Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G38 woes...CH to the rescue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G38 woes...CH to the rescue

I have a Zenoah G38 recently purchased from BCMA, a RC Ignitions conversion trade-in. The engine was new and has probably less than a gallon of fuel through it and after some carb issues, is was running real good. It is on a GP 25% Yak, not enough power for 3D but I am just a Sunday flier. Anyway, the other day the engine quit abruptly and after checking every possible problem, I finally determined the ignition was not functioning. You know, no spark.

It so happens I have three other engines on CH ignition. One of the nice things about CH ignitions is that if one fails, then you can just plug in another and keep flying. So, a few months ago, I ordered a new CH ignition for a spare to save down time because the turn around from Wyoming to NC is at best a couple of weeks. I had a new CH synchro spark hanging on my garage wall. I called CH and after some discussion decided to send them the G 38 with the new CH ignition to have it converted. But when I got home (I was on the road when I talked to Terry) I looked at the engine and the CH ignition and the wire to the sensor is the same on both. So I called Terry back and asked the question, if the problem was not the sensor why couldn't I snip the wire to the sensor on the engine and do the same on the sensor wire on the CH, solder them together, plug in and crank the engine. Anyway, if it didn't work nothing was lost since I had to send the whole thing to Wyoming. Terry said go for it, I did and in thirty minutes, I had the engine running good as ever.

So I cut off the original plug wire and the wire into the rear of the engine where the ignition was housed and tomorrow I will tidy up the new installation and go fly, weather permitting. The only potential future problem is with the sensor. RC Ingitions sensor is not installed the same as CH and if it fails, then it's off to Wyoming. Otherwise, I'm good to go and if I have an ignition problem, unplug and plug in a new one. Neat, huh.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G38 woes...CH to the rescue

ljones5000--you should have called Ralph (rcignitions.com) first. I believe he gives a lifetime warranty on all his ignitions.