Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

anyone using the BCMA 42-pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
djt294

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using the BCMA 42-pro?

Hi,
Is anyone running the BCMA 42 pro? Any comments or advice? Are these engines just rebadged chinese engines? What is the value added by BCMA as far as the engine itself is concerned (I think the electronic ignition is from BCMA, I wondering if thats the only difference).

thanks,
djt294
Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: anyone using the BCMA 42-pro?

I have a suggestion. Just buy the engine and do a review. Put the engine on your plane and fly it and give us a report on how it performs.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
joseph.batson

I've had one for about a year, didn't get it through BCMA though. Runs good, some vibration in the midrange, nothing too bad. I have mine on a Skyshark Christian Eagle and flies it good.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
djt294

Thanks for the reply,
I did some more research and believe it is most likely an MT-42. I think that BCMA just resells it without doing anything to it (balancing crank....). I think I'm be taking a chance on it (chinese quality control), but I'm new to gas. It is probably a good platform to learn
Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: djt294

believe it is most likely an MT-42. I think that BCMA just resells it .................. It is probably a good platform to learn
Yes, it's a MT42. I have one, so far I just test ran it to set the carb, runs well, does have that shake in lower rpms, but all single cylinder engines have shake most shake just above idle, this is a little higher, no problem. Mine is going in a Celmark S2 Pitts. Casting quality is very good seems to be well made, it started easy, tuned straight forward with out a problem. I ran mine with a 20x8, I wish I could tell you the rpms, but if I don't right it down right then I don't remember, getting old is a *****.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
djt294

Rich,
Good to hear. I'm thinking about building a Ryans Rebel and putting it on that. When you say the shake is a little higher I assume you mean its higher in the rpm range and not higher in the magnitude. I'm new to gas and do not have a reference point for what would be considered "tolerable(no airframe fatigue)" vibration.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: djt294

When you say the shake is a little higher I assume you mean its higher in the rpm range
Yes. That plane will fly well with the 42. When you build it just make sure you put some tri-stock in the nose and I would glass the nose back to the LG to make it take a rough landing a little better.