Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCS 50 VT Four stroke

Anyone running a RCS 50VT four stroke ?
    How bad does yours shake?
    what prop are you using?
    thanx in advance
    Aint no sound like big and round

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RCS 50 VT Four stroke

Hi,
    Been running one for about 3 months.

Yes they do shake more than a 2 stroke, especially at idle. I found this tended to decrease as the engine "bedded in".

At the moment I'm running a Menz S 21 x 8 prop. But I started of using a Menz 20 x 10. The engine turned the 20 x 10 at 5800 rpm.

The engine doesn't seem very powerful because of the soft exhaust note, but it pulls my 16 lb aerobat around the sky with some authority.

I think this engine is one that needs a very long time running in. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv62871.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	681365  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Marcol, I am very curious about the throttle transition of your 50VT. Do you think it would have the torque and throttle transition to power a 11-12 pound 3D plane with authority and a strong pull out of a hover? I'm looking at an 80" wing span Edge 540 profile plane from OMP.

I like 4-strokes for the torque and throttle transition quality's on my 3D models, I was just wondering if this big gasoline powered 4-stroke shared the same quality's as the smaller 20%-30% nitro powered 4-strokes, saito, OS, ect? I realize the 50cc 4-stroke engine would have to be compared to a smaller size 2-stroke for horse power, I read in another post that the 50VT might be comparable to a 30cc 2-stroke for HP which is fine since the 50VT is so light.

Would be cool to find a supercharger for this engine, or someone who could make one. Might as well make a couple rocker arm covers while i'm at it.
    Its a fool who looks for logic in the hearts of man.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i tried a 21/10 menz on mine and it turns it at 5400 when hot and 5600 when slightly warm. Have just bought a bunch of props from 19/8 up to 22/8 to experiment with. Mine has still not flown yet. I'm getting the feeling it is running hot. If it idles for a while the engine seems to lean out on it's own (cowl off). I have added baffling to the cowl, enlarged the exit, added scoop on the bottom to create a vacuum and am checking heat with temp gauge. will be doing more testing this week in garage. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	By76571.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	714592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30296.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	714593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq36557.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	714594  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

forgot to answer your questions...

does it shake ?..... mine doesn't shake much at all compared to a da 50...my da 50 shakes more...

low end torque ?....even though i haven't flown mine yet, I can tell by the low rpm pull, that it has a lot of low end torque. would be similar in comparison to a .90 os 2 stroke versus a .90 os 4-stroke.

will it 3d a 12 lb plane ?......I would be more worried about it overheating in an extended hover than if it had the power to 3d. I think it would have the power...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could be just regular break in over heating. My Saito 1.50 ran pretty hot for the first gallon or two and this was with a very rich neddle setting, it runs much cooler now that it's fully broke in. I forget the numbers but I used a temp guage and I was very worried about the heat at first, but now it stays cool even while under load. I hope to hear your 50 VT does the same in time.

Are you running a 30:1 gas oil mix? Also curious what kind of oil you use? If you are still early in break in process maybe you could just add a little extra oil to the mix for a gallon or two, only thing about that is the break in process might take longer because the extra oil may not let the parts mate together as quick due to the added oil not letting the parts grind to shape as fast and lower temp's might make the metal harder to shape or mate together. phewww i'm glad that sentence is over.

As far as whether or not this engine has 3D quality's I'll have a lot of time to figure it out while I work to save enough cash to pick one up for myself. Maybe once you solve your overheating issue you could goose the throttle a few times and let me know what the throttle transition speed is like and how flat the power band is.
    Its a fool who looks for logic in the hearts of man.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm thinking of buying one of these engines.

The cylinders are lined with nicasil.
    I was wondering what oil to use to break in an engine lined with this stuff, nothing to good or it could take a month of sundays.

Didg.
    WACO Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: outssider

i tried a 21/10 menz on mine and it turns it at 5400 when hot and 5600 when slightly warm. Have just bought a bunch of props from 19/8 up to 22/8 to experiment with. Mine has still not flown yet. I'm getting the feeling it is running hot. If it idles for a while the engine seems to lean out on it's own (cowl off). I have added baffling to the cowl, enlarged the exit, added scoop on the bottom to create a vacuum and am checking heat with temp gauge. will be doing more testing this week in garage. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Hi
    What engine mount did you use for 50 VT?
    Thanx
    aerosmok

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Marcol

Hi,
    Been running one for about 3 months.

Yes they do shake more than a 2 stroke, especially at idle. I found this tended to decrease as the engine "bedded in".

At the moment I'm running a Menz S 21 x 8 prop. But I started of using a Menz 20 x 10. The engine turned the 20 x 10 at 5800 rpm.

The engine doesn't seem very powerful because of the soft exhaust note, but it pulls my 16 lb aerobat around the sky with some authority.

