Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Did a little flying and tweaking on the needles today. I have flown both carbs and blocks. I have NOT done the mod to the new carb though. I can set my needles so that 99% percent of any noticeable change with AOA is gone. The big but,,,, I re-installed my on board temp unit and when set as such the temps rise higher than I would like (it never sagged though)....So,, if you do "NOT" have the modification done to your carb you definitely will have some richening or increased temps and if your density altitude is high it's gonna be worse. MY first series carb (WGA) did not seem to exhibit the characteristics of the VII (WB) carb. Again, mine has not gone through modifications Keith recommends.
I am waiting to go flying with altavillan, he might have something, although I never noticed his engine running rich or stumbling at any AOA before, then again he runs cans.

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

will a tilotsen fit without any mods?
Too my knowledge yes.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I got an email back from rcign, he said the tilotsen from the 150/157 will work, so going to track one of those down and give it a shot.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM
RTK

Definitely let us know how it works out razrback.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 AM
PATRICKP

The 4 test kits will be ready to ship in 3-4 days.

1 more test pilot postion is open.

You must have the right experience working on the engines to be considered.

And be in the geographic location @ 3000' -2000' ASL SW OR NORTH near Canada.

This will cover most aspects of elevation.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 AM
PATRICKP

Kits are almost done. need those disclosures back ASAP for you to get the test kit.

Make sure you do the training and engine/fuel set ups.

Then the kit install 2-3 hrs est time and tuning set up is easy.

Make sure things are right !

Then you'll be - WOW!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patric,
If you still have a kit I will sign a disclosure and test on a moded V-2 carb 115.
Certainly north near Canada, lots of engine experience.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM
PATRICKP

The kits are done.

Soon as the disclosure come back here. I will send the kit too the test/review people.

They will ship by UPS. 1 or 2 day air

remenber when you were a kid, sending in for the free offer, and have to wait 6-8 weeks in anticipation for it to arrive.
NOT THIS TIME !

Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 AM
PATRICKP

KITS The first kit will ship today when UPS picks up here at 11-12 am.

it goes to Colorado @ 5,000 ASL

Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a quick note, we put 6 more flights on the 115 this weekend and have the needles set about right now. There is very little burble in the mid range and the power is excellent. Its been very reliable so far and this is with the updated carb and stuffed reed block. There is no more burble in the mid than any other 100cc engine I've owned and even less than some. This is an incredible motor for the 100cc class planes!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 PM
meanrudder
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: Steve

Just a quick note, we put 6 more flights on the 115 this weekend and have the needles set about right now. There is very little burble in the mid range and the power is excellent. Its been very reliable so far and this is with the updated carb and stuffed reed block. There is no more burble in the mid than any other 100cc engine I've owned and even less than some. This is an incredible motor for the 100cc class planes!
What setup do you have steve?
Carb mod and what is a stuffed reed block?
Jim
Old 09-17-2007, 08:36 PM
RTK

Stuffing the reed block is putting wedges (etc) to decrease the open area and prevent fuel from puddling in "that" area, IF and only if there is puddling will this work.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
altavillan

Steve If you don't mind pass on your set up specs. Ie. Exhaust, Plane type, Baffling, Intake air filter? Diaphram tube length, Prop and rpm's, etc.

Suggest you watch for over heating if you do a lot of wot runs.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Steve

Right now the motor is on a Hanger 9 Extra 330. No baffeling. The stock muffers are being used and the carb plate exits the cowl, so there is no tube or cover. The motor rockets this plane verticle so its not at wide open very often, but it is right there when needed. Low idle and advancing has also been good so far. This carb has the mod that Keith has posted for the low speed and it does have the stuffed reed block that is also posted. The prop is a 27 X 10 and I can't remember what it tached at. We'll have it out again once the hinges are replaced on the plane. The rudder hinges broke so all are getting replaced.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 AM
PATRICKP

JUST MAKE SURE THE ENGINE RUNS ON KE AND INVERTED WITH OUT LOSS OF RPMS @ 1/4 THRU 3/4 RANGES DO A INVERTED SPIN ENTRY @ LANDING IDLE RPM
SPIN 3 OR 4 TIMES INVERTED AT TRUE IDLE. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DO THAT ?

YOU NEED TO TEST ALL POSTION FLYING WITH A SETUP.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 AM
altavillan

Patrick, Capitol letters means you are yelling. Do you mean to yell at us or did you drop a hammer on your foot. Maybe you should start your own post so those who do not particularly enjoy your abundance of good humor do not have to.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Steve

There was a lot of inverted flying and a couple of flat spins. I don't think Ron pulled off a blender yet. I'll ask him. The blender is the test in my opinion. The knife edge was good also. This plane and engine combo doesn't need much throtle for knife edge.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
flyinrazrback

FYI guys, the Vess 28As are now available from Vess, this was the best prop I ran on my 115, so you might give it a look.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

flyinrazrback,
Did you ever try the tillison carb?

