Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

what gas engine to replace OS 1.20 four stroke?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

what gas engine to replace OS 1.20 four stroke?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 AM
faceman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what gas engine to replace OS 1.20 four stroke?

I have an older cap 21 plane that i was thinking of putting back in the air. I long ago sold off the os 1.20 fs that it had in it. Looking to see what gas engine would replace it size and power wise. I was thinking a 20 or 30 cc gas but not sure if that is right. Also the plane has a low wing mount with no top hatch. Would this present a problem for the gas engine install? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been playing around with a DLE-20 and an OS GT 22. I feel that either engine would work in your situation.

Don't believe a top hatch would be making much difference for you. All that you would be doing is swapping out engine and gas tank, plus adding an ignition battery.

Personally, I would have kept the OS 1.20 as once again, personally I don't see much performance difference between that OS and the gas engines that you are considering.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the planes weight and what kind of performance you are looking for. A 20cc should give scale flight, a 26cc a little more performance and if it fits, a 30cc would be fun !
The wing attachment lack of hatch is not important. Make sure you change the tanks stopper and lines to a gas friendly type. Don't forget ignition battery, ignition switches, and opto switches as well,
I continue to change out my 60 size planes and up over to gasoline. Operating costs are way less and performance is still there provided the right engine is selected. Good luck.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 01-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:05 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saito 30FG ofcourse :-)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bo-SAIEG30B#t2
Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If all out performance is not required (it is shouldn't be on an older plane) the Valley View 20cc or the DLE 20cc is a good choice. It would also be an easy fit. Both use beam type mounts like a glow engine where the DLE30 uses stand off type mounts. The 30cc is also much larger externally.

david
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My DLE 20 turns a 16 / 8 faster than my Saito 150 does
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
faceman

Guys thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I wanted to try gas cause of the cheaper operating expense and I really hate the nitro residue. That more than the nitro costs drive me nuts. Looks like it'll be a 26 or 30 if I can stuff it in. Ah who needs a cowl anyway!! LOL
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced an OS 120 FS with a DLE 20 in a VQ 60 size Hurricane. The DLE 20 turned the same prop 500 more rpm than the OS, not that the plane needed the extra power. I had a 91 Magnum FS in the Hurricane. I had to add lead weight and a heavy hub to balance. The 91 developed problems as in not worth fixing. Then I discovered that the 120 weight the same as the 91, lead wtg and heavy hub. Well, no use hauling around dead weight when you can have cubic inches. I have converted the entire fleet to electric or gas. No more glow. When I installed the DLE 20 I mounted both the receiver and ignition Nimh batteries in the cowling for cg purposes. Now with gas planes that don't need the battery weight up front, I have started to use Life 6.6 v 1100ma batteries, one for the receiver and one for the ignition with a 5v regulator for the ignition. This reduces the battery weight by half and help keep the weight of the gas conversions down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ Hurricane w-120 030.jpg
Views:	2098
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	1957501   Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ Hurricane w-120 010.jpg
Views:	2107
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	1957502   Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ Hurricane w-120 011.jpg
Views:	2207
Size:	706.3 KB
ID:	1957503  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by RBean
I replaced an OS 120 FS with a DLE 20 in a VQ 60 size Hurricane. The DLE 20 turned the same prop 500 more rpm than the OS, not that the plane needed the extra power. I had a 91 Magnum FS in the Hurricane. I had to add lead weight and a heavy hub to balance. The 91 developed problems as in not worth fixing. Then I discovered that the 120 weight the same as the 91, lead wtg and heavy hub. Well, no use hauling around dead weight when you can have cubic inches. I have converted the entire fleet to electric or gas. No more glow. When I installed the DLE 20 I mounted both the receiver and ignition Nimh batteries in the cowling for cg purposes. Now with gas planes that don't need the battery weight up front, I have started to use Life 6.6 v 1100ma batteries, one for the receiver and one for the ignition with a 5v regulator for the ignition. This reduces the battery weight by half and help keep the weight of the gas conversions down.
The Tech Aero IBEC will reduce battery weight down to half. One less battery (the ignition) and half the battery maintenance requirements. The safety features of the TA IBEC is worth the money (40 bucks). Off subject but may be worth something to some......
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MTK, I'll keep that in mind on other aircraft. The Hurricane need the weight up front anyway. Do you think a 1100mah Life would be enough for both ignition and radio on a 60-120 size warbird? With flap, retracts etc?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 AM
faceman