I think this engine is one that needs a very long time running in. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Hi
    What engine mount did you use for 50 VT?
    Thanx
    aerosmok

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: outssider

You need to fly it to cool it. On all my gas motors, I don't run them on the ground very long, they need airflow to cool properly. And don't put too much prop on it until it's broken in.
    Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ773&P=ML

they even make one bigger...but this works great...

Unless you intend to put the tank right up against the carb, I would recommend a pump. The carb doesn't pump well even though it is a walbro. When not using a pump, I have noticed a big difference in the low end mixture when comparing a full tank to a near empty tank. If you look at the instructions, this issues is addressed and they are not kidding!! I think the reason for it's poor pumping is the fact that the case is vented, this lessons the pulsing in the vacuum/pule line. Also keep the low end mixture adjusted a bit on the sloppy rich side otherwise you will have occasional/intermittent lean spots when sometimes transitioning.

My experiences with this engine have been that it costs twice as much but works half as well and is twice as tempermental as it's competition....i thought you get what you pay for ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for your answer. You are right. It is expensive engine ( now is $100 more expensive) but has somthing... I'm going put it to my 1/3 scale Piper Cub from R. Nelitz Plans. Not to many engines fit in cowl.
    What pump did you use?
    What you thing about this engine mount:
    http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...DUBG1307&P=7&I
    Yours sincerely.
    kuba

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 50 VT will be struggling to fly a 1/3 scale cub in anything but true scale flight.

As I stated earlier this engine is no powerhouse - about the same as a Zenoah 38. As we all know it's good to have a little power in reserve when needed.

I'm not saying it won't fly a big J3, it will. But you'll have very little margin for error if anything happens.

My 50 VT is happiest on a Menz 20 x 8 and a 20" prop doesn't look very big on a 1/3 scale cub.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure, that mount will work !!

I don't think I would want to add all that weight when a glass mount would work just as well. I don't know how the engine would like being mounted with rubber either?...the engine doesn't shake all that much. Big glow 4-stokes don't have precise timing, this contributes to their shaking...this 50vt does have precise timing. I think it shakes less than my da50. I am now running a menz 23/8, it turns it at about 52-54 hundred rpm (remember that menz props are a bit shorter than advertized). I have tried props from 20/8 up to 23/8. I prefer the 8 pitch for a slower more scale like flight. The larger diameter produces a slower more even idle.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDG63&P=ML

note:you will need to make a new mounting plate, don't use aluminum; it transfers heat to the pump causing it to work poorly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Ryan looks great Outssider. This is Paul from Tulsa, and I was wondering if you had the chance to fly the Ryan yet and how the engine ran. I've flown mine on a 1/4 scale Sig cub and seems to run fine. It seems to be a good match for the cub (although there's not much gound clearance), so I'm wondering if its going to be enough engine for the Ryan.

r

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello, I am building a Warbird Hangar 9 P-47 Thonderbolt (18 lb, 80’ span).

Since I want GAS + 4 stroke, I am considering the SAITO FG36 and the MOKI 50 VT. Engine SOUND is very important for me, I don’t want to spoil a nice semi-scale Warbird with a stupid engine noise.

Between the SAITO and the MOKI, I am in favour of the Moki because it has + 1/3 displacement for the same weight (if not lighter), so it turn bigger props at lower RPS, but...this is theorical since I have not use either of them.

So, could you tell me :

- Which one has the most rΓ©alistic sound for a warbird ?
    - Where can I buy it (I am in Belgium and France). Purchase over internet is OK for me.
    - Are mounting brakets supplied ?
    - Do you know where can I get a good big aftermarket muffler for it. I wand a very β€œbass & deep” sound to make it as scale as possible.

And

- Which one is the easiest to start ?
    - Which one has the lowest GAS AND CURENT (for ignition) Cunsomption ? Do you have data on the exact GAS consumption of the motor and of the curent consumption of the electronic ignition (I use tu mave Zenoah motors, but the igintion was so ineficient that I could do only 4 flights on a 2000 mAh Lipo !!).

Do you have the used manual available for reading before purchasing ? Are there other viable alternative motor ?

Sorry for all those many questions

Many thanks in advance
    Heli Trex 450 &Hurricane 550 + Jets like my 2 Kg Panther using a SUB-Micro 200g grammes kerosene turbine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bmichels

Hello, I am building a Warbird Hangar 9 P-47 Thonderbolt (18 lb, 80’ span).

Since I want GAS + 4 stroke, I am considering the SAITO FG36 and the MOKI 50 VT. Engine SOUND is very important for me, I don’t want to spoil a nice semi-scale Warbird with a stupid engine noise.

Between the SAITO and the MOKI, I am in favour of the Moki because it has + 1/3 displacement for the same weight (if not lighter), so it turn bigger props at lower RPS, but...this is theorical since I have not use either of them.

