Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New 3W 85xi

Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
shakeelsid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 3W 85xi

Ralph, I cant argue with you.

Yes there are some bad examples - I hate Bing carb - I had a few on my Rotaxs. I also remember ordering the first 3W motor 20 odd years ago - I was used to to Limbach, and there I sat looking at the strange looking castings on 3W , shaking my head and thinking this is one company which is not gonna make it.

I am certain you know what you are talking about, my comment was rather generic in nature.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Buzzed

DA's reputation for superior #1 customer service didn't get this way without having to fix a boat load of motors. Everybody rants and raves about DA's customer service. Sounds like a lot of fixin" going on..They all break...and so do rubber bands
Old 03-06-2007, 07:25 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ASK THE MAN WHO OWNS ONE

what brand car once used this as their motto/slogan.?
can you buy one today?
In cars - ask the man who sells used ones - THEN you get a far better idea of real value.
In model engines - same thing applies.
talk to those who have used various brands and repaired them .
Some engines simply don't work for certain applications -that is a different thing.
A BMW is a poor school bus but a Lamborghini is a fine tractor!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Europeans need to send their prints to Enya in Japan. Then the manufacturing quality might equal the design quality.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Packard...
There aren't any Deusenbergs left either...Except in the ACD museum in Auburn, Indiana..A must see for anyone in the area...
FWIW, I have a Limbach 275 ultralight twin here in a box...Nothing fantastic there either, solid crank, two piece rods with loose rollers, Stihl 090 cylinders....
Old 03-07-2007, 02:55 AM
wifpwcf

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

I have a question...please this is NOT a troll so don't flame me...

Why is it that people are so excited and enthralled about a DA-85 announcement and not so about the 3W.

I own a DA-50 and know that their service is legendary and the engine is awesome. But I also own a BMW M3 and realize that german engineering is in a different league.

Thanks.
plain & simple here it is...
THE WAR[X(] ,, SORRY YOU ASKED I TELL[X(].
german engineering is in a different league thats right.
in australia we got great service with 3w,the dealer looks after us 3w pilots the same as da does,
i have not seen a 3w motor hurt its self & cant be fixed ,I have seen many DA break & they could never be fixed[&:]
so they replace the motor & DA is still a new company still so they should have great service or they would be doomed

CG
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ach Du Lieber!
I just had a friend call about his 3W- which runs very hot on one side -cold on the other -
after we went thru the usual -"check this/ do that " He pulled it down and found two different pistons -and two different ring thicknesses
Maybe that was not the cause for the temp problem but the ""set up of the month club" on these is a bit daunting.
SuperTigre once was king of the "carb of the month club"-- but 3W certianly has the a variety of engines which all seem to be the same --at first glance--
I lost track -
Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

ANYTHING can be fixed by replacing enough parts..Been there with many different brands...
3W engines are no exception.....
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

I think my question is misunderstood...I am not implying that since 3W is german made, it is perfect. No engine is. All I am trying to figure out is why people are so excited about the DA-85 and there is not that much interest in the 3W-85.
Also, before the DA-85 was even announced people spent months speculating and waiting for a DA-75 when the ZDZ-80 was available...why ?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

They sure do have a following don't they

They are a very good company, so I guess I should not make my Jim Jones comment
Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not a rah-rah DA guy and they may be overrated, but my DA100 is one fine engine. The others (3W, ZDZ, etc.) may be too, I just don't happen to own one.

I couldn't comment on service, never had to use it.

Larry (just calll me lucky!)
Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Flip and Fly

I like my 3W 80xi over my ZDZ 80 RV just because I find that it's more user friendly and does not flood as easy.

The little Allen key that holds the spark plug boot on the ZDZ almost lost me a plane when it came loose at a bad time. Yes I do lock tight it on but it still slipped off. Once was to much for me. I drilled out a second screw to be safe, not a big deal but why not go with a clip on arrangement. Better setup I think.

Also I wish ZDZ would do away with 4mm prop bolts and go with 5mm. A little more robust and don't strip the heads so often[:@]

Good engineering, maybe.

I wish 3W would make a better mounting setup for the 80xi. not much clearance and having to add a mounting plate is kind of pointless, but I got it done without having to use it, but it was a pain all the same.

A motor that has caused me no grief, my little Brison 2.4

Just my observations.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Does anyone know if the new 3W-85 will have the same mounting pattern as the old 3W-75TS.

Thanks.