Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Adjustable tuned cans

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM
isaacslaw
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable tuned cans

Hi guys -- just an idea I got. I was thinking of making my own cannister muffler after looking at some of the threads on the subject. I was thinking of making the tuned type and setting it for a 23-8 prop or so. It then occured to me that perhaps there might be a way to have a servo-activated section of the can that would shorten or lengthen it. Then, you could mix this into your throttle -- sort of like a helicopter mix -- shortening the length for low rpms and lengthening it for high rpms -- thereby always being "on the pipe". My mechanic brother turned me on to this idea suggesting that I take a look at some car mufflers called Super Trap which have a same sort of thing he says.

What do you guys think? Stupid? Not enough benefit possible? Probably it would be pretty difficult to set up at first.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adjustable tuned cans

It can be done, and has been done. Something like the electronically adjusted camshafts for automotive 4-strokes that have broadened the torque range down to very low rpm.
The problem is in the seals, that need a fair amount of force.