Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Bad transition on Brisson 3.2?

Old 02-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad transition on Brisson 3.2?

OK, after almost a year of really dependable performance with the Brison 3.2, I'm having some problems.

First, it started acting up a bit. didn't like starting, especially after running once. Took the cover plate off the carb and cleaned the screen and thought I had a new motor. transition was better than ever. Really cool.

Then, last weekend, it was quite cool out( in the 40's in Florida!) and my throttle response started acting up, especially after a idling glide. After going full throttle and letting the motor "clear" - throttle response would be good for a time. Yesterday was quite a bit warmer, but still the throttle problems. Actually, even worse.
It would hesitate, increasing RPM in steps - like a dirtbike shifting. I tried all sorts of needle changes, but no solution. I know it shouldn't be that touchy on needles anyway.

So, I'm thinking one of two things:

A) Using the motor on a cold day finally caused a gasket in the carb to fail. I had the covers off, and didn't see anything wrong. However, The engine is second hand and I don't know how old the rubber parts are so I got a carb rebuild kit and I'll do that in the next day or so.

OR

B) The cold weather triggered the oil mix in the gas to come out of solution and maybe gum up the works or something like that. I've seen a thread from last year where Klotz oil may come out of solution in some instances and cause some gumming/clogging.

I would like to hear any other suggestions you all would have for this problem.

TIA
Old 02-13-2003, 09:41 PM
lynngordon

John,
If not the fuel or gaskets, I would look at my ignition battery circuit. I've had the same problem on a Brison 2.4 caused by a low/faulty ignition battery - voltage was good (5.1volts), but amperage output was only about 100ma. Also the switch can cause problems after a year of running - gunk in the switch causing faulty contact, or just plain worn down contacts from vibration.

After that, I would check out the spark plug. Is this on the Stinger?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, it's on the Stinger. Same day I was able to coax a full torque roll out of it it starts acting up

I kept doing them, just had to get out quicker when trouble started. Really strange. I would go vertical for 500 ft and the engine would clear out and act better - then after a long idling approach to pull into hover/TR it would get to half throttle ( enough to hover) without much problem. Then going to full when it was time to get out, it would sputter. Good thing that big wing area keeps it from falling back down too much.

Thanks for the advice - I saw what a low battery on ignition would do a couple weeks ago - just would never get to full throttle. This time 'round - it get's near full RPM - maybe slightly low- it just takes a little effort before it gets spinning full-on.