Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Well if it ran fine the first time out something has happened. Did you change the tank out after or before this last outing??? I would check the screen, make sure all is in order with the carb. The modifing tube is still there and all bolts are tight with no air leaks.
    When tuning the modified carb you almost have to go opposite of normal needle setting. The low needs to be richer and the high leaner, I know it sounds back wards, but believe me it works much better that way. The low on this carb has little to no affect on midrange, but the high sure does. Slowly start leaning the high and richening the low. You will find the sweet spot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It does sound like a fuel restriction issue some where in the system. Do what RTK said. Your clunk line may be at fault also.
    AKA,, \"The Spleen\"
    If you want to see my Super Power,,, pull my finger.
    CubBrotherhood #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tonyc,
    I wish you continued success, but be aware that my engine has always run good on the ground and always run bad in the air.
    Just because your engine ran good on the ground doesn't mean you won't have any problems. Be careful and keep some altitude until you know for sure.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim, you are right on the ground is not the same as in the air. With my 3-W 60 I had about 6 dead stick landings. It was never the fault of the engine, I just didn't have it dialed in and it took a few tries. Good luck testing the "Patrick fix". I hope that his product is a real break through and that everyone benifits from it. What I have noticed reading a lot of posts is that a lot of people have had carburator problems and have gotten past them. But not everyone has meet with success. Good luck on yours

Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Smallfly....Are you running a breather tube from the diaphram plate.?.Mine did that exact thing one time and it was becasue I had the hose fromt he tube too small...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew it several more flights today. the new tank, no breather tube etc had no effect. BUT what seems to be making it better is continual leaning on the high end. every flight today I leaned it more. On the last flight the thing had so much power on the ground it litterally lifted itself off the ground while being held. Kinda surprised me and my holder. It's doing much better on the verticals but still stumbling off if entered too slowly and too much thottle applied during the vertical. It screams on the ground but still seems to be very rich in the air and Im WELL below 1 turn on the high needle now. Like others Ive read it stumbles going into KE and some inverted. Never had a engine carb combo act like this and of course on this engine especially continuing to go lean makes me nervous but it's the only thing that seems to be making it better
    Big Fish in a Small Pond

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SMALLFLY,
    You want to get the high end a little on the lean side and the low end a little on the rich side. This is where we've had our best results anyway.
    We ended up at about 3/4 turn out on the high end needle, and 2 turns out on the low end needle. This is where the engine seemed to run best. Unfortunately, this will allow you to fly around in circles and that's about it. Once you start trying some manuevers, the engine will start burbling, sagging, and/or dieing.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

An update on the motor up here in Idaho. The plane flew 3 more times today. The low end was leaned a little more, as was the high end needle. Ron did some flat spins and blenders at idle with the plane and the motor just kept on ticking. The mid range still is a little raspy, but all the twins I've been around are the same. The motor performed very well now that it is tuned right. The thrust was checked and its pulling about 44 lbs of thrust on the ground at 5000 feet above sea level with a 27 X 10 prop, and we think its still a little rich on the top end, but not bad at all.
    AKA,, \"The Spleen\"
    CubBrotherhood #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the update. I just ordered a 3W 27X10 prop to break in my BME 115. The 28X12 I used for a quick bench test was just the wrong propeller. I must build faster so that I can see what that motor will do in the air.

Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tony,
    what plane are you putting the engine in?
    AKA,, \"The Spleen\"
    CubBrotherhood #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its a scratch built Pitts Special, 80 inch wing span, Pitts Red Bull scheme in all red. I am about 2 months away from done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to test an experimental 3 needle carb tomorrow if the wind is not too bad as it was today I am not too good at landings when winds are at 20 knots 90*

No update. I received an early morning call which canceled my test flights. But,,,,I did get to run it in my backyard that afternoon. Seems to be good, the flights in the air will tell for sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My latest 115 mod to make it a dependable engine was tested this last Sunday. First flight the carb was a bit rich, so after a few minutes of flight I landed refueled and reset the needles a little tighter. Second flight, ran my normal 14 minute flight to measure fuel usage. It used the same amount fuel as the old setup and seamed to sound lean on the high end so I refueled and opened the high 1/4 turn. Third flight, snap at takeoff climb to 1500' ag, cut to 1100 rpm idle and tumble to the deck. Climb back up and tumble at 1/4 throttle to the deck same results, no problems whatso ever. After a 14 minute flight of flopping it around every witch way I landed and was happy to put about 1.6 oz. more fuel in the tank than before the mods without No AOA diaphram issues, just a nice dependable running engine.

