Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Ron's plane just has the two needle carb with the midrange mod,,smaller port tube,, and a stuffed reed block. Its been working very well the last few times out. Even slow inverted and knife edge. No Patrick fix on this one.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of exhaust does Ron have?

Jim
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Steve

He is running stock mufflers.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

What's a stuffed reed block?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28575.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	783563  
Old 10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Looks like two wood plugs are place in side the block to take up space. Reduce fuel builf up? The lower wood plug is larger than the upper one in the picture. Is there a science to this or how do you determine the correct size?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Steve

The plugs are the same size. They just need to be fuel proofed or you can make some out of fuel resistant materials. The plane flew another three flights again today with no hickups. It just ran, and ran strong.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 PM
jst

To the other testers of PATRICKP, (HAMMBONE is waiting for a rudder), any testing results to share with us?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrickp has graciously offered his kit to me, and I would love to test one out and report back here.
The problem for me is that the kit is for the older wga carb. Patrickp has also offered to loan me a carb for testing but I would need to move around the throttle & choke servos and of course buy a old carb and the kit if it all works out.

Tony, Steve, I used plastic pulgs in my read block and it really didn't make much difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77525.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	784681  
Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Observation! When I look at post #880 by RTK and post #884 by Wings-RCU the blocks look like they are larger in Wings-RCU picture. If the block are there to reduce fuel pooling could a larger block reduce the pooling too much? Both of you are re-desiging the carb block to work in a different way. Could reducing the size a small amount on Wings-RCU block give him a better set up? Just a thought.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
PATRICKP

So what happened to this thread? AKA as finding the fix for the 115 engine.

The testers have gotten lost in the clouds or in the triangle and do not have IFR to find a place to land.

Or they may have been captured by the enemy.

All owners are due the real fix and the right answers.

Let them know how the kit works and who should buy or supply the fix to the owners.

Mine works very well and yours can too.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Rocky V.
My Feedback: (25)

Hey Patrick: just to clarify, will your fix work on the original carb with the tall reed block as well as the others ? I'm waiting patiently to see what the testers think and if it works out (and I sure hope it does), how the ordering process is going to be handled. If it works it will save me from getting tuned pipes/headers as Kris recommends. The pipes are fine, but we don't have noise restrictions currently so I'd rather run compact mufflers to save a little weight if possible.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
PATRICKP

As far as I can tell it won't matter what carb you are using I do have both kits for old vs new carb that came on the engines.

The engine ran poor/same with both carbs and the kit made the problem go away.

If you have the wga9a carb I do have a kit ready for that too.

It is not a carbkit.

It has nothing to do with the carbs at all.

Although having a tuned exhaust system will make more power overall.

The shorter the headers the more fussy things are to tune, for overall rpm ranges
short headers are for max rpm top end power.
The longer the header, they will make more low to mid range power. and are easier to tune.
With stock exhaust you have no header length. more pulses as explained by Kris.

So anyway you should be able to make run engine well, maybe not the very best but it should run.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

I spent two days flying with PatrickP - his engine ran great all weekend. It is like night and day.

What is going on with the guys that have the kits to try out? I got to tell you, I am sympathetic to Hammbones situation with his rudder. Having said that- watching him sit on the sidelines waiting for a rudder has convinced me that I don't want an FMG kit, even if they are beautiful.

Hammbone- why don't you just stuff your engine into your buddies plane and try it out? Winter is coming......

Dave
Old 10-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Hammbone

I apologize again for the delay.
They keep telling me the rudder is going to ship next week. Then next week gets here and they tell me it's going to ship next week. Well guess what, next week never comes.
I was thinking of buying another plane from them this spring, but I don't think I will now. I'm not dealing with FMG, even though they seemed just as bad. I'm dealing with RF Modellbau, which is the new distributor for these planes. They are selling the same exact planes painted by the same painter as FMG was. FMG is no longer in business, as I understand things.

I keep hoping the rudder is going to ship any day now, but they keep giving me delayed shipping estimates.

Where are the other guys that were supposed to be testing this Patrick fix?

I'm also having problems with communication. There is one guy that speaks english and he hasn't been there for 2 weeks now. Does anyone speak German and want to help me out by making a phone call to RF Modellbau to find out what the deal is? If so, send me an e-mail or a PM and I'll give you the phone number.

Jim
Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Hammbone

I just received an e-mail saying that the rudder is ready and will ship today. Hopefully it won't be long now.............

Meanwhile, where are the reports from the other guys that are testing the Patrick fix?

Jim
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
PATRICKP

Ham,
it may be like at the drag races, someone has to get into the pre stage light first.

I can fly with out a rudder, been there done that.

Although, it sure does help to have it working back there.