Jim
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

flyinrazrback,
Did you ever try the tillison carb?

Jim
I did, it is better than a "UN"-modified WB, but not as good as the WGA in my experience. I have not yet tried the Modified WB, but will be trying a 3 needle carb shortly. I had no problems with the WGA when it was finally dialed in, but at WOT it was a tad leaner than I would have liked. The modified carb or 3 needle carb "should" work fine.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
flyinrazrback

Hamm, never got to try the tilotsen. The 115 belonged to a friend and he basically gave up and went for reliabilty and bought a DA.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:35 AM
PATRICKP

KITS Second kit went to south east state of Ga.

Have fun!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Well, I guess I'm the first one to receive one of Patrick's kits. I have to say, I'm impressed with it. I signed a non-disclosure, so don't even ask what it is. I'm not going to say anything about what it is. I will give you my results after testing it though. Now that I've seen it, I have high hopes. I think it will probably work very well.

It's going to be a week or two before I can test it. We are having one of the biggest warbird events in the country at my flying field this weekend. I don't think they will want an aerobatic plane out there. :-)
Plus I'm still waiting for my new rudder (my original one was damaged after yet another BME 115 dead stick). This one happened on take off with no airspeed and no altitude and no where to go. Fortunately, the rudder is all that was damaged. The new rudder is coming from Germany so it is taking a little while.

I'll let you guys know how Patrick's fix works out. I am very impressed with the kit I received.

Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

New owner first look at the BME 115

This thread started out as a field report thread and like a lot of first time buyers I used this thread to help me make the decision on whether or not I should buy the BME 115. BME has some real fans and some others that have had real issues. The carburetor issue which takes up most of the posts was a big concern. However, a I did notice that a lot of people have dad no issues with their carburetor or have gotten past the problem.

My new motor was delivered 3 weeks ago. When I picked up the UPS box my first thought was that they forget to put a motor in here, the box was that light. My 3-W 60 weighs more. I know this is not news but when you pick this motor up for the first time its still a surprise how little it weighs. The motor is a work of art, everything that could be done to save weight has been done.

I decided to bench run this motor because frankly I wanted to see how it started and how it transitioned to high RPM. Not a great idea but I needed to know.

Set up was MSC 28 X 12 prop, Chevron regular gas and Lawn Boy at 32 to 1. I used stainless headers from 3W and a pair of 20oz collector cans to reduce the bark. Carburetor was the Walbro 2 needle.

We did 4 short test runs of two minutes each. Starting the motor was easy, restarts were also no problem. Idle was around 1300 rpm and the run up was smooth with a constant increasing of the RPM. No midrange burbles. High RPM on the first run was only about 4500 for just 15 seconds. By the 4th run the RPM was at 5000. Each run showed a higher top end. The motor ran rich at all times and we never changed the factory settings. Cylinder temperatures were close together about 25 degrees apart with the forward cylinder running cooler than the back cylinder.

Now that I have seen this motor run my first impression is that it’s a winner. I don’t see any carburetor issues with mine. It started, transitioned and ran as reliably as my 3-W did when I bench tested that motor. I will switch to a 27x10 prop, mount this motor to the Pitts Special that I am scratch building and fly the heck out of it.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

TonyC,

I am interested to hear what your results are going to be. I was thinking of this motor in my Frank Knoll CE 2 kit. Its lightweight and more powerful when it does run correctly.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Need some help. I got the new carb and ran the 115 with the new carb with sucsess 2 weekends ago. Only had time for 2 flights and didnt do anything much more than fly it around putting a little time on a brand new motor. Last weekend I had it out and had nothing but trouble. It would idle and transition well on the ground. In flight it ran fine on the low end but when I pulled to a vertical it seemed to lean out horribly and almost die. I richened the high end 3 or 4 times so much so that it would litterally bog when it tried to unload straight and level and it still near died on a vertical climb. Even a 45 would make it drop way off. My last flight I actually went a little leaner than the original setting and it was better especially straight and level and was a bit better on the vertical but still leaned where I couldnt do much at all until it wanted to die. Im kinda at a loss. Should I try richening the low end?. keep in mind on the ground it spools great and runs up great. It does surge up and down a little sitting at idle. I did have the carb sense line run back into the fuselage on a tube. I have replaced the stock china tank and fittings with dubro stuff and taken the line off the carb ( the nipple goes up under the cowl lip and is not exposed to direct air) any ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.