Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Homelite XL 927

Old 02-24-2003, 04:17 AM
wvarn1957
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelite XL 927

A couple of months ago I bought three chainsaws from the county auction. There were two Poulan 445s (75cc) and a Homelite XL 927 (81cc). I didn't have any trouble converting the Poulans, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make a mount for the Homelite. If anyone has converted this engine, how did you make the mount? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Will
Old 02-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default Homelite XL 927

Sometimes you have to get creative...Some cases can be faced off flat and the bolts holding the cases together drilled all the way through, holding the case together with threaded holes in the mount..It might be necessary to turn the crank around in the case to get the tapered end in the front...another way is to make spacers between the mount and the case, bolting the case together with flathead bolts from the mount to the threaded holes that hold the case together..There a few that defy any attempt to make a mount that could work in a plane....These never get converted.....
Old 02-24-2003, 09:01 PM
wvarn1957

Default Homelite XL 927

Rcign

The case on this engine is not split like a many of them are. Since there is a bolt on plate in the front, my original idea was to reverse the crank and just bolt a plate on. However when I disassembled the engine I found that the rear main bearing is held in place on the crank shaft with a keeper. Not only that, the shaft diameter where the bearing is mounted is 75 thou more than the front bearing.

There are three points where it is possible to tap and attach a mount. What I think will work is take a piece of 4" Al pipe and bolt it on at those three locations. I will have to weld an ear on to attach at the back of the reed block mount and then weld a plate to the pipe for the actual mount.

Will
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58053_11010.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	36106  
Old 02-25-2003, 12:51 AM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Default Homelite XL 927

I cut and ran one of those homelite engines 10 years ago and used a CB5330 mount with the 3 holes you described. Is likely still in town and could have an image taken if i can find it.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default Homelite XL 927

Looks like that will work..I just converted a Roper chainsaw that looked almost exactly like that...Same thing with the crank, there was a roller bearing on the mag side, smaller diameter that the ball bearing on the clutch side..the ball bearing is a press fit in the case and is grooved for two keeper plates that screw into the case on the inside..Maybe the Roper was made by Homelite, it's very close....This one is a 3.7. I made a 4" hollow mount and bolted the engine to the mount from the front with a 1/4-20 bolt through the bottom hole and two 5mm-.8 flatheads into the back side of the screw holes that hold the bearing retainer plates in place..I Cut off the rear shaft and put the ignition inside the mount...Works well....
Old 02-25-2003, 03:21 AM
wvarn1957

Default Homelite XL 927

I had not thought about tapping through the bearing retainer points, but it does give me some more ideas. There are three points around the rear case, the two where the bearing retainer screws are on the inside and an additional point in the casting which is not used.

Thanks for the ideas, I believe that the hollow 4" mount will work and be adequately secure.

Will
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58161_11010.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	36107