So, could you tell me :

- Which one has the most rΓ©alistic sound for a warbird ?
    - Where can I buy it (I am in Belgium and France). Purchase over internet is OK for me.
    - Are mounting brakets supplied ?
    - Do you know where can I get a good big aftermarket muffler for it. I wand a very β€œbass & deep” sound to make it as scale as possible.

And

- Which one is the easiest to start ?
    - Which one has the lowest GAS AND CURENT (for ignition) Cunsomption ? Do you have data on the exact GAS consumption of the motor and of the curent consumption of the electronic ignition (I use tu mave Zenoah motors, but the igintion was so ineficient that I could do only 4 flights on a 2000 mAh Lipo !!).

Do you have the used manual available for reading before purchasing ? Are there other viable alternative motor ?

Sorry for all those many questions

Many thanks in advance
    I don't think either the SAITO FG36 and the MOKI 50 VT would be enough engine. The Moki 50 was compared earlier in the thread to having the power of a G38. I'm thinking your plane is going to come out heavier than 18 pounds also. I thought that I seen they were coming in at 21 to 22 pounds. The last thing you would want to do is take off and then find out it barely has enough power to fly above stall speed.
    Smooth, like Keith Stone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you able to check what kind of Walbro carb that are installed. Will try one on my Saito...
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway
    http://www.modellflynytt.no

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i would prefer that engine,much more power: KOLM 50 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11057375/tm.htm
    i#m very happy with it, great engine look at the video
    will be available in a few months here in the States by http://www.teamaeroscale.com/index.html
    its a real high power and torque 4stroke gas engine, turns the 20x12 Menz to 6400 or a 20x10 3Blade Metts-S (broad and thick blade) to 6100 rpms or a 19x11 Menz 3Blade to 6.500 rpms suited for prop dimensions up to 23x8;
    the pushrods and valves are capsuled, so no dirt can damage the engine and no oil is runing throug the model and you dont need to lube the rockrarms and the Valve-schafts......, price is about the same to moki 50 VT but having more power...
    nevertheless the RCS radials are great engines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLB-v4ezl0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And the type of carb?
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WALBRO WT 225 is used for KOLM ENGINES 50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nxOw9D_pU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEGyq...feature=relmfu

latest version Kolm50V3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsXsUCp23YI

i think that WALBRO WT225 carb is a little bit to big for the saito..... it has carbdia of 12,7mm

for good relation of the intake system the carb dia should be maximum 20% more than the intake manifold dia nearby the inlet valve....

Better for your saito is the WALBRO WT112 it has carbdia of 9,5mm

HERE are adapters for Saitos and Walbro CARBS: http://www.l-jurisch.de/index.php?page=walbro-vergaser

Glad to help You, greetings from Austria, Salzburg

Martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has the exact same carb as a G26- don't know what the model number is but I have the two carbs side by side on my bench right now.. The pulse intake is on the cover vice thru the carb body but it is drilled and tapped in. Otherwise the same.. I think that is part of the problem with this motor.. Maybe it should have a 4stroke carb and be run off of the intake pulse? He is a bit frustrated as his has never ran worth a damn.. Even with the pump it ran no better. On the saitos they are using a 4 stroke walbro- it is different- it runs off of the vaccum of the intake vice the crankcase pressure. I would think that there would be enough crankcase pressure to properly run the walbro even with a vent line. I think this is the major problem with this motor..

You guys that r running them what are your needle settings?? Paul is three turns out on the bottom end and it still wants to run too lean on the bottom end.. Then it will go slooppy rich and then die.

My g26 initially had a similar kind ofissue and when hobby services was called they immediatly sent out a new carb. I am hoping that this motor has a defective carb too.. We are going to swap out with a different carb and see if it runs better..

On the power issue.. My evolution 35- this is the first generation one on the restrictive evolution pitts muffler was spinning a mejlick 20x10 at 7700 RPM running a bit rich on the first tank of fuel.. So you guys getting 5800 on a 20x10 after break in can see the power difference..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engine is strong enough to haul my new H9 P47 30cc but not much more either.

20x8 menz at approx 6000 RPM. I have some heat issues and need baffling. Also struggling with the engine mounted inverted and Vogelsang suggested to swap the two fuel/airlines from the intake and crankcase to get the engine running well so will try that.
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here are links to videos of my 105", 20 lb Maxford Jenny. RCS 50 VT engine has one extension plus the standard muffler. Prop is a 20 x 10 Xoar wood.

http://youtu.be/lw_HSWrx6LY

http://youtu.be/YrIX-D36y5w

Oh, and just for contrast, here is a Maxford Jenny with a 2 stroke gasoline engine:

http://youtu.be/wqmmQZ_iy60
    Last edited by Wile E; 09-22-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added 3rd video
    Why, yes, that IS a flying moose!