Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

CH ignition versus Chinese version.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CH ignition versus Chinese version.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default CH ignition versus Chinese version.

Is the verdict still out, or is anyone in a position to say just how good / reliable the chinese manufactured electronic ignition system (CH clone) is compared against the CH unit, which in my opinion is the industry's standard.

Karol
Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CH ignition versus Chinese version.

Now you've done it, another product war....
Bill tested all the other ignitions....He is now selling the rc exl Chinese ignition with his label on it....Good enough for me, I use Bill's US made circuit in all my Zenoah conversions and the Chinese C&H with engines that use separate ignition boxes....0 problems.If I converted the engine I will replace any of either one that ever fails, no charge...Beat that
FWIW, Bill and I are the only ones that have been doing this continuously for at least 20 years, we probably have a good idea of what works and what doesn't...
Old 03-17-2007, 02:13 PM
karolh

No desire to start another war of any kind here Ralph, but rather just asked the question on a need to know basis [8D]

Your reply explains it well enough, and if it's good enough for both Bill and yourself, that's a good indicator that it is a reliable product. I prefer the option of having the circuit housed in the engine case as it helps reduce the possibility of RF interference.

Karol
Old 03-17-2007, 02:18 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RCexcl ignitions I tested were good. The Chinese know a thing or two about electronics.
Are they RC clones? I doubt that. The RCexcl fire at 40 degrees BTDC when turned over slowly.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Antique

Still don't know why, the engines I put the exl ignition on got timed at 28 and run really well, didn't even try 40....It the timing is indeed 40 there has to be a way for that ignition to retard about 36 degrees for starting, then stop at 28 at WOT..Makes no sense to me....
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 PM
copperclad

hi
does anyone have a link to the RCexcl ignitions , thanks , dana
Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

The main reason CH is selling the ECEXL is simple, $$. How many times have you read here on RCU "Where is the cheapest place to buy xxxxx...."
We have a large box of foreign made ignitions, from bad to awful. The RC Exl was the first that showed promise. We asked RCEXL to make some changes and they did so we are now selling direct the RCEXL ignitions. A 10mm(CM6) or 14mm single is $79.95, the same in twins is $99.95. This is with a computer timing curve matching ours and a shielded plug cap.
The built in the USA CH unit is now ultra heavy duty for the UAV programs, and we will still them to the public. These units are repairable, the CHEXL units are not.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:09 PM
TrikeFlyer

all of the CDI ignition systms fire where you set the sensor (hall effect) on the crank case snout in relation to the magnet embedded in the prop hub.

None of these boxes fire at any BTDC by themselves. They only retard the spark once flipped and running. Then as rpms increase the amount of retard decreases until you reach the point of "advance" where you initally set the sensor to fire the EI from the magnet passing by.

YOU control the dregrees BTDC that the EI fires at, not the EI module by where you place the sensor IN RELATION TO the piston in degrees BTDC.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to tell ya this, but you most definately CAN change the internal timing on the CH syncro spark. Not gonna tell ya how, but there's three different advance positions that I'm aware of.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Antique

Actually 4, at least on the older ones...20 degrees total advance or 26 degrees total advance, full advance at 4000 or full advance at 6000...I really like people who tell me about my my product...
NONE of these ignitions ? I guess 18 years of making ignitions didn't tell me anything..
An ignition with no electronic control fires wherever it's initially set..Mine had no electronic contlrol..Smaller engines were set at 28 and never changed...larger engines had a mechanical control that was linear from 2 BTDC to 28 BTDC when the throttle reached wide open...
All my G26 conversions fire at 28 degrees, using the C&H HD circuit with no electronic control..Larger sizes have syncro spark....
Old 03-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Ralph, didn't mean to get ya goin'. My response was directed to TrikeFlyer and his description of how ignitions do and don't function.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:12 PM
karolh

So far so good, peace still reigns within this thread, and for sure it is certaintly helping me understand a bit more about the ignitions on our engines and how they work.

Karol
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM
copperclad

hi
i've done a few searches for RCEXL , ECEXL , and chinese ignition , still no luck finding a link , thought maybe someone here would take a minute and post it , thanks again , dana
Old 03-17-2007, 07:41 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RCexcl, have one curve, on a time basis. Principal timing at 40 btdc. After that, the curve is time controlled exponentially to sort of match an rpm curve. This then is inversed 1-1 ratio to the pic that gives the signal to the discharge electronics to fire the coil and generate the HT voltage for the spark. It seems complicated, but it is not. If the starting flip is anywhere near i.e. 700 rpm, the ignition can calculate the delay, keep it there up to 2000 rpm, and then advance from max retard to min retard (the electronically inversed curve). Inversion is at midpoint. So if you set the ignition at 40 degrees, and it must fire at 4 degrees btdc in idle, with final firining at 28 BTDC, the midpoint bias is 16 deg btdc. This is of course not rpm, but time, since electronics care a hoot about rpm.
Main thing is, that if you flip the prop dicicively during starting, you will have about 5 degrees spark advance, and when rpm rise, the advance will proceed progerssively to 28 or even 32 degrees btdc.
Like any electronic "intelligent" system, it only has one form of reasoning. The engine will bite you, if you play with the prop with ignition turned on, Do it right, and there will be no problem at all.
What is right?
once you turn the ignition on, flip that prop like you mean busines, and nothing else!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Antique

rccdi.com
go to google, search rccdi, follow the link
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 PM
copperclad

thank you RCIGN1
Old 03-18-2007, 01:15 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

cool
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
karolh

I visited the rccdi.com site and saw the specifications of their ignition circuit. Not being a electronic person it meant very little to me, however what caught my attention was the rpm range of 0-8000. My question is, what happens when it is used on an engine that has the ability to rev beyond this limit.

Karol
Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Antique

TKG has one on his G20, it works well over 8000 rpm...[8D]
Old 03-18-2007, 07:27 PM
jpanhalt

I'm just guessing, because there is not more information on the RCCDI site. But by analogy to the open source CDI thread, I assumed the rpm limit was based on the maximum current available from the intermediate voltage conversion. That is, is there enough current to fully charge the ignition capacitor in less than 7.5 ms (i.e., greater than 8000 rpm). The capacitor will still fire, if it's not fully charged, and remember that charging is exponential. That is, the last 25% of charge takes much longer than the first 25% of charge. One doesn't know where the manufacturer drew the line in setting its specifications. I suspect at higher rpm, one might see missing until the rpm fell to a point where there was enough time between cycles to charge the capacitor enough to get a reliable spark.

John
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
CopperheadAV

Karolh mentioned an RPM range of 0-8000. This is typical range, not the maximum. At 8000 RPM the Rcxel draws 3000 mA. The maximum draw is 8000 mA at an unknown RPM. We are working with RCCDI to come up with an instruction manual and further specs that are a bit more understandable. I will also come up with a clear explanation on choosing the correct hall sensor for a given application. Their English is not that great but they do their best. I will post on our web site later in the week and include the instruction manual with all the units we sell.

Cheers,
Old 03-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Antique

UHHH...You might want to read that again, 11000 MA ?
How's "there" spelling ?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
CopperheadAV

LOL,

About as good as mine Notice I edited once, maybe I should go back for a second try! Sorry, 8000 mA.

Your a good man Ralph. Did you get your Stuff??
Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Antique

Got it, been running the 45, am finishing a G45 lite to compare with the DL50 and your 45
Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Got it, been running the 45, am finishing a G45 lite to compare with the DL50 and your 45

Good Deal, Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.