We all will wait for you.

Other kit tester/testers must have been captured or are MIA, lost behind enemy lines ????
I did get a very small flicker from one of the locator beacons Friday.
We will leave no testors behind!

Dave,
Who was those guys flying to my left?
The one that flys the 40% Yak.
I was impressed with his skills at flying.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: PATRICKP

Ham,
it may be like at the drag races, someone has to get into the pre stage light first.

I can fly with out a rudder, been there done that.

Although, it sure does help to have it working back there.

We all will wait for you.

Other kit tester/testers must have been captured or are MIA, lost behind enemy lines ????
I did get a very small flicker from one of the locator beacons Friday.
We will leave no testors behind!

Dave,
Who was those guys flying to my left?
The one that flys the 40% Yak.
I was impressed with his skills at flying.

That was Mark Radcliff and it was a 35% Quique Yak.

You should be impressed. Mark was a seven time Tournament of Champions competitor (placed as high as 5th) and a five time team USA pattern team member.
He stopped flying for a while but has gotten back into the hobby. That pattern plane he had at the field (Phoenix 8) was used at the World Championships.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Hammbone

Update for anyone waiting on me:
It appears that my rudder really has been shipped (at this point, I'll believe it when I see it). It should take 8 to 12 days to get to me from Germany. This is going to make its arrival close to when I will be out of town for a few days.
I may be able to finally test Patricks fix some time around the middle of Nov though, and I will post my results as soon as I can.

Jim
Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
CUAERO BUFF

Hello all,

I am currently working on an RC aircraft design project and have been investigating several engines that will provide at least 4.4 HP at a 5000 ft density airfield. I had estimated that I would need an engine rated at 5.41 HP at sea level to compensate for attitude losses. After researching engines, I had come upon the BME Xtreme 115 at 11 HP and the 3W-70I 7.5 HP engine. I had wanted to overpower the aircraft as the engine will be used in a pusher configuration and I don't know my power losses yet.

The questions I have concern performance and potential drawings. I read in the other BME Xtreme 115 forum that this engine had potentially serious overheating problems (if it worked at all upon delivery). Now because of its SUPER light weight for the power, I thought that this would be a good investment. Should I worry? I only actually need 4.4 Hp at takeoff, so if I don’t run the RPMs up I should be okay. Yes?

Also, I was hoping that someone could give me a relative fuel consumption of the engine if they had it. That would help a lot in my fuel tank designs.

And finally, does anyone have Solidworks drawings of this engine? I don’t expect anyone to have this, but I was taught that all they can do is say no.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and even consider my concerns.

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

CU AERO BUFF,

I fly in Fort Collins and I have not had any problems with overheating at all. I do have my cowl baffled and properly vented, however. The real problem I've had on the 115 is with mid range mixture and potentially fuel puddling. This can cause hesitation and or deadstick, primarily when doing aerobatics.

Not sure exactly what your application is ... some kind of an ME or AE senior design project?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send a PM to Altavillan. He's changed to a smaller carb and is flying the snot out of his 115 using a 28" prop. Lovin' every minute of it.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: gsmarino2000

CU AERO BUFF,

I fly in Fort Collins and I have not had any problems with overheating at all. I do have my cowl baffled and properly vented, however. The real problem I've had on the 115 is with mid range mixture and potentially fuel puddling. This can cause hesitation and or deadstick, primarily when doing aerobatics.

Thanks,
Greg
If you have the modified carb try this first. Start richening the low and leaning the high. Yep, you heard me right. Go slooowly on the HIGH. If you do not have the modified carb either send the carb to Keith or look hear on RCU for the mod. If this still fails, which it shouldn't, you can always try the 3 needle carb.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
CUAERO BUFF

Does anyone have ANY idea what the fuel consumption (oz/min or such) of the BME Extreme 115 is?!

Also, what do the twin BME mufflers weight?

Any help would be appreciated as BME is afraid of phone calls and emails apparently!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The total weight of the stock BME mufflers isn't much. Under 6 ounces I'm guessing. The fuel consumption quetion is a bit tricky. What power level is being used for the factor? At full power it's on a par with any other 100cc engine at a bit over 1.5 ounces per minute. At lower rpm loads it's less. Since your original notes mention that you'll only require less that half the output of the 115 that's something to consider.

Next to consider is cooling in a pusher configuration. I work with pushers everyday and cooling airflow can be a giant problem if not approached correctly. You will not have any cooling air at zero airspeed, and even at flight speeds if the air is not perfectly ducted it will frequently never hit the engine. Be careful in ths area with any engine or size. Pushers will kill an engine rapidly and on a frequent basis if considerable care and planning are not excersized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.