Guys I'm looking at costs to get this old bird in the air. Looks to me like around 400 more I could get a new redwing Sback 30CC and have all new stuff. Just trying to see where my money is best spent. Thanks for all the replies. Anyone have good or bad experience with redwing RC?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by faceman
Guys I'm looking at costs to get this old bird in the air. Looks to me like around 400 more I could get a new redwing Sback 30CC and have all new stuff. Just trying to see where my money is best spent. Thanks for all the replies. Anyone have good or bad experience with redwing RC?
No experience with red wing, but, I do have experience with "Morphing". You start with the question about gas engine equal to OS 1.20. Then move to the idea that you should just go 30cc.

I just bought a used DLE 20 from a guy in the club for 125$. So at this type of option it is practicallly a drop in for a OS 1.20 ( I dropped in a DLE 20 where a Saito 100 was). Done.

The point being that the servos power and radio weren't touched and all worked well with this new engine.
To do a nice RedWing 30cc setup your going to have to do everything new. Cost 1000 bucks maybe.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM
daveopam

I am working on a new 35cc airframe. Everything new is costing about $1200 minus the TX.

You really should start a new thread though if you want to know about Rewing. You will get more reply's. Or do a search and see what threads are out there.

David
Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by RBean
MTK, I'll keep that in mind on other aircraft. The Hurricane need the weight up front anyway. Do you think a 1100mah Life would be enough for both ignition and radio on a 60-120 size warbird? With flap, retracts etc?
I use LiPO and regulator to drop voltage down to 6.2 or so for all airborne equipment. LiFe with a nom voltage of around 6.6 (or around 7.3 on a full charge) might need a Vreg or might not, not sure.

Regardless, Battery capacity should be around 2000ma to run 6-7 std size (not mini or micro) and power (at least 100 in-ounces and 0.15 sec) digital servos plus the ignition, if one wants to fly around 5 flights at 15 minutes each (75 mins total for the day, which is a bunch). If you fly less per day, less capacity will be required. If you fly more, then more is needed.

In my planes, the LiPO starts at 8.4V fully charged and ends at around 7.55V where I stop flying. Sure I can get one more in but the voltage of the LiPO will drop quickly after 7.4 volts are reached and there's no point in messing with a perfectly good LiPO. Some say that you can drive a LiPo to 3.5 volts per cell and be okay but I wouldn't do it. I stop when voltage drops to just over its nominal rated voltage of 3.7 volts per cell.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
faceman

Sorry guys kinda hacked my own thread here didn't I. I really appreciate all the insight though. Its great that the DLE 20 would be a drop in but I failed to mention that this CAP21 is just an airframe with nothing else in it. SO looking at motor, fuel tank plumbing, servos, Rec., etc. My thought was to just go new and spend a little more and have something up to date. I would love to see this old CAP in the air though as it's not only an oldie but has some serious sentimental value to me. Kind of kick myself if I wrecked it though, but then again planes were meant to fly and not sit and collect dust. Again I appreciate all the insight and I'll just have to make a decision on where my bucks are spent the best. Take Care.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM
daveopam

In that case I would go new. There is so much out there in the 30-35cc range and it is so much lighter than the old stuff. I have some oldies but goodies in my hanger also. I have thought about converting a few to gas. What stopped me is once the nostalgia wore off, how often would I take them to the field? To answer my own question not very often. Like you, I would hate to stuff one and the new stuff just flat flys better for what I like to do.

David
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM
faceman

David it sounds like we are thinking along the same lines. I believe that is the direction I'm going to head. I'll just keep this old balsa bird for a display. Thanks for helping me make the right choice.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM
flyinwalenda

I don't think you have to relegate it to a display . Look around for a used Zenoah G23 for a few bucks ,slap it in there and have some fun while you are building a new plane.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 AM
dadragon

I never run ignition and radio on the same batt.I use the 2300 ma 6 volt on both with no problem.just a thought.