I have a machine shop.

That is the reason I had this bad experience… judge by yourself.

Regards

JJTORRANT,

You did call and fax me and I got those today. I am sorry but the warranty is clear in that you may not modify the engine. Both mods you did were unnecessary and on were extremely dangerous.

Then Prop Shaft Hub should never be tampered with. Installing pins to assist in keeping the prop from slipping dose two things. We found that adding 2 additional holes in the prop hub for on the required prop would lead it to explode most of the time. I almost crapped my pants a few times during or trials. Further, the placement of the two pins in the prop shaft hub leads to a considerable crankshaft imbalance and vibration.

The second mod you did was a crank case breather, why????? If you bored through the crank case, how did you get the debris out? The only way is to dissemble the engine. This needs to be done with care. The crank needs to be PULLED through the front bearing not pressed or it will lead to the failure you pictured. This takes a jig I designed.

Dude, I will send you a new crank if you want, but you’re a bit over the top on this one and on your own. I noticed you took pics of broken pieces but not your mods??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78801.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	817946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96366.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	817947  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: dubflyer

I hope very much that Tim will step up to the plate and take care of each of his customers issues with his engines.[:-]

In this business we expect support from vendors and it is more so expected if there are failures of major components. We need ot be reassure that something is being done to correct the problem so as to confirm that we have not thrown out hard earned $$$s on a piece of junk.[:@]

Mark Fuess commented that he has seen some Venom 45 Crankshafts fail also.

I would like to know the following:

a)how many have experienced a broken crankshaft problem.?

b) How has the repair been handle.?

c) After the repair did the engine run again without problems.?

d) Did you sell the engine to someone else after the repair.?

In my oppinion there is a defect in the product and we should be able to get support for a product that is failing with little usage.

We expect when we purchase an New Engine that it is fully tested and has undergone many hrs of rigorous use. In our application we are not putting a high load on the motor and it is way too early for crankshafts to break after only a few tanks of fuel.

I am sure all Venom owners will be very interested in how this issue is resolved.

Looking forward to a favourable outcome from Copperhead Aviation / OMP

Dubflyer
In my opinion, there is no defect in the product. I have seen no huge out poor of complaints that make this thread throb, sorry man! I will give you this info: Retail we have sold over 400 V45"s and wholesale world wide over 300 so that’s 700 v45's in 2007. Humm, 5 or 6 complaints, I think we are doing well. Ask my buddy Mark! The people who have problems post here, the people who don’t could give a ****. If you were on a DA thread you wouldn’t ask this because you know better. You give me no deference because you know im small. As far as running the engines in, I’m the only on who dose 6hr?? Call DA and ask how long they run theirs in for.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: The Big Kahuna

The lack of response is a clear indicator that Tim is is trouble and our warranty promises are out the door.
You need to prove this from your own experience. Do you have a warranty issue??
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: w5kfg

I just got off line with Paypal to file a claim and they said they can't handle that type of claim so $309 for the engine not including numerous long dist. calls. I am highly frustated at this point [>:][][&o]
Bill B

I called you 6 times since I got back?? I have an internet phone, I can give up my call logs if you want? I was calling you as you were posting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.