To learn what mods it took to make the 115 a super running engine it will cost someone $17,000.00 (I wouldn't want to undercut PATDICKS $16,000.00 offer knowing full well mines better.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t put the bullet in the fire and you quit talking about my mother! \"Cosby, Shop Class, 1968 or so\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would make it a round 20,000

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea. You are probably right it took me all day to make it. Have to have a decent proffit.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t put the bullet in the fire and you quit talking about my mother! \"Cosby, Shop Class, 1968 or so\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Altavillan...For real...WHat did you do? Let us in please...[&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know the secret, I know the secret!! I also know another secret about a BME fix that RTK has! neener, neener, neener... I'll let them share after they have all the profitability fun. Altavillan will give the rights to the secret to anyone that will pay off his hobby use credit cards[8D]
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Someone better have a line to Bill Gates

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys please!! I did not start this thread for these kind of games here. At least on this thread the intent was to get feedback on the 115 motor from folks who have been running/own it and to SHARE ideas. Please, don't try to ruin the essence of this thread. Any of you trying to cash in on this please take it elsewhere, if you want to share your ideas/comments please do so otherwise ther are other places on the RCU you can advertise.

Thanks
    Fly and let fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$80.00 for the fix is a far cry from $16k or 20k thet can't even add a few numbers.

You must not want everyone to get the engine in running order for all to enjoy.

So what are they doing here but making trouble?

The real issue here is getting eveyone that has this 115 engine fixed.

Not just picking at Patrick.

What is going to happen here is the above persons will be band from the RCU site.

They took Kris Welter out only because he is right most of the time and you guys couldn't see it. Put Kris back on this site.

He views on the problem engine were in the right pew but the wrong Church.
    His ideas were considered also in the development of this fix, for the engine.
    But not used.

Kris Welter,

Thanks for you input ! It was considered also.

Others above not supportive in the the low cost fix of $ 80.00 I wish you luck many times over. (NOT)

All other engines run on a 2 needle carb. Why won't this engine? Cause it won't untill the real issues were fixed.
    Designs that were missing.

Everyone of us here, should not have had to mess with the engine this much!
    It took over half the summer to fix it and I am happy about now. Others above it must be eating them up!

Who and what is the real issue?

Regards,
    Patrick

PS
    RCU moderators you make the call on Roy, RTK, Altav.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your words sir. 200 kits ordered at $80.00 per kit is $16,000.00

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can we just work on trying to get this engine to run right and quit making fun of each other?

I, for one, am very frustrated after messing with this engine all year and getting nowhere so far.

altavillan, do you want to share what you did to get yours to run good?

Thanks, Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is sad, This site is about modelers helping modelers. If I developed a cheap easy fix to a known problem I would share it with everyone else. Why profit off of others mis-fortune. I mean if you are on here to sell a product then go to the marketplace, If you are on here to share experience and Ideas than share. It is likely that these for sale fixes will void your warranty.
    when inverted down=up and up=$$

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know Altavillan and RTK personally. I also know that before they publicize their findings and the methods they want to be absolutely certain that waht they share will be effective at least 98% of the time. The last 2% is for the newbies that will screw anything up

To put a method or part out there as working perfectly, then finding problems later, puts everone right back to the beginning after spending money and making changes that proved fruitless. Be patient for a few more days. Both guys (Altavillan & RTK) have to work for a living, own their own businesses, and cannot devote 100% of their time to solving everyone's problems. Both devote as much time and effort as they have available to making this thing work. Both will jump in here with their results, methods used, and parts changed as soon as final determinations have been made. One weekend of flying does not make for conclusive evidence. There are changes made all the time in engine designs and products with more than 60,000 flight hours on them in order to improve the design and make them more reliable. One day or weekend is not enough testing at all.

As to whose product or method will be the least expensive, require the most work, or be the most effective, I don't care nor have a clue. All I know is that I'm in the same boat everyone else is and have been waiting a long time to safely fly my 115. I don't have the time for all the experimentation either, so I'm truly looking forward to any fix or change that provides me with a safe, light, powerful, and reliable engine. I'm pretty sure that neither RTK nor Altavillan will want anythying more than a thank you when all is said and done unless a specific part has to be made and they are the only ones that could do it. I don't see it happening that way either.

For sure three of us are having a little fun with the blatant marketing ploy being used here in the 115 thread. $1.00 or $100.00, if there's a price to it, it's marketing. I know that the 115 will run just fine on a 2 needle carb. There IS NO deficiency or lack of required parts.

Now if anyone wants to ban people for having a little fun and telling the truth then some of us may not want to be here anyway. If anyone wants people banned because they may be interfering with their free advertising and marketing, then that's another story. Yes this thread is all about finding and fixing issues with the 115. It's not about finding a way to turn a profit on it.

Patrick Roy
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Spoken Pat

I found the Fix for My 110! And I'll Share it for free

I flipped the reed block 180 degrees so the weep holes ligned up and WALA It runs great...

Everyone who read this please deposit $1000 into my paypal account.

Just Kidding...LOL
    when inverted down=up and up=$